Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fan Fiction?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Dear One-eyed Jack:
you mentioned (um, somewhere) that fan fiction/artwork could be discussed on Facebook, but I didn't see any place to do so there, other than to give a 'Like' to something. But, I'm not really comfortable doing so (perhaps because I am not that used to Facebook). I'd like to say things such as 'that was a very poetic ending' or 'I really like the sensitivity you depicted between the characters', etc. Perhaps stories could be discussed as well, which could be really fun. I can see perhaps where such a forum would not work: negative criticism could be very devastating. But if people followed rules for civility, and remembered what my mom always said: 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'... I don't know if this would be too unwieldly or difficult to do, or completely impractical, and I know you have plenty of work already! But it just is something I have been thinking about.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Administrator
I'll think about it.

Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Oct 15, 2012
personally i think that people should be allowed to say they did not like it but i guess they should be nice about it

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
As another fan-fiction author and pirate poet, I often dream of this kind of feedback source! Having a place where I can browse through feedback to alter my work to fit the visions of my readers would be just perfect.
However, current situations have forced me to avoid venturing into the realm of Facebook and I doubt those situations are going to let up any month soon. If there was a general fan-work section of the message boards, I'd be just delighted. Already, I'm exchanging quick comments with readers in-game when I mention the story, and get the occasional compliment here (nods to Anne), but if there was a place where I could find genuine feedback that I could access, I'd be able to at last perfect my work.
A messagebaords style type of section would be very helpful as the lot of us can access it. Also, rude or very unhelpful bits of criticism would not surface while the constructive bits could shine. I don't know how something like this would impact those who moderate the forums (cough, Jack) but it would be a very good move in my opinion. Please take this into consideration.

Viva los Piratas!

D.S. Devereaux

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
thatonevalenciansw... on May 18, 2013 wrote:
personally i think that people should be allowed to say they did not like it but i guess they should be nice about it
That's a very good point. I personally value knowing what people didn't like more than what they enjoyed. What I was worried about was flat-out criticism.

See, what I like seeing is:

Hey! I wasn't so into that part as much, mainly because your characters seemed to say a few generic things as well as betray the personalities you gave them a few weeks ago.

That's called constructive criticism. Even a 'That was boring' would make me improve. (Fun fact - that was me critiquing my own writing.) However, there's the flat-out criticism that many writers don't appreciate:

No...just no. I hate your writing and I never want to see it again. Never submit ever again, RAWRR!

What separates the two is that one gives something to work on while the other one is just mean. If the feedback were to be submitted messageboards-style, things could be moderated out.

Hope that helped!

D.S. Devereaux

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
DS Devereaux on May 18, 2013 wrote:
As another fan-fiction author and pirate poet, I often dream of this kind of feedback source! Having a place where I can browse through feedback to alter my work to fit the visions of my readers would be just perfect.
However, current situations have forced me to avoid venturing into the realm of Facebook and I doubt those situations are going to let up any month soon. If there was a general fan-work section of the message boards, I'd be just delighted. Already, I'm exchanging quick comments with readers in-game when I mention the story, and get the occasional compliment here (nods to Anne), but if there was a place where I could find genuine feedback that I could access, I'd be able to at last perfect my work.
A messagebaords style type of section would be very helpful as the lot of us can access it. Also, rude or very unhelpful bits of criticism would not surface while the constructive bits could shine. I don't know how something like this would impact those who moderate the forums (cough, Jack) but it would be a very good move in my opinion. Please take this into consideration.

Viva los Piratas!

D.S. Devereaux
Well I do have a Fan Fiction story running on the Message Boards. Here it is: https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/cant-you-just-get-the-new-world-here-already-8ad6a4143df549e5013e242d00cc519f.