Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

So much dodge!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know about you but I think the swashbuckler mobs in the game have too much dodge.Especially in Mooshu.The only one of my companions who can actually hit is Bonnie.That dodge is too much.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Did any of your companions get training in accuracy? If they did and are still not able to hit, that is a different issue than one who got all training in , say- will, health, and damage. Can you tell us about their training?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MooshuFanatic500 on Apr 20, 2013 wrote:
I don't know about you but I think the swashbuckler mobs in the game have too much dodge.Especially in Mooshu.The only one of my companions who can actually hit is Bonnie.That dodge is too much.
That is when you use strategy my fellow pirate. When you have to battle the nimble dodgers just move your witchdoctor and musketeer companions to the top spots. They have hits that cannot be dodged.

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
Accuracy is the first talent I train on companions if they can train it so that isn't my problem.
I usually train what they need to boost damage and then I do health then I do other random things.

My witchdoctor compaions are always benched and I only have two musketeers.
I still have my privateer and swashbuckler to get past the game so I need away around their dodge.I only beat them becuase my buccaneer was wearing dodgy clothes

Developer

Well that's a problem right there.

Witchdoctors with area of effect attacks can't be dodged; and musketeers have the high accuracy to match the high dodge of the many swashbucklers in Mooshu.

Take those guys out of storage, train them up, and see how it goes.

I would definitely put Bonnie Anne and Old Scratch in your top four companions.

If you didn't finish the Bounty Quests in Cool Ranch, consider going back and finishing them, because that will give you another Musketeer: Rooster Cogburn. He's available to everybody regardless of what class you're playing.

Community Leader
I found El Toro's accuracy bonus power really helpful, enough that he was my first mate through most of Mooshu for both my Witchdoctor and my Privateer.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
My first pirate to reach MooShoo had the same reaction. Some of what I learned has already been mentioned. Here is what I learned: Keep accuracy maximized for your crew, and go for gear for your pirate that emphasizes accuracy. Use either el Toro or Bonnie Anne for your first mate, and keep the other in the second slot so he/she shows up fairly frequently. El Toro's ability that increases accuracy helps a lot, and with Bonnie Anne, take a turn to move her where she can catch most of the baddies in her shotgun area of effect - it reduces their dodging ability considerably.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I agree about Bonnie Anne. My swashbuckler did not have the problem you've been having because Bonnie is usually my firstmate. I make heavy use of her reduce dodge mass attack and have ever since Skull Island fighting jellyfish. Now that I have El Toro to raise accuracy I use that too. If you really want to tough it out without musketeers or witchdoctors, perhaps you can find some clothes as drops that have a musketteer or witchdoctor attack. When you run into a group that looks too dodgy, change hat or coat to give some other options. You can also look into the other school trainers. How does your privateer's barrage do against the dodge? When you run your other pirates in Mooshu, I expect it might be a bit different, each school has it's strengths and weaknesses. As a swashbuckler, I'm good in close fighting and I like to have crew that can stand back and hit the ones I can't reach. As a musketteer, I like to have some buckaneers and swashbucklers that run forward and shield me while I shoot. As a privateer, I keep busy boosting my crew abilities, attacking from afar, and getting some good hits in.
Sometimes the higher gear will not help you as much as lower items can. So far I've skipped some 3% and 4% accuracy tokens that had 40 health added. Instead I use a 3% accuracy/3% dodge token with a 3% accuracy/3% dodge ring. I have less health than I could, but I have 6% accuracy from the 2 items and I bet the 6% dodge makes up for the health points I didn't gain. Also, when they miss me I can reposte.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Calamity Finch on Apr 24, 2013 wrote:
I agree about Bonnie Anne. My swashbuckler did not have the problem you've been having because Bonnie is usually my firstmate. I make heavy use of her reduce dodge mass attack and have ever since Skull Island fighting jellyfish. Now that I have El Toro to raise accuracy I use that too. If you really want to tough it out without musketeers or witchdoctors, perhaps you can find some clothes as drops that have a musketteer or witchdoctor attack. When you run into a group that looks too dodgy, change hat or coat to give some other options. You can also look into the other school trainers. How does your privateer's barrage do against the dodge? When you run your other pirates in Mooshu, I expect it might be a bit different, each school has it's strengths and weaknesses. As a swashbuckler, I'm good in close fighting and I like to have crew that can stand back and hit the ones I can't reach. As a musketteer, I like to have some buckaneers and swashbucklers that run forward and shield me while I shoot. As a privateer, I keep busy boosting my crew abilities, attacking from afar, and getting some good hits in.
Sometimes the higher gear will not help you as much as lower items can. So far I've skipped some 3% and 4% accuracy tokens that had 40 health added. Instead I use a 3% accuracy/3% dodge token with a 3% accuracy/3% dodge ring. I have less health than I could, but I have 6% accuracy from the 2 items and I bet the 6% dodge makes up for the health points I didn't gain. Also, when they miss me I can reposte.
Well said . Lot's of good stuff here. It would do many of us good to stop and absorb these wonderful points.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
Ratbeard on Apr 23, 2013 wrote:

Witchdoctors with area of effect attacks can't be dodged; and musketeers have the high accuracy to match the high dodge of the many swashbucklers in Mooshu.

If you didn't finish the Bounty Quests in Cool Ranch, consider going back and finishing them, because that will give you another Musketeer: Rooster Cogburn. He's available to everybody regardless of what class you're playing.
i still think that companions miss way to often! i mean maybe someone would love witchdoctor but hate musketeers in that case he ends up using companions he dont like. i think that accuracy should be more ballenced beteen classes!

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013

Bonnie is always my firstmate from Monquista until I promote my starter.Old scratch is only really good fully promoted so I guess I can look into doing it as soon as possible instead of waiting to finish the game...And my witchdoctors always fizzle so that is another thing........

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

RATBEARD, what are you talking about?? scratch doesnt have any indodgeable damage over areas ......

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Speed Switch on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
RATBEARD, what are you talking about?? scratch doesnt have any indodgeable damage over areas ......
x resists rolling eyes x lol. Yes he does. Try training him and be sure to make use of Mojo Echo. Scratch will surprise you with how many times he can get in an undodgable hit in only one turn. Sure a fizzle can happen but when a properly trained Scratch is turned loose on them they will start squealing like little girls .

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
Vinny Ace on Apr 24, 2013 wrote:
i still think that companions miss way to often! i mean maybe someone would love witchdoctor but hate musketeers in that case he ends up using companions he dont like. i think that accuracy should be more ballenced beteen classes!
Preach!
And that's what I am wondering...

Developer
Speed Switch on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
Promote him.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
i have mojo echo on scratch and tbh he still misses way to often. With only 47 acc at level 50

When a maxed WD companion misses 4 times in a row to a level 20 enemy npc its a junk companion.Very rare that i see maxed players use their WD companions a few players may have luck with them but from my many months here the many that find them useless far outweigh the few that don't find them useless

Ofc as a witchdoctor player as my first char bonnie wasn't much needed in the front line since skills are unblockable/undgeable and by mooshu WDs have loads of skills

I used all swashbuckler companions in the first line with el toro in lead giving max acc/dge in stats+the acc/dge buff from el toro also adding relentless/ripsote as the only epic talents minus monkey king who came with first strike.

With that i mowed mooshu units down.

Im closing in on mooshu with both my muskeeter and swashbuckler my 2nd and 3rd chars and i have my companions set up diff based on needs like my muskeeter uses more buckeeners up front with alot of immob/hold the line/repel epics and my swash i have mixed units between musk/swash upfront with burst/relentless mixes

Just my playstyle and on all 3 chars WD companions are benched

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Ratbeard on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
Promote him.
what? ratbeard, my scratch IS fully promoted -_- you cant give scratch any indodgeable skills that hit an area, unless i am srsly mistaken ... if your talking about improved mojo blast, it is NOT in dodge able, speaking of which, isnt scratch always suppose to fizzle upon an attack that failed? they still dodge him sometimes :p

now, can someone, anyone tell me what skill scratch have that is indodgeable AND hit multiple targets??

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
x resists rolling eyes x lol. Yes he does. Try training him and be sure to make use of Mojo Echo. Scratch will surprise you with how many times he can get in an undodgable hit in only one turn. Sure a fizzle can happen but when a properly trained Scratch is turned loose on them they will start squealing like little girls .
no -_- it isnt undodgeable, because there is still a chance, a big chance for them to dodge, it isnt indodgeable unless you can click that attack and say, well i KNOW they cant dodge this, scratch is not a good suggestion for trying to nullify someone dodge, he has HORRIBLE accuracy, after all, his eyes are rolling in his head

so, No he doesn't.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Speed Switch on Apr 26, 2013 wrote:
what? ratbeard, my scratch IS fully promoted -_- you cant give scratch any indodgeable skills that hit an area, unless i am srsly mistaken ... if your talking about improved mojo blast, it is NOT in dodge able, speaking of which, isnt scratch always suppose to fizzle upon an attack that failed? they still dodge him sometimes :p

now, can someone, anyone tell me what skill scratch have that is indodgeable AND hit multiple targets??
Scratch has Improved Mojo Blast, which makes his normal attack hit multiple enemies at once. This also makes his chance to hit based only on his accuracy and does not take into account the enemies dodge. That is what Ratbeard meant by undodgeable.

So use Scratch or any other witchdoctor with Improved Mojo Blast (which I think is only Mormo, but I could be wrong) against high dodge enemies because their chance to miss is the same no matter the enemy.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Witchdoctor's have low accuracy to supplement their ability to hit multiple targets at once; that's the trade-off. Though old scratch can't train accurate, he can still do allot of damage to multiple targets via improved mojo blast (rank 1 lets him hit up to 5 foes at once, while rank 2 lets him hit up to 9 foes at once). if you're not careful. Yes he fizzles every now and then, but hey, even bonnie anne with her high accuracy (109 to be exact) doesn't always hit the foes she targets. Old scratch is my lv.50 witchdoctor's firstmate and as been that way for a very long time (probably since I got him even).

Like ratbeard said, if you're not using musketeer and witchdoctor comps, then that's where your problem lies at. You gotta learn to use what makes your units special/unique to your advantage, otherwise you're just gonna keep having trouble throughout the game.

TL;DR The trade-off for low acc. for wd's is the ability to hit multiple foes at once, & not every comp. is gonna be able to hit 24/7. Just learn to work with your comps. special abilities & not against them & you should be just fine from here on out.

I hope that I was able to help some.

Developer
A YAR for flash33!

Witchdoctors can fizzle; but if they are attacking with an area-of-effect attack, the chance to fizzle is independent of the enemies' Dodge scores. It doesn't matter how dodgy they are, you have the same chance to HIT or FIZZLE.

So again: If you're up against dodgy enemies, Old Scratch is a good choice. (Not as good as Bonnie Anne in my opinion, but still good.)

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
KiwiChickenz on Apr 26, 2013 wrote:
Scratch has Improved Mojo Blast, which makes his normal attack hit multiple enemies at once. This also makes his chance to hit based only on his accuracy and does not take into account the enemies dodge. That is what Ratbeard meant by undodgeable.

So use Scratch or any other witchdoctor with Improved Mojo Blast (which I think is only Mormo, but I could be wrong) against high dodge enemies because their chance to miss is the same no matter the enemy.
so basically your saying he is saying, becasue the enemy cant step out the way and make the curse miss then it is undodgeable? no it isnt, and then explain to me how come he can never land a hit on kobe, but he can on bonnie? it is because kobe has more, MUCH more dodge, or in this case, block

bottom line is, scratch does NOT have any damage over area that cant be dodge/blocked, because even if there are nine people in a nine square radius and you aim at the center of them to hit all nine, ANYONE of them can dodge to trash the WHOLE attack.