Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A friendly warning to all PvP fans

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 30, 2012
PvP is very near and dear to my heart so I could not resist tossing my two cents into the mix.

Obviously like the rest of you I’m still getting to know the new PvP system in pirates and would hardly call myself an expert but I am a veteran of MMORPG PvP in several other popular titles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I’m just here to ask everyone to please be very careful when tossing words like overpowered around. Changing classes in order to “balance” them in PvP is a very slippery slope and get out of hand very very fast I’ve seen it before.

Each class has pros and cons. That is why there are different classes to choose from in the first place.

If you find yourself winning consistently against one class and yet consistently getting beaten by another class it doesn’t automatically mean something is overpowered.
You my comrade in arms are experiencing the pros and cons that go with your chosen class and to me that is balance right there.

Also please keep in mind that you can cross-train in other classes to help compensate for any perceived weaknesses in your pirate, it’s impossible to make everyone happy and that you can’t win them all.

Remember my friends nerf is a 4-letter word.
Don’t provoke the nerf beast! It’s hungry and knows no mercy!

Community Leader
NinjaKing2012 on Dec 19, 2012 wrote:
PvP is very near and dear to my heart so I could not resist tossing my two cents into the mix.

Obviously like the rest of you I’m still getting to know the new PvP system in pirates and would hardly call myself an expert but I am a veteran of MMORPG PvP in several other popular titles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I’m just here to ask everyone to please be very careful when tossing words like overpowered around. Changing classes in order to “balance” them in PvP is a very slippery slope and get out of hand very very fast I’ve seen it before.

Each class has pros and cons. That is why there are different classes to choose from in the first place.

If you find yourself winning consistently against one class and yet consistently getting beaten by another class it doesn’t automatically mean something is overpowered.
You my comrade in arms are experiencing the pros and cons that go with your chosen class and to me that is balance right there.

Also please keep in mind that you can cross-train in other classes to help compensate for any perceived weaknesses in your pirate, it’s impossible to make everyone happy and that you can’t win them all.

I hear you. The devs have stated that they will err on the side of buffing rather than nerfing, but sometimes that isn't possible. That's why I'm glad they rolled out PvP early with this practice version rather than the full ranked version all at once. Not only does it give us a chance to complete the main game before we have to worry about PvP, but it also gives us the chance to find out where the troubles might come from. They seem to very much want to listen to our feedback, so keep posting everyone!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Dec 20, 2012 wrote:
I hear you. The devs have stated that they will err on the side of buffing rather than nerfing, but sometimes that isn't possible. That's why I'm glad they rolled out PvP early with this practice version rather than the full ranked version all at once. Not only does it give us a chance to complete the main game before we have to worry about PvP, but it also gives us the chance to find out where the troubles might come from. They seem to very much want to listen to our feedback, so keep posting everyone!
I can take three teams, head on lower than lvl 15 and I'm a so I think this class is epic but usually when I lose it's from a higher lvl.

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
Talkin The Plank on Dec 20, 2012 wrote:
I just think its unfair witchdoctors have such dang OP attacks while privateers have low attack and no attack cards

Ensign
Jun 17, 2009
Indeed, I've been through a few MMOs myself; and PVP is something I've enjoyed in every one. I also second the OPs words. Certain people always feel a need to complain because they can't win all the time, so they ask to nerf a specific class so they can kill it easier. This never goes well, and it just ends up ruining the game PVP wise.

I'm all for moderate buffing rather than complete gimping. If anything, this'll be the first MMO that I've been to that doesn't gimp a class because 5 people complained it was overpowered! I've seen far too many nerf bats being swung amongst the various MMOs I've been to, and I hope not to see it in this one. I also love the fact that they're actually listening to us! I've never seen a dev team do that; almost brings me to tears.

Glad this topic was posted. Good stuff, OP, good stuff!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
NinjaKing2012 on Dec 19, 2012 wrote:

Excellent post! This is something that I've tried to explain to people over and over and over again.

Unfortunately, some people have blinders on and can't see the forest through the trees. There will always be those that do nothing but whine because they don't know how to win or play correctly.

Ensign
May 02, 2010
i thought all houses was going to have pratice area

Community Leader
wolfleader2010 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
i thought all houses was going to have pratice area
No. So far only the Volcano House from the Boochbeard bundle and one other one have it (the house from the Cutthroat bundle, I think).

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
So far what I am seeing by having three different characters is that no matter what character I play, even against characters of the same type as myself, my characters are all over powered as they seem to always win hands down. As such I am of the belief after reading many posts on the forums that many of the comparison complaints being made are more about player skill or lack of it then about characters actually being imbalanced. Ya, you run against a well equipped player who knows how to play and train companions properly and move them about the board in the best possible way and you are going to think their class is over powered cause they just blew you away like you were nothing. That has a lot to do with the player in many cases and not so much with what they are playing though they might be a bit stronger on some some of their characters than others, then again they might not have the best equipment upon all of them either or the character type might not fit their personality that well.

Community Leader
seasnake on Dec 25, 2012 wrote:
So far what I am seeing by having three different characters is that no matter what character I play, even against characters of the same type as myself, my characters are all over powered as they seem to always win hands down. As such I am of the belief after reading many posts on the forums that many of the comparison complaints being made are more about player skill or lack of it then about characters actually being imbalanced. Ya, you run against a well equipped player who knows how to play and train companions properly and move them about the board in the best possible way and you are going to think their class is over powered cause they just blew you away like you were nothing. That has a lot to do with the player in many cases and not so much with what they are playing though they might be a bit stronger on some some of their characters than others, then again they might not have the best equipment upon all of them either or the character type might not fit their personality that well.
I imagine some of that will go away once ranked PvP is introduced and people are facing opponents that are more their equal. That's also when the real "nerf them, buff us" talks begin.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I imagine some of that will go away once ranked PvP is introduced and people are facing opponents that are more their equal. That's also when the real "nerf them, buff us" talks begin.
I'm not quite so sure on that as the main character often tends to take more of a back role to their companions, so if you are good at companion play which many simply aren't your main character impacts the outcome a bit less. I assume people will complain and want to see privateers nerfed, but if they are it would be a very bad thing as privateers don't really have any attacks other than what they can get on cards on their equipment, they were always meant to take a companion buffing and healing advantage or else there wouldn't be any reason to have one given their lack of attacks.

Community Leader
seasnake on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I'm not quite so sure on that as the main character often tends to take more of a back role to their companions, so if you are good at companion play which many simply aren't your main character impacts the outcome a bit less. I assume people will complain and want to see privateers nerfed, but if they are it would be a very bad thing as privateers don't really have any attacks other than what they can get on cards on their equipment, they were always meant to take a companion buffing and healing advantage or else there wouldn't be any reason to have one given their lack of attacks.
The same should be said of the Buccaneer. It seems like they were meant to buff/protect just like the Privateers do but in a defensive way instead of an offensive way. It might balance the game out a bit for Bucks if they were given a few more ways to protect their crew . . . like an defense buff to all group members or, for PvE, an AoE taunt ability. For PvP, they could add an ability that made a certain crew member un-targetable for a few turns or maybe whatever damage the target takes if absorbed by the larger health pool and better mitigation of the buck. Hopefully they'll tell us soon what they plan on doing with this class. Right now I think it's at the bottom of everyone's list.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Yes i agree with you. I fought, and beat, a swashbuckler my level. He totally thought musketeers were over powered. He was sort of like, "That dumb reduce dodge, so overpowered!" I could say "That dumb 800 damage hit, so overpowered!" It's all a matter of class. Only class that needs any buffing is the buccaneer class

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50