Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is with all the 0's in combat?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
When you use certain attacks and hit 8 or 9 times with it and the last 4 or 5 hits or whatever are always 0, I fail to understand what that means. Does that mean as I level up those 0's will eventually do more than 0 or will they always do 0? Its frustrating to see 0 after 0 after zero time and time again. To complicate the matter, the numbers before the 0's often seem to add up to more damage than what I believe I see those being hit actually take. Case in point I see around 6 or 7 hits all landing at around 40 damage each and then when I look at what I just hit I only see 100 damage actually recorded. I don't know if I trust multi-attack damage much as a consequence.

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
seasnake on Nov 22, 2012 wrote:
When you use certain attacks and hit 8 or 9 times with it and the last 4 or 5 hits or whatever are always 0, I fail to understand what that means. Does that mean as I level up those 0's will eventually do more than 0 or will they always do 0? Its frustrating to see 0 after 0 after zero time and time again. To complicate the matter, the numbers before the 0's often seem to add up to more damage than what I believe I see those being hit actually take. Case in point I see around 6 or 7 hits all landing at around 40 damage each and then when I look at what I just hit I only see 100 damage actually recorded. I don't know if I trust multi-attack damage much as a consequence.
I believe its that the enemy has resist so it ends up doing 0 damage, like in wizard where people are immune. This happens with my brother's Billy Kidd and my Emmet for critical hits. It happens quite a bit, but you just have to get over it.

Silent Amber 50 Swashbuckler

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
I never see a bunch of zeros when my friend does it. Is is just because you might be a lower level?

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
I've seen the odd time when 0's pop up, though I think I have actually seen it more from enemies attacking me (or my crew), than vice versa. The first hit always does damage but then sometime into the multi hits, the damage becomes 0's.

I also agree about there being something fishy with the multi damage pop-ups of how much damage the hits are doing. I've fought against things with ~80 health left, and hit with a 12,12,12,12,12,64, and the enemy is still alive with ~8-24 health left. I even thought at one point that maybe the "big" hit at the end of multi-hit combos might be a "total damage dealt in this attack" kind of thing - but 5 hits of 12 does not hit 64, so I am at a loss. I see the enemy health bar go down little by little with each hit, and the last hit does seem to be the biggest health drop, but the numbers don't jive.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
This was happening in Beta, and I had thought it was fixed, until recently, when I saw my otter companion, Emmet, hit for 100, then for 1 on the second shot.

This is NOT from resistance as it's been put. Having a multi-shot hit the enemy, then have the last few shots say "0" has to be an error. It's hard to tell whether the shots actually cause damage, because some of the shooting is very quick and the damage numbers kinda run together.

I've seen it at high and low level.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
I've noticed this most with Billy the Kid. At first I thought it was just Billy hitting that max number against a single target since it was always the last couple of numbers, but the total doesn't come close to what my Swashbuckler is able to generate. Also the resist check comes in between attacks not during the middle (or so how I understand it), so it shouldn't be a block or dodge maneuver. I also don't think this is resist checks, because sometimes the number will come up as 1. What ability is the enemy using to create that kind of resist?

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
I have seen this happening again recently. It was happening in beta, and then it seemed like it was fixed when the game went live, but the last couple of days I have seen it happen again.

Developer
It's a display issue on the client side that has to do with how we display the damage to you.

A multi-hit attack isn't really doing multiple hits-- on the server side, all the damage is applied in one lump sum.

But when we play back the animations for you, when we divide out the damage into multiple hits, sometimes there are incorrect 0's displayed.

We are working to clean up those messy 0's every time we find them!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Been happening all the time for me since the start of the game with all multi attacks. I just assumed it was more of a display error. It's hard to tell the amount of damage actually done.