Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

10 pages of quests and 6 hours later... your

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
companion is now able to upgrade and get one extra talent.... a lot of these companion training quests are just very very time consuming, long, having you defeat horde after horde, having you run through every map making it so you can quickly port back anywhere, and all for a single talent that other companions recieve simply by spending a little bit of gold.... one has to wonder, are these quests even worth doing given that they often aren't even upon companions that are high up in companion order

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Doing the promotion quests should not even be a matter of whether you want to do them or not. You should do them asap regardless of how long it takes.

A single epic can go a long way if it came to having that companion as your ally in a fight.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
I'm sort of split on this one myself, on the one hand I would love to see more promotion quests in general, but I really hate chasing through almost every map I've ever been to to collect banana's and gun parts and whatever else seems to crop up as needed.
It would be great if promotion quests only had me running around in one or two map areas and maybe gave a free teleport back to the collection area when you have all of the bits you need.
I also think that if you go to all of the trouble of doing a promotion quest you should always get at least two epic abilities.
Bonny Anne's second promotion had me tearing my hair out, at least until I got to Ratbeard's second promotion quest. I really, really hate the hat Ratbeard gets with his second promotion.

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012

I vote fer companion control, hardyharhar

Community Leader
zenkidkailen on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
I'm sort of split on this one myself, on the one hand I would love to see more promotion quests in general, but I really hate chasing through almost every map I've ever been to to collect banana's and gun parts and whatever else seems to crop up as needed.
It would be great if promotion quests only had me running around in one or two map areas and maybe gave a free teleport back to the collection area when you have all of the bits you need.
I also think that if you go to all of the trouble of doing a promotion quest you should always get at least two epic abilities.
Bonny Anne's second promotion had me tearing my hair out, at least until I got to Ratbeard's second promotion quest. I really, really hate the hat Ratbeard gets with his second promotion.
I actually laughed out loud. I hate Ratbeard's new hat as well. It's weird because for all the other companions, the promotions make them look cooler, but Ratbeard's promotion makes him look a little silly, mostly because of that hat. Also, when he shows up with my pirate's colors, his hat is pink. So at least it's amusingly bad.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
I almost always look forward to my companions promotions.
Some do seem a bit tedious.
Unfortunately IMO the only way this could at all be adjusted would be to make the promotion quests easier/shorter.
Although it would be real cool for companions to perhaps get more epic talents, etc, they arent necessary, and might have a rather large effect on game balance and difficulty.

Having played my last pirate holding out on all companion training as long as I could has given me better understanding and appreciation for companions and their roles. If my low level companions that I was fighting with had more epic talents on their initial promotions, I could have held out much longer.
As it was, I trained my level 8 companions when I got to level 22. Coolest thing about it is now I have companions that are almost my level and I have 80 training tomes saved for later as I continue to progress. ;)

So I am all for them easing these quests up a bit, but dont think they should give us "more" abilities/talents. What we are given seems to be a good balance to me, and we need to leave them stuff to give us later as they add new content.

OFxSaint
Silent Sam Stern - Level 50 - Witchdoctor

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
As an example, for Bonnie Anne's second promotion.

first you go to a bar and talk to her,
then it's off to the kraken skulls to talk to reedy Mary,
then to port regal to meet M.
Now off to Jonah town and Lucius Fox,
back to port regal to sink armada ships,
now go see Catbeard.
Off to puerto Mico to get the scope that doesn't actually appear on the gun,
back to gullet and Lucius Fox.
Now we're off to coopers roost to see Quigly,
Be patient, we're almost halfway there.
Now we need bullets from the hornet cave in gold creek,
back to coopers roost to have Quigly tell us the gun may kick,
back to port regal for a last minute meeting with M,
and now we're finally off to Monte Regal to actually do the job,
but wait to add to the ambiguity we don't actually get to do the job. Instead we run away.
OK, now back to Port regal again to talk to M and we're off to the bar.

After completing this and turning it in, Bonnie Anne gets one epic ability, the same as all of the non quest promotion companions, who just cost 100 gold per level at promotion.
And don't get me started of the frustration and loathing that the Louie La Bisque promotion quest put me through.
El Toro on the other hand was a very enjoyable quest. Every thing except his new outfit took place in Mooshu, and let's face it, El Toro is funny! Especially after promotion if you have an entertaining set of flag colors (Can't wait to see his purple and green luchadore outfit when a witchdoctor friend of mine promotes him.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
"(Can't wait to see his purple and green luchadore outfit when a witchdoctor friend of mine promotes him." That sounds scary. But funny, especially when he does his swing from the chandelier crit.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Talkin The Plank on Nov 26, 2012 wrote:
I actually laughed out loud. I hate Ratbeard's new hat as well. It's weird because for all the other companions, the promotions make them look cooler, but Ratbeard's promotion makes him look a little silly, mostly because of that hat. Also, when he shows up with my pirate's colors, his hat is pink. So at least it's amusingly bad.
Well you can't blame Ratbeard for that, a pirate in pink! Horror!

Ensign
Feb 07, 2009
I can understand why someone might not like these quests, but I DO like them. I hope they don't make them too much easier if they make them easier at all. But, I think some of the tedium could be removed by making travel not quite so time-consuming. Well, of course all of the quests that involve a lot of travel would become less tedious. ;-)

Developer
Rest assured that we will continue to provide a mix: some characters with an EASY button, and some characters for all you crazy people who appreciate interesting story lines, long journeys, and dialogue with other characters.