Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Training Point Adjustments

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 17, 2011
In the help it says train lower level companions first, that the points will "go further" to level them up. This is true except there is a cap on the number of levels each point can give. It appears as though the cap is 2 levels.

2 level cap is cheap, and not fair for the cost of training points (which is already too expensive).

Explanation:
At level 45, training points cost 4200? or so. So, buy two companion training points and save them
At level 50, training points are over 5000.

At level 50, train a companion who's level 45 - they level up to 47. By comparison, use the same training points to train a companion at level 43 - what happens? they level up to 45 only.

I expected the training points at level 50 (because they cost more) to be worth more, so I expected the companion to level from 43 to 46 or 47 (value of the training point should be more) - but sadly, it is not.

This leaves me frustrated with a) the cost of the training points, b) the value of the training points, and c) the value of even trying to train my companions at all.

Enhancement suggestion:
What I would like: EITHER of the two:
a) cost of the training points to be capped at 4200 gold (after main character level 43)
OR
b) the training points purchased at higher levels to go further (to level up lower level companions BEYOND 2 levels)

Thanks,
Evan Ironside

Developer
There is not a 2 level cap on levels gained.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Nov 12, 2012 wrote:
Oh, Ratbeard, so effusive and sunny! You're a people person, I can tell!

While yes, it is technically true that there isn't a two-level cap on companion training, in order to get more than two levels per point, you've really got to let a companion languish. The best I've managed is three levels per point on a few companions at the very bottom of my list.

The problem is that, by scrupulously saving points, you have to risk having tremendously under-powered companions appear in battle, possibly losing you that battle. Even >1% chance is still a chance.

While I understand the idea behind a level-based increase in the cost of training points, I know from experience that it can put players in a tight financial bind at higher levels.

Community Leader
It takes at least 4, maybe 5 tomes to raise a companion from level 49 to level 50.
4 x 5100 (cost of tome at level 50) = 20400 (or 25500 if we use 5)
Consider having 20+ companions....
20 x 20400 = 400800 (or 510000)

This is an insurmountable amount of gold with the newly nerfed economics in the game that will only escalate into more dissention, frustration, and unhappy players as new content updates, and level caps come along compounding the issue. I understand companion management is a big part of the game, please make it so they are "manageable". As it is, a smart player avoids obtaining companions altogether... too many mouths to feed.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
If you want to raise your companions all the way to your level (cap), you'll have to pay for it. The "tight financial bind" is entirely under your control.

While you are out farming for gold to fund your profligate training point habits, you may even discover that it's no particular hardship to get a low-level companion curve-ball every now and then.

People person? Pshaw. Keep in mind that the last time I got together with a bunch of friends, they all ended up poisoned at the dinner table.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
I found, a somewhat happy medium by keeping half my companions at -3 levels and the other half at -4 then increasing the bottom half each level by two levels each (for one point each).

Each level I swap the order around so the higher level ones are more towards the front and so far I’ve rarely had to purchase any training points.

The exception is any new companions I gain normally keep towards the front in the order as they usually arrive a couple of levels higher then I am.

This seems to works well as a Privateer, but I do often have to do a lot of healing (which a Privateer is good at) so I’m not sure if it will work well with all classes.

More training points form quests would always be welcome however.

Community Leader
"If you want to raise your companions all the way to your level (cap), you'll have to pay for it. The "tight financial bind" is entirely under your control."

I thank you for the compliment, but 'entirely' goes a bit wide of the mark, I think. Yes, choosing to have companions who are not woefully behind in skill training is entirely up to me, but you devs are the ones on the other side of the Pirate transmission. You control the horizontal. You control the vertical.

"While you are out farming for gold to fund your profligate training point habits, you may even discover that it's no particular hardship to get a low-level companion curve-ball every now and then."

Profligate? Flatterer! That's the nicest thing anyone has called me in weeks. (Though how profligate I could possibly be these days is in question, what with the recent Miranda vertical and horizontal controlling and all.)

And while it's not a hardship per se, it certainly is a cause for reevaluating one's commitment to one's captain. I mean, how is the rest of the crew to view their captain after she's sent that poor, unsuspecting, under-trained Red Shir... er, Crab Hermit, out into he middle of battle as a sacrificial meat-shield?

No, no, best to keep them all up to par and battle-ready. That way, when the snuff it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

"People person? Pshaw. Keep in mind that the last time I got together with a bunch of friends, they all ended up poisoned at the dinner table."

HA! Well then fix me a sammich, Ratbeard, m'dear. I ain't a'scared of you.

Community Leader
If you want to raise your companions all the way to your level (cap), you'll have to pay for it. The "tight financial bind" is entirely under your control.

While you are out farming for gold to fund your profligate training point habits, you may even discover that it's no particular hardship to get a low-level companion curve-ball every now and then.

People person? Pshaw. Keep in mind that the last time I got together with a bunch of friends, they all ended up poisoned at the dinner table.
Arr matey.... We're entirely under control? Then change the loot tables back. I have spoken! ;)

Realize that if we got to level 50 in the first place we are already well aware of, and capable of dealing with these lower level companions. While your maxed out and have finished the game content, you may contemplate cancelling a sub, or finding something else to focus on, such as goals towards companion training. Whether they are goals we set ourselves or not, the task at hand shouldnt be near impossible, or so discouraging as to turn us back towards the option of cancelling our subs.

Eh Ratty I think yer just a grumpy, onry, ole rodent with a taste for Yum. I can relate.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
May 05, 2011
How about a 3 level cap?

The most I've been able to level a companion is 3 levels with 1 training point. I purposefully ignored the training of some of my less useful companions until I was Level 50. I can train a Level 40 companion with 1pt to Level 43 only.

... although I must admit I don't have any companions less than Level 40, so maybe if they were Level 35 they'd jump 4 levels?

Administrator
James Mythcrafter on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
How about a 3 level cap?

The most I've been able to level a companion is 3 levels with 1 training point. I purposefully ignored the training of some of my less useful companions until I was Level 50. I can train a Level 40 companion with 1pt to Level 43 only.

... although I must admit I don't have any companions less than Level 40, so maybe if they were Level 35 they'd jump 4 levels?
The general rule is this: "The further apart you are from your Companion in levels, the more levels they gain when you spend a training point on them. For instance, if you are level 50 and your Companion is level 1, a single training point could net them around 14 levels. The closer the Companion is to your level, the less they gain from each training point."

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
The general rule is this: "The further apart you are from your Companion in levels, the more levels they gain when you spend a training point on them. For instance, if you are level 50 and your Companion is level 1, a single training point could net them around 14 levels. The closer the Companion is to your level, the less they gain from each training point."
Okay, now that would be an interesting experiment. Can you get to level 50 without ever training up your original companion? Could you resist the temptation to spend even a single point?

Hmm...

Community Leader
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
Okay, now that would be an interesting experiment. Can you get to level 50 without ever training up your original companion? Could you resist the temptation to spend even a single point?

Hmm...
Seasnake, get on this immediately!!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Captain
Feb 27, 2009

and they said that you killed them.

Administrator
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:

Hmm...
I think we just found a new challenge mode for the game! Always put your highest level companions at the end of your crew list and never level any companions!

How far can you get in the game, now?

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:
I think we just found a new challenge mode for the game! Always put your highest level companions at the end of your crew list and never level any companions!

How far can you get in the game, now?
Crazy rabbit! I just said your first companion, not all of them!

Ensign
Mar 17, 2011
As stated in my original request, and I may have stated this in another request:

1. The points do cost more, yes, indeed - but points purchased at a higher level (that cost more) level the lower player the SAME increment as points purchased at a lower level (which cost less). So it stands to reason that a player should buy the max (10) training points as EARLY as possible, and keep them as long as possible. Let the companions languish until the player is 10 levels above, then use the training points purchased 10 levels ago (for maximum benefit).

But this raises the other problems: a) without training the companions, the players cannot make it through the main battles b) companions "end-up" on the team anyhow, and there is NO manner of "turning them off" or sending them on temproary vacation, so if they show up in battle, the player is doomed.

2) the prospect of mining for gold is great, IF there are battles that yield lots of gold (especially for a player level 52), and what I mean is: I've finished the story line, and all the side quests. The only battle that I can remember yielding a lot of gold is Deacon at the end of Cool Ranch. But even then, the gold is only about $4,000 - so you have to fight decon maybe 10/12 times just to get enough gold to train a few companions.

3) By the way, I've spent the crowns on the first player to buy the training points, amounting to a LOT of money - just to see what it takes to get the companions trained. As a full fledged paying customer KI has earned a lot from me over the past two years, and I my experience is becoming a negative one. As much as I enjoy Pirate and Wizard, I struggle to understand why something like companion training points cost so much.

Thank-you kindly,
Evan Ironside
Level 51 Musketeer