Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Too many companions

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Eccentric Esme on Feb 2, 2013 wrote:
The bottom paragraph says it all as to the devs motivation behind keeping the companion system as it is:

It's the almighty buck. So long as our least trained most annoying and hated companions have a chance to show up at the most inopportune times, many people will at least feel compelled to spend the gold to train them so they can be somewhat competent in battle. And to get that gold which doesn't drop in nearly large enough amounts to train these less than stellar companions, people will buy crowns and cash them in game.

The bottom line is the bottom line = $$$
Well, ol' Ratbeard was simply making a joke. Please forgive him for that, and I'll simply point out that Better Companion Management is on the Commonly Requested Additions to the game. We are listening!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Developer
One-Eyed Jack on Feb 3, 2013 wrote:
Well, ol' Ratbeard was simply making a joke. Please forgive him for that, and I'll simply point out that Better Companion Management is on the Commonly Requested Additions to the game. We are listening!
Indeed we are-- and I believe some fixes along these lines are already making their way through QA testing.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Feb 2, 2013 wrote:
An exaggeration to try to support your point? Facts are by far more supportive.
Sorry, this is not pokemon (if it were I wouldnt have any interest in it whatsoever). The reason I started playing Pirate101 was because I loved the genre/style of KingsIsle games having played Wizard101, and I love the twists and change on game play they have made with their newest product Pirate101. If it were to emulate or mimic any gaming system at all, I would think it would mimic Wizard101, not a game like Pokemon.

What I think some folks here are failing to understand is that the changes being proposed would break the system as designed, the hurdles most are complaining about, are part of the games design, not a flaw. It presents further challenges to the game. These proposals removes this process, removes the challenge, Controlling what characters are in each battle simplifies the game, equates to making every battle an "epic battle", which is supposed to be something to look forward to. What these proposals actually do is remove challenges from the game. Challenges that are part of the game by design. From my perspective they eliminate some of the challenges that make the game fun.

As for the person making my statements about my project being disingenuous. They should not make statements without any basis of fact, at least not those that accuse others of wrong doing. By making such an accusation in itself doesnt seem disingenuous, it definately is.

http://pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?19668-Zeps-Companion-Training-Tome-experiment

As for my small group of beta testers, and it is about equal to the number of people I see complaining about the companion system as it is. Not to mention the numbers that are working with the system in other social forums. All I see is a handful of people complaining because they either havent figured out a viable strategy or just arent willing to work on one. People wanting Pirate101 to be something more like other mmo offerings instead of a KI style game.
You continue to miss the point.

I'm quoting from P101's own web site!

A Pirate's Life!Discover adventure and mystery within Skull Island as you journey with your trusty crew. Are you ready to find El Dorado? Yarr!!

Right there, it say "your trusty crew."

What captain do you know that doesn't get to choose his own crew? Who is assigned where, who does what, when, why and how? Who he decides to give shore leave to, who he decides needs to walk the plank? We aren't Captains in the true sense of the word in this game until we have full control over our crew.

I'm really happy you and your friends got to go into beta and work out your system, but that still doesn't answer the fundamental question: why is it this way and only this way? Especially when the people who are paying the bills (i.e. subscribers and members otherwise known as customers) are asking that it NOT be abolished, but simply modified?

And I never said I wanted a game exactly like Pokemon, I was using that as an example of how another popular game manages a team or crew. It was an example.

As for "breaking" the system, I and others, have suggested a number of compromises that wouldn't break the system. You are using hyperbole in your statement right there. How in the world would the system be "broken" because we are able to actually manage our companions better? Hyperbole much?

From my perspective, they would not be "game breakers" but rather game enhancers. I would be free to manage my crew as I see fit, not as KI tells me. I'd collect various companions and bring whatever "Away team" I thought was appropriate for that particular mission. I could plan ahead of time, strategize who I might need and who should stay behind. Like any good Captain would do. Hardly a "game breaker" as you suggest.

For the record, I would never, ever want P101 to become W101. I got bored playing W101 months before I even knew about P101 and had stopped playing which is why I was probably not included in Beta like you and your vast network of friends.

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
Ratbeard on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:
Helpful advice from Ratbeard:

1% means 1 in 100.

The odds of winning the Powerball are 1 in 175,000,000.

Which, although "less than 1%," it is not statistically comparable to the "less than 1%" that you see with 16 or more companions.

You are more than a million times more likely to see your most hated companion than you are to win the Powerball.

On the other hand if you do win the Powerball, ring me up and I am sure we can work out an arrangement for whatever you want me to do with your companions.
That's very helpful advice from ya, Ratbeard.

Community Leader
Know that I am also one of those people paying the bills. KI gets $300-$500 a year from me, I am definately a paying customer. All my friends are. Beta testers got a preview, some fun, frustration, and an eye patch for our pirates, not free accounts or subscriptions.

Can we truthfully say that the few people that have complained about companion mgmt reflects KI's entire customer base? No, we cant. I am sure there others in agreement with you, as I know are others in agreement with me, that remain silent.

Two of the most common suggestions to address issue:
Let us set aside or get rid of companions we dont want
Let us pick what companions are in every battle
These suggestions would definately break the current system as designed.

If they let us to set companions aside or pick them each battle, we dont have to consider or train all of them, I would pick 4 companions, forget the rest. I would no longer have to strategically consider quest selection either.

KI took steps to encourage us to use ALL companions. Thats why we get new companions 1-3 levels higher than our pirate, encouraging us to use and get familiar with them. KI designed "Epic Battles" allowing selection of companions as a special feature, not for every battle.

Its this way intentionally. Managing numbers of companions, training, and how their used are intended challenges. A captain should manage/train their entire crew. Setting some aside simplifies the game too much. Letting us select the companions in each battle simplifies it too much also.

I can appreciate someone wanting the game to work like: Evaluate job, pick the crew for the job.
But its not designed that way, we cant preview a battle to make any strategic decisions/selections to begin with. Just seeing what you think your about to battle is not enough. How often do we engage one mob, but get 2-3 other style mobs joining in? More often than not!

KI says their listening, we'll have to see what they've "heard". ;)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Feb 4, 2013 wrote:
Know that I am also one of those people paying the bills. KI gets $300-$500 a year from me, I am definately a paying customer. All my friends are. Beta testers got a preview, some fun, frustration, and an eye patch for our pirates, not free accounts or subscriptions.

Can we truthfully say that the few people that have complained about companion mgmt reflects KI's entire customer base? No, we cant. I am sure there others in agreement with you, as I know are others in agreement with me, that remain silent.

If they let us to set companions aside or pick them each battle, we dont have to consider or train all of them, I would pick 4 companions, forget the rest. I would no longer have to strategically consider quest selection either.

KI took steps to encourage us to use ALL companions. Thats why we get new companions 1-3 levels higher than our pirate, encouraging us to use and get familiar with them. KI designed "Epic Battles" allowing selection of companions as a special feature, not for every battle.

Its this way intentionally. Managing numbers of companions, training, and how their used are intended challenges. A captain should manage/train their entire crew. Setting some aside simplifies the game too much. Letting us select the companions in each battle simplifies it too much also.

I can appreciate someone wanting the game to work like: Evaluate job, pick the crew for the job.
But its not designed that way, we cant preview a battle to make any strategic decisions/selections to begin with. Just seeing what you think your about to battle is not enough. How often do we engage one mob, but get 2-3 other style mobs joining in? More often than not!

I for one like the randomization that the game gives me every battle. Whenever it comes to those "Epic Battles", I always pick the same ones(Bonnie Anne, Ratbeard, pretty much any that you get during the 'Jade Amulet' and 'Captain Gunn' arcs) because I know their moves by heart.

Once I had gotten into Monquista, Cool Ranch, and Mooshu I especially enjoyed whenever one of the newer ones showed up it made me have to think like a captain and come up with a winning strategy depending on the companions and how many showed up.

Ensign
Sep 25, 2012
I agree too many companions, If they would let us say nay to that crew member from automaticlly joining would help cause there are some crew members i didnt want.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2012
Dr Zeppers on Feb 4, 2013 wrote:

Quest Selection? Shouldn't the game encourage the players to try everything? Isn't there something wrong when the game essentially says "Hey, don't do that quest because it will reward you with a companion you would regret getting because he/she is weak"

Yes, we do get familiar with them but then we realize that they start off strong and then gets eventually left behind in terms of stats and epics and is now a black hole for training tomes. Yes you could get them when you reach level 50 but then you would now have to train them once the level cap inevitably increases.

Managing numbers of companions? Again, shouldn't the game encourage getting companions especially since it is part of the game's appeal? And that they will make more profit on Crown Companions? I saw the experiment thread that you posted and I don't know how you don't see anything wrong when the thread starter himself described auxiliary companions as "mouths to feed". I'm pretty sure that KI didn't intend them to be perceived that way and that they would rather see us trying out every single sidequest that they have laboriously created. Unless I'm mistaken and they were designed that way.

I'll just reiterate my earlier point that in that I dislike how the game is punishing people for having a large crew and I don't think that KI intended for that to happen. Again, unless I'm wrong and you are right in that they would rather have us limit the number of companions in our crew.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Well soon enough your probably gonna have to not use some companions which I mean put them on the bottom of the list if they're not that useful to you.

Ensign
Jul 23, 2010
I completely disagree with this because, the whole point of the not getting to chose is not getting to choose any but your first mate(disregarding epic battles) this adds a new layer of mystery to the game and IMO is one of my favorite parts, do I like it when my level 30 Nanu Nanu shows up on my 50 Privateer, no, but I deal with it.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
I think people have missed the point about the current way it works. It does more harm than good and detracts from the combat system in a big way. You can't use tactics or strategy because you have two random acts that occur. The hotbar is random and a mess and the companion system is as well. All those epics and choices go out the window and make the starter companions up to ratbeard the hands down best for every situation jack of all trades. There's no reason to level a companion that has flanking or crossfire or others because you can't use them. It also doesn't help that most of them are all underpowered in comparison. The hotbar isn't as big of a problem as the companion system but you will lose turns and are punished for how the system behaves which is an anti fun design. The biggest draw of the game is the turn based combat system and flying ships which is seemingly tacked on to it. I just hope they let you choose companions in PvP otherwise that's a complete waste of time. It would be lacking any sort of experience or skill.

You get what you get and you better have it leveled up some and hope for the best. Sounds great.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2011
I agree. Having to keep up with companion level is a challenge. My companions level was about an average of 6 or 7 levels lower than my guy was by the time i got monkey king. I learned the hard way not to get side quest companions, as i was stuck with having to keep training them. I would like to have the ability to kick or temporarily disable at least side quest companions or the ones that don't talk. But if that's too much,i would like to at least lower the high and expensive cost of training tomes. Its a bit annoying to have companions that hardly do damage show up.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
If I may put my 2 cents in. I have found no problem with the number of companions I have. Even on my privateer I have been able to keep my companions around 3-6 levels below my character. And that is fine because the enemies I am fighting are usually around that level as well.
Two things to note though: I didn't buy any crowns companions and I have played in a constant group of 3 (which means more money earned).

I am against any idea that removes companions from my list, as I feel that will cause people to only play with the same 4 or 5 companions.
However, I do agree that training companions should be looked at. Lowering the cost of training tomes would be nice. Also I think giving companions experience after a battle might be a nice addition. Have it based on the experience your character gets (I know it isn't much) then have it modified like training tomes do, so lower level companions earn more. It wouldn't be an overpowered way to train but it would make you feel ok if a low level companion did join because they they would at least get something out of the battle.

Community Leader
Baconnaise on Feb 6, 2013 wrote:
I think people have missed the point about the current way it works. It does more harm than good and detracts from the combat system in a big way. You can't use tactics or strategy because you have two random acts that occur. The hotbar is random and a mess and the companion system is as well. All those epics and choices go out the window and make the starter companions up to ratbeard the hands down best for every situation jack of all trades. There's no reason to level a companion that has flanking or crossfire or others because you can't use them. It also doesn't help that most of them are all underpowered in comparison. The hotbar isn't as big of a problem as the companion system but you will lose turns and are punished for how the system behaves which is an anti fun design. The biggest draw of the game is the turn based combat system and flying ships which is seemingly tacked on to it. I just hope they let you choose companions in PvP otherwise that's a complete waste of time. It would be lacking any sort of experience or skill.

You get what you get and you better have it leveled up some and hope for the best. Sounds great.
What I gather from this is that players are taking different approachs to the game. Considering their approach the only true correct approach, and throwing out the others perspectives as being invalid or unimportant. Seems to me people are primarily unsatisfied with how the game works with the way they CHOOSE to play it, and want the game changed to suit the way they choose to play it instead of changing their approach/strategy.

Cant use tactics or strategy? What? You absolutely CAN use tactics and strategy, which will dynamically (and quite ingeniously) change with each battle because of the varied companions and their abilities that join any given battle.

No reason to level companions? The reasons most complain about "too many companions" in itself explains WHY one levels their companions. There is plenty of reason to train/level companions so when they do join your battle you have more abilities to use and strategize your battle with. I use flanking all the time in my battle strategy.

The issue you point out about starter companions the best is exactly the reason it is the way it is now, so players are encouraged to use all their companions. The idea isnt to develop the best, only use the best. The idea is to use them all, and train them as best you can, because you may at any time, use any of them.

Whats a hotbar? Are you referring to where we select our moves? Not seeing any problems at all with this, it works fine for me. I never lose turns (except the very first one occasionally fails to load battle board, but thats a bug, not a feature), and have never felt punished by the system once they fixed these buttons (they actually didnt work right for all attacks in beta).

Calling something "antifun design" is 100% an opinion. I know I have lots of friends having loads of fun in pirate101. Gotta love how the companion system changes things up, battle after battle. Obviously experiences will vary.

PVP allows you to select your companions for battle.

We get the challenge the game throws at us, and we strategize to overcome the challenge. It absolutely DOES sound great.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2009
chamender3 on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
I completely disagree with this because, the whole point of the not getting to chose is not getting to choose any but your first mate(disregarding epic battles) this adds a new layer of mystery to the game and IMO is one of my favorite parts, do I like it when my level 30 Nanu Nanu shows up on my 50 Privateer, no, but I deal with it.
Let's take this a bit further. Already at lvl 50, some pirates have more than a page of companions. Imagine going forward to lvl caps 60,70,80, 90 and beyond with inevitable new companions added each expansion and with these new companions and the price of tomes going up exponentially each lvl, how in the world are we supposed to keep "these mouths" fed and viable in battle?

I foresee tomes costing somewhere near gold cap EACH in the future if they continue to increase in price at the present rate. This is in no way fair to the players to shoulder the burden of all these companions many of which were thrust upon us unsolicited. Where does the concept of recruiting come into play? Players don't "recruit" any companions except those they may have bought from the crown store.* The "layer of mystery" stated above is not practical from a cost standpoint going forward. Therefore we need to be able to:

1. Shelve or get rid of some companions.

2. Significantly reduce the price of tomes.

3. Make the number of tomes we pick up from quests A LOT more.

* I am not shelling out crowns for companions at the crown store for the reasons described above.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Eccentric Esme on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
Let's take this a bit further. Already at lvl 50, some pirates have more than a page of companions. Imagine going forward to lvl caps 60,70,80, 90 and beyond with inevitable new companions added each expansion and with these new companions and the price of tomes going up exponentially each lvl, how in the world are we supposed to keep "these mouths" fed and viable in battle?

I foresee tomes costing somewhere near gold cap EACH in the future if they continue to increase in price at the present rate. This is in no way fair to the players to shoulder the burden of all these companions many of which were thrust upon us unsolicited. Where does the concept of recruiting come into play? Players don't "recruit" any companions except those they may have bought from the crown store.* The "layer of mystery" stated above is not practical from a cost standpoint going forward. Therefore we need to be able to:

1. Shelve or get rid of some companions.

2. Significantly reduce the price of tomes.

3. Make the number of tomes we pick up from quests A LOT more.

* I am not shelling out crowns for companions at the crown store for the reasons described above.
Having different level Companions that have different Epic Talents and Abilities is what makes this game and each and every battle unique. Unless you are in an Epic Battle that you get to choose the companions that join you in battle, you never know who you are going to get. This keeps the game fun and interesting with a bit of a challenge.

1. If you were allowed to Shelve or get rid of companions, that would remove some of the fun and challenge of the game. Although, if you allow those companions to be defeated that you dont want and dont revive them, in essence, that is what you are doing, so this feature is already active.

2. Obvioiusly, you were not in Beta Testing! You should be very happy 1 companion training tome is only 5100 at level 50, rather than over 30k like it was. Besides, it's not that hard to farm for gold and earn your way through the game, rather than have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

3. There are plenty of side quests that offer companion training tomes. It is companion management that is Key here. Many want to train them all the time and keep them the same level as your pirate, which is why some people whine about this. People do not wait and save up training tomes so that 1 training tome will level up a companion 3 or 4 levels each. So, who is to blame?

I have bought 2 companions for all 6 of my pirates, I have 5 pirates at level 50 & 1 just got to level 47. Most of my companions are level 50 on my level 50 pirates, so it is not that hard and can be done. Not only that, but I have also saved up those quests from the teachers for the 3 companion training tomes and have not turned those in yet.

Management and leadership is key, the battles are not that hard if you have a strategy.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Darth JT on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
Having different level Companions that have different Epic Talents and Abilities is what makes this game and each and every battle unique. Unless you are in an Epic Battle that you get to choose the companions that join you in battle, you never know who you are going to get. This keeps the game fun and interesting with a bit of a challenge.

1. If you were allowed to Shelve or get rid of companions, that would remove some of the fun and challenge of the game. Although, if you allow those companions to be defeated that you dont want and dont revive them, in essence, that is what you are doing, so this feature is already active.

2. Obvioiusly, you were not in Beta Testing! You should be very happy 1 companion training tome is only 5100 at level 50, rather than over 30k like it was. Besides, it's not that hard to farm for gold and earn your way through the game, rather than have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

3. There are plenty of side quests that offer companion training tomes. It is companion management that is Key here. Many want to train them all the time and keep them the same level as your pirate, which is why some people whine about this. People do not wait and save up training tomes so that 1 training tome will level up a companion 3 or 4 levels each. So, who is to blame?

I have bought 2 companions for all 6 of my pirates, I have 5 pirates at level 50 & 1 just got to level 47. Most of my companions are level 50 on my level 50 pirates, so it is not that hard and can be done. Not only that, but I have also saved up those quests from the teachers for the 3 companion training tomes and have not turned those in yet.

Management and leadership is key, the battles are not that hard if you have a strategy.
1. No, it wouldn't "remove some of the fun and challenge of the game."

Maybe for you it would, but I fail to see how instituting true companion management would remove the fun from the game. It is not "fun" to not be able to manage my crew, being able to manage my crew as I see fit would be "fun" for me.

2. No one is asking for anything to be "handed to [them] on a silver platter." I am saying the system they have in place needs to be adjusted and should have nothing to do with how easy you think gold farming is. One should not have to "farm" for gold to pay for normal parts of a game. Sure, special things, but training tomes should not be "special" in a game that requires you have a crew properly leveled at all times. That's a necessity, not a luxury.

3. Yes, there are plenty of quests that give you 1 training tome, a couple gave 2 and I think I had one that gave three. But that's the point, they are few and far between. Again, having a properly leveled crew is paramount to the successful enjoyment of the game, why accept the many barriers or half thought out solutions that were in place at launch?

For the record, I am level 50, I have already completed the game. Every one of my companions is level 49 but I have two pages of companions. Out of those 2 pages, there are only 8 I care about as characters or crew in the game. The rest were forced upon me. I don't like things forced upon me. I've had to spend precious, in game resources on Companions I don't even want and would not miss if they were not a part of the game.

I find that "un-fun."

Administrator
As a reminder to those on this thread, please limit your responses to debate about the topic at hand and restrain yourselves from making personal attacks.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
aaronlightwalker on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
1. No, it wouldn't "remove some of the fun and challenge of the game."

Maybe for you it would, but I fail to see how instituting true companion management would remove the fun from the game. It is not "fun" to not be able to manage my crew, being able to manage my crew as I see fit would be "fun" for me.

2. No one is asking for anything to be "handed to [them] on a silver platter." I am saying the system they have in place needs to be adjusted and should have nothing to do with how easy you think gold farming is. One should not have to "farm" for gold to pay for normal parts of a game. Sure, special things, but training tomes should not be "special" in a game that requires you have a crew properly leveled at all times. That's a necessity, not a luxury.

3. Yes, there are plenty of quests that give you 1 training tome, a couple gave 2 and I think I had one that gave three. But that's the point, they are few and far between. Again, having a properly leveled crew is paramount to the successful enjoyment of the game, why accept the many barriers or half thought out solutions that were in place at launch?

For the record, I am level 50, I have already completed the game. Every one of my companions is level 49 but I have two pages of companions. Out of those 2 pages, there are only 8 I care about as characters or crew in the game. The rest were forced upon me. I don't like things forced upon me. I've had to spend precious, in game resources on Companions I don't even want and would not miss if they were not a part of the game.

I find that "un-fun."
Seems what players consider "Companion Management" and how the game should work is varying.

The companion system is designed to manage the number of, and training of our companions, and to have randomly selected companions creating a game dynamic when it comes to most battles.

It seems some players do not like the approach of managing the numbers, training, and possibility of being included in battle, but want something simpler. "I want to limit what I manage, and pick who I want in battle"

What I dont think is understood is that the process of managing the number of companions, their training, and the likelihood of them being in battle IS companion management as its currently designed. It appears those frustrated by these game dynamics want the game simplified.

Allowing a pirate to select, and focus on specific companions, eliminates many facets of companion management, simplifies the game, and takes away from its ingenious method of giving us dynamic battles (never quite the same, as participating companions vary).

The problem as I see it is some players are focused on how they want to play, not how the game is designed. There are differences in opinion here as to what is "fun". We discussed companion management, training, cost of tomes, etc to some extent in Beta. Developers said what we were trying to do was a "choice" we were making, not the only option. Training tomes were indeed considered somewhat a luxury that were not (are not) required. We were encouraged not to use all our gold on purchasing of tomes, but to further strategize in our use of what tomes we received, etc.

If players that want only certain companions to be used would strategize some, they would realize they have that option. Let the companions they do not like be defeated and do not revive them. If it were changed the way they are asking, it would eliminate the option of playing the game as its currently designed which IS fun to many of us.

Isnt it better to keep options of play in the game, and let the players exercise the strategy they prefer instead of having a select few force their preferred approach/strategies on everyone else?

"a properly leveled crew", what is "properly leveled"? Isnt that determined by individual players strategy?
I consider my crew properly leveled when they are all 8 levels or less below my pirate, waiting for the 9th lvl to train them again (and get 3 levels per tome). When I do this I dont have to buy a single training tome, and my pirate overflows with gold to buy ships and equipment with. I dont do a lot of farming for gold at all. Choices... Train up companions for easier battles, spend the gold, farm for gold. Train up companions more efficiently, battles may be harder, but no need to farm for gold.

Choices, you have choices.
Lets not limit choices, because of limited strategical vision or effort.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
Seems what players consider "Companion Management" and how the game should work is varying.

The companion system is designed to manage the number of, and training of our companions, and to have randomly selected companions creating a game dynamic when it comes to most battles.

It seems some players do not like the approach of managing the numbers, training, and possibility of being included in battle, but want something simpler. "I want to limit what I manage, and pick who I want in battle"

What I dont think is understood is that the process of managing the number of companions, their training, and the likelihood of them being in battle IS companion management as its currently designed. It appears those frustrated by these game dynamics want the game simplified.

Allowing a pirate to select, and focus on specific companions, eliminates many facets of companion management, simplifies the game, and takes away from its ingenious method of giving us dynamic battles (never quite the same, as participating companions vary).

The problem as I see it is some players are focused on how they want to play, not how the game is designed. There are differences in opinion here as to what is "fun". We discussed companion management, training, cost of tomes, etc to some extent in Beta. Developers said what we were trying to do was a "choice" we were making, not the only option. Training tomes were indeed considered somewhat a luxury that were not (are not) required. We were encouraged not to use all our gold on purchasing of tomes, but to further strategize in our use of what tomes we received, etc.

If players that want only certain companions to be used would strategize some, they would realize they have that option. Let the companions they do not like be defeated and do not revive them. If it were changed the way they are asking, it would eliminate the option of playing the game as its currently designed which IS fun to many of us.

Isnt it better to keep options of play in the game, and let the players exercise the strategy they prefer instead of having a select few force their preferred approach/strategies on everyone else?

"a properly leveled crew", what is "properly leveled"? Isnt that determined by individual players strategy?
I consider my crew properly leveled when they are all 8 levels or less below my pirate, waiting for the 9th lvl to train them again (and get 3 levels per tome). When I do this I dont have to buy a single training tome, and my pirate overflows with gold to buy ships and equipment with. I dont do a lot of farming for gold at all. Choices... Train up companions for easier battles, spend the gold, farm for gold. Train up companions more efficiently, battles may be harder, but no need to farm for gold.

Choices, you have choices.
Lets not limit choices, because of limited strategical vision or effort.
Why are the few people who were fortunate enough to make it into beta still trying to change this discussion into something it's not?

I don't want a "simpler" game, I simply want to be able to manage my crew the way I see fit. Any real life captain gets to (mostly) manage their crew in the way they see fit.

Why is that so hard to understand? That is a feature I would expect in a game that mandates you have companions.

I, and others, have already presented a viable compromise so that you all get to have the so-called "randomness" you like of many (many) companions while those of us who don't want to end up with page upon page of (to us) useless and/or unwanted companions can both enjoy the game.

Why is this issue becoming such and "all or nothing"? Why can't there be room for compromise?

Let those of us who don't want page after page of companions be able to unequip and decline some while allowing us to have to have a certain minimum (I vote 6 or 8). You can keep your page upon page of companions while people like me can travel with our minimum number (again 6 or 8 with the rest back at our house or in a bottle or below deck or etc.) and not worry about the rest.

Why is that so difficult a concept to accept as a good compromise for all concerned?

Ensign
Apr 21, 2009
Personally, I like having a ton of companions. I like the randomness of it all knowing that every battle has the oportunity to require me to think and change tactics on the fly. My thought is that if people get too much control, all the battles will end up being the same causing the game to become more of a mindless grind.

Not all companions are created equal and they should not be. I like the feeling of achievement knowing that I can beat a tough battle no matter who pops up un the screen.

Just my 2 cents.

Quiet Robert, lvl 50

Community Leader
aaronlightwalker on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:
Why are the few people who were fortunate enough to make it into beta still trying to change this discussion into something it's not?

I don't want a "simpler" game, I simply want to be able to manage my crew the way I see fit. Any real life captain gets to (mostly) manage their crew in the way they see fit.

Why is that so hard to understand? That is a feature I would expect in a game that mandates you have companions.

I, and others, have already presented a viable compromise so that you all get to have the so-called "randomness" you like of many (many) companions while those of us who don't want to end up with page upon page of (to us) useless and/or unwanted companions can both enjoy the game.

Why is this issue becoming such and "all or nothing"? Why can't there be room for compromise?

Let those of us who don't want page after page of companions be able to unequip and decline some while allowing us to have to have a certain minimum (I vote 6 or 8). You can keep your page upon page of companions while people like me can travel with our minimum number (again 6 or 8 with the rest back at our house or in a bottle or below deck or etc.) and not worry about the rest.

Why is that so difficult a concept to accept as a good compromise for all concerned?
I mention Beta because it is absolutely relevant to this conversation. Weve been through some of this debate already with developers.I am sorry that they cleared the boards of beta conversations, but the reason it is relevant is that some of what your asking to be changed was already suggested by beta testers. The responses we received from the developers let us know that the challenges we were having were there by design. We were told purchasing training tomes was a luxury. We were told that we should strategize management of companions to best suit our play style. Understanding this was the games design we adjusted our strategies accordingly, and found were not that big an issue in the first place with strategic play.

Strategies many we have shared with players now that the game went live.

Compromise? I see no compromise taking place here on either side of the debate.
Changing it to limit the number of companions is the request, no compromise for those of us that see this as a game breaker. I cant understand why many cant see how such a change breaks the game.
It eliminates one of the only true challenges in the game, companion management.

This is KI's game, its Pirate101. Its not pokemon, or any other game. I applaud KI for trying to come up with new concepts, and NOT just following suit with other MMOs (theres a reason I dont play "other" mmos). Comparison to other MMOs IMO is a losing proposition, I want a game that is unique, with KI style, I have no interest in "others" or how they work, thats why im not playing them. Sorry that KI did not confer with you, not surprised the game is not what you expect.

Here I sit wondering what i'll do if they were to make this change. Companion management was the only challenge I found worth strategizing game play for. The suggested limitations makes companion management way too easy.

I can definately see this as an overall issue as the game moves forward, as they add new content, companions etc. I would hope they already had plans as to how to approach this, we shall see. If they were to allow us to "limit" our companions, I would see it as fair to set this limit the same for all pirate classes, so one does not have to deal with more than another. If it must go this route, to keep the game interesting I would set this limit at something like 16 companions, so there is still some challenge left (6-8 would be no challenge whatsoever).

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Quiet Robert on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:
Personally, I like having a ton of companions. I like the randomness of it all knowing that every battle has the oportunity to require me to think and change tactics on the fly. My thought is that if people get too much control, all the battles will end up being the same causing the game to become more of a mindless grind.

Not all companions are created equal and they should not be. I like the feeling of achievement knowing that I can beat a tough battle no matter who pops up un the screen.

Just my 2 cents.

Quiet Robert, lvl 50
Once again, why is it an all or nothing proposition?

Why can't a compromise be that you get to have your ton of companions while the rest of us have a reasonable minimum?

Here's a suggestion: KI could say in the next upgrade or new area release:

"We've improved the Companion management so all Pirates can continue to have as many companions as they like while allowing you to bottle the ones you don't want to take with you on every mission. However, all Pirates must have a minimum of 6 or 8 (or whatever) (in addition to your First Mate) equipped at all times."

That way, you can have as many as you want, while I get to use my favorite companions. We would both be happy.

The game is still fun for me with that scenario. I used the same 4 Companions all the way through end game and had a ball. I love when certain companions join me in battle, it feels like a real crew to me. I know I can count on X companions through thick and thin. Every captain should be able to know they can rely on their crew and not leave it to chance.

No one is saying abolish the system, just tweak it so both groups can be happy.

Ensign
Apr 24, 2012
I don't mind it being the way it is right now. Makes for more challenging and thought provoking battles. I am currently lel 50. I have 26 companions. 17 I have to level 50. My lowest is a 44. What I have done is farm bosses at higher leveled areas like MooSho. When you do that you get tons of gold (sometimes really cool rear items too). When I get close to the 100,000 coin limit I go buy my limit of training tomes (10) and then train my guys. You can get some much coins this dosen't take long to do again and again. I figure why not till they increase the game.

Community Leader
Although I have yet had opportunity to try it out, from what I have read on update notes, it seems that KI came up with a pretty good compromise to address the situation that should continue to help/work as they improve the game and add new content.

Now it appears (if whats proposed on test goes live) we will be earning an occasional "benchmarker" as we level allowing us to bench a companion we prefer not be involved.

This would appear to offer those wanting to limit their crew an option to do so while as not taking it so far as to break the companion management system.

It will be interesting to see how the level/benchmarkers earned break down is implemented.