Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Some PvP tips: Swahbuckler

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
I have been testing my Swashbuckler in the Test Realm; preparing him for the addition of PvP. Here are some of my tactics.

1)Around the World in 80 Days? Try one round-(Train Mighty Charge)The bucaneers first power Mighty Charge does 1x damage and a minor debuff. Many may be wondering "My swashbuckler already does great damage, why bother? The main reason is not the attack itself but the movement bonus. Mighty charge is 2x or double your movement. With a swashbuckler's already increased movement this attack on its own is enough to cover almost the entire battleboard in one turn! Great for quickly/unexpectedly approaching enemies and in PvE I can use it to quickly retreat(by targeting an enviromental obstacle). Perhaps in the future PvP arenas will have obstacles too, allowing for a great hit and run tactic. As an added bonus it is only one practice point and can be trained right away.

2) Know your Poison (Characteristics of Assasins Mist/Gloom)- Assasins Mist/Gloom are interesting spells. They do DoT damage to all enemies within an area. There are several things to know about poison. The different type of poisons DO NOT stack so do not waste both of them attempting to quickly build damage on your opponent. Even more interestingly these spells do the same amount of damage to all enemies. This could mean several things: The two I have determined as most likely are 1)It does a predetermined amount of damage based on your health/damage or some other factor(currently unknown) OR it ignores resist/armor. Either way this is a great spell to inflict some guaranteed damage to your opponent(s) regardless of their defensive statistics. Poison also affects your enemies before they make a move so it can be used as a preemptive kill if you have lowered your enemie's health enough. Even more importantly Poison can be used while hidden without ending the benefits of Walk in Shadows and Darkness. So an AoE, preemptive DoT, set damage attack that does not end hidden?! YES YES YES! A great tool for swashbucklers.

To be continued....

Ensign
Dec 06, 2009
I would agree with the OP on the use of poison while in stealth - I use it often.

However, I can't advocate using a precious practice point on mighty charge. Swashcbucklers can already cover the entire battleboard in a single turn (very few exceptions to this), so it would seem a little redundant.

IMHO your points are better used in the privateer tree - you get extra health, ranged armor, healing, an AoE, and most importantly: "elusive" grants extra dodge when your health is below 50%. For a class that relies on dodge, this is a huge advantage.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I do the same thing. Stealth poison. I love it. You think that poison will do x2 damage while hidden? Hehehe.

I also trained in mighty strike. I love the extra movement. Even at 50, I feel like my movement is limited. I trained in Privateer up to Rouse. I did not feel it necessary to learn Refresh, for I did not think a tiny AoE heal was worth spending half a dozen more points for. However, I trained enough points to cover the initial +10 health bonus, Slashy rank 1 and 2 (for any stabby/Slashy weapons), and Elusive. I then trained all the remaining points except for 1 into Witchdoctor, for both the spooky rank 1 and rank 2. I also trained in Ghostwail for a across-the-board attack. Lets not forget the extra resistance. The last one went into the mighty strike. I had thought long and hard on what to spend that last point. And Mighty Strike got it. After all, it is a power attack that won't ever miss.

Privateer to Elusive.
Witchdoctor to Spooky rank 2.
Buccanneer for Mighty Strike.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
While some players may not agree with buying mighty strike for 1 practice point I fully agree with it. Reason being with dodge the way it is why not have any and all guaranteed hits in your repratoir of abilities. Imagine you are down to single blows and your opponent dodges your attack because you dont have any abilties left and he hits you with a guranteed mighty strike to kill you. Youd think twice about not having that ability in the future.. I have played through the game on my 50 swashbuckler and thats one of the first abilities i bought from the buccaneer school. It has saved me many times having a guranteed strike against an opponent. It also lowers their accuracy so you can dodge more often for 2 turns. So in essence, 1. more dodge, 2. gurantees a hit and 3. you can move more squares on the board. I have also used practice points on witchdoctor abilties ghost wail and any other guaranteed hit in any other school you can think of. Missing in PvP means the difference between winning and losing so keep that in mind when you PvP. When they finally added riposte to swashbuckler i had already made it through the game so i never got to really see the benefits of riposte on my swashbuckler even though i know how important it is. Curious i have not seen one piece of swashbuckler gear with the critical hit abitlity on it: do they even make any? If so, tell me where. I would really like some. One last little detail pertaining to the game mechanics: Why do they wait until the end of the current story to give you your best weapon. There are no good level 45 weapons you can buy so why not give us the opportunity to get that weapon by level 45 or when we reach 45 so we have a chance to use it. When the next chapters come out guess what we have to use the level 45 weapon beings there are no 50 weapons yet. So we have to battle level 50 plus npcs with a level 45 weapon BOOOOOOO! KI make some level 50 weapons or make the current ending weapon a level 50 piece. Thanks

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
I have been testing my Swashbuckler in the Test Realm; preparing him for the addition of PvP. Here are some of my tactics.

1)Around the World in 80 Days? Try one round-(Train Mighty Charge)The bucaneers first power Mighty Charge does 1x damage and a minor debuff. Many may be wondering "My swashbuckler already does great damage, why bother? The main reason is not the attack itself but the movement bonus. Mighty charge is 2x or double your movement. With a swashbuckler's already increased movement this attack on its own is enough to cover almost the entire battleboard in one turn! Great for quickly/unexpectedly approaching enemies and in PvE I can use it to quickly retreat(by targeting an enviromental obstacle). Perhaps in the future PvP arenas will have obstacles too, allowing for a great hit and run tactic. As an added bonus it is only one practice point and can be trained right away.

2) Know your Poison (Characteristics of Assasins Mist/Gloom)- Assasins Mist/Gloom are interesting spells. They do DoT damage to all enemies within an area. There are several things to know about poison. The different type of poisons DO NOT stack so do not waste both of them attempting to quickly build damage on your opponent. Even more interestingly these spells do the same amount of damage to all enemies. This could mean several things: The two I have determined as most likely are 1)It does a predetermined amount of damage based on your health/damage or some other factor(currently unknown) OR it ignores resist/armor. Either way this is a great spell to inflict some guaranteed damage to your opponent(s) regardless of their defensive statistics. Poison also affects your enemies before they make a move so it can be used as a preemptive kill if you have lowered your enemie's health enough. Even more importantly Poison can be used while hidden without ending the benefits of Walk in Shadows and Darkness. So an AoE, preemptive DoT, set damage attack that does not end hidden?! YES YES YES! A great tool for swashbucklers.

To be continued....
I never new about stealth poison

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
I literally forgot about this thread... lol. Anyhow another tip.

The Protector: Effective use of Gallant Defense- Gallant Defense is a great power, it allows 5 turns of intercepting attacks directed at your adjacent companions. Combine this with Leviathans Call/Valors Fortress and you can protect your companions while still only taking minimal damage. Gallant Defense is great for protecting melee companions from Bonnie Anne's scateershot(only you will take damage or be reduced in dodge) Particularly great against melee classes(if your acc/dodge stats are higher than your opponent's companions, if not this tactic can backfire horribly). Best of all you have a degree of control over when you protect your companions by utilizing effective spacing. Notes of Caution: If your opponent uses traps such as rain of mortarshells you will take ALL the damage(the damage from the trap landing on you and the damage the trap would have done on your companions). Gallant Defense also has no effect on the gunnery series of spells.

Ensign
Mar 15, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 13, 2013 wrote:
I literally forgot about this thread... lol. Anyhow another tip.

The Protector: Effective use of Gallant Defense- Gallant Defense is a great power, it allows 5 turns of intercepting attacks directed at your adjacent companions. Combine this with Leviathans Call/Valors Fortress and you can protect your companions while still only taking minimal damage. Gallant Defense is great for protecting melee companions from Bonnie Anne's scateershot(only you will take damage or be reduced in dodge) Particularly great against melee classes(if your acc/dodge stats are higher than your opponent's companions, if not this tactic can backfire horribly). Best of all you have a degree of control over when you protect your companions by utilizing effective spacing. Notes of Caution: If your opponent uses traps such as rain of mortarshells you will take ALL the damage(the damage from the trap landing on you and the damage the trap would have done on your companions). Gallant Defense also has no effect on the gunnery series of spells.
I disagree. Gallant defense is horrible for swashbucklers! They have low health & triton's song,leviathan's call only block damage from phisical attacks. Also, if your pet gets into the battle you could waste your tiny health and die!I personally like stacking up on Grand Shadowdance, walk in darkness, and assasin's strike. I end up with about 1000-1500 damage.Also use the poison spells, then run away.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
With the recent update, Leviathans call blocks melee and shooty damage. Stack 2 of those and you have 75%(according to my observations) damage reduction, leading melee and shooty attacks to deal what my friend refers to as "tickle damage." The thing about gallant defense is that by positioning you can affect which units you will be protecting so your pet wont be a problem. That being said critical hidden assassins strike is a great move and can often one shot or come close to one shotting a player or companion.

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
Walk in darkness + poison gets you away with murder in pvp

Since enemies can't target you in pvp (except witchdocters) you'll be able to poison them and run (or join the fight!)
I use this right before the real battle begins (after we're satisfied with our buffs) and it gives me complete advantage over a battle.
You can also attack and it will still do 2x damage (as long as it didn't run out or if you didn't get hit).

- Noble Mistydove, Fencing Master lvl 50

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
My tip for Swashbucklers in pvp is....start over with a Musketeer or Privateer . I was maxed on my Swashbuckler when pvp started. I was excited when it did until I saw the disadvantages Swashbucklers have. Long story short...a good Musketeer or Privateer will always beat a good Swashbuckler in pvp unless it is 1v1 in the small Volcano Island arena. Most people won't pvp my Swashbuckler in my house ( Volcano Island ) because they have found out ( probably the first time they made the mistake of 1v1 versus a Swashbuckler in a confined area ) that this is the one place where a Swashbuckler can beat just about anyone. If the Swashbuckler gets the first move the fight is over.