Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What would happen if you fell?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
What would happen if you were to fall off the edge of any island, or fall off your ship while sailing? Would you fall forever, would you eventually hit another world, would you hit the heart of the spiral and be lost forever. I just really wonder what happens to all those ships and the crews aboard who are sunk by our cannons.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I actually thought about that yesterday. I think you would fall and fall until you eventually ran out of oxygen and passed out, then the body would float helplessly in the blackness of the spiral.

Ensign
May 29, 2009
If you fall off of a land mass or ship in the Spiral, where will you land? In water? In vapor or clouds? I've been thinking about this since I got the raft, sorry if it sounds like a silly question.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I have a theory: our ships aren't magical, as in they aren't able to fly on their own. It is the skyway that is magical.
If you look at the height of all the islands, they are all the same and your ship sails at the same height. As you do quests you often have to collect barrels or crates or bits of wood, and they too are floating at the same level as your ship.

So, in answer to your question, I think that if you were to fall off your ship or an island you would just bob along in the magical field of the skyway.

That's just my theory on it. It has a few holes, I know.

Community Leader
Curious it shows that One-eyed Jack responded to this thread last...
Always love to read his responses..
Jack... wheres your post?!?!

.... Its a long way down .... but we our worlds are in bubbles, might be a long climb back to town... LOL

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Administrator
Dr Zeppers on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Curious it shows that One-eyed Jack responded to this thread last...
Always love to read his responses..
Jack... wheres your post?!?!

.... Its a long way down .... but we our worlds are in bubbles, might be a long climb back to town... LOL
heh! You noticed that, did you? I actually had to manually bump the topic to merge a couple of related threads. Then I deleted my bump message, but for some reason the boards didn't erase my magic interference.

As for the topic, I'll see if I can get Blind Mew to chime in. He knows a lot about these things.

(Personally whenever I find myself stranded in a skyway with no ship, I just click that magical take-me-back-to-the-last-life-fountain button I have hidden in my pocket.)

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Developer
Well, I think the answer depends on where you are when you fall off. If you're in a world of the Spiral, you'll fall (we have gravity, after all). You might get lucky and be bounced around a little by wind, but you'd fall untill you hit the edge of the bubble that surrounds each world, then you'd be in the Spiral (see below).

In the Spiral, you drift: gravity is no longer an issue. There are eddies and currents in the Spiral (the threads are the best examples), they would catch a hapless character and perhaps carry them to a world (which they'd then fall out of). You wouldn't worry about suffocating in the Spiral, but it's still not something you'd ever want to do - there's a reason ships never leave the threads. Once you leave the threads, there are... things that swim through the Outer Dark, things that are very big. And very hungry.

So why do crates and debris float? Clearly, the same reason that ships do. Long ago, the peoples of the Spiral perfected some kind of process, using exotic materials (think Cavorite) or lesser (i.e. non Wizardly) magic that makes things supernaturally buoyant. It's the basis of aeritime commerce.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
From what I can tell, the Spiral skies above the clouds have a natural bouyancy, which is why our ships can float. So if you fell, you should be able to remain afloat!

Community Leader
Lol that would be scary if well fell that far! We are in the clouds though, I'm sure it would be a long fall. It would be funny if we fell and suddenly poofed into Wizard City (Abracadoodles)

Ensign
May 17, 2011
I was just wondering what was bellow the clouds.

This game reminds me of The Edge Chronicals books.

-Dark Amber

Ensign
May 29, 2009
Blind Mew on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
Well, I think the answer depends on where you are when you fall off. If you're in a world of the Spiral, you'll fall (we have gravity, after all). You might get lucky and be bounced around a little by wind, but you'd fall untill you hit the edge of the bubble that surrounds each world, then you'd be in the Spiral (see below).

In the Spiral, you drift: gravity is no longer an issue. There are eddies and currents in the Spiral (the threads are the best examples), they would catch a hapless character and perhaps carry them to a world (which they'd then fall out of). You wouldn't worry about suffocating in the Spiral, but it's still not something you'd ever want to do - there's a reason ships never leave the threads. Once you leave the threads, there are... things that swim through the Outer Dark, things that are very big. And very hungry.

So why do crates and debris float? Clearly, the same reason that ships do. Long ago, the peoples of the Spiral perfected some kind of process, using exotic materials (think Cavorite) or lesser (i.e. non Wizardly) magic that makes things supernaturally buoyant. It's the basis of aeritime commerce.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! It's a good thing the Spirals' sea is made of water; for you see, I have eaten the Yum-Yum fruit, and therefore no longer have the ability to swim