Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Message Board Feedback

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Yes to all. But can we do links to the Zazzle store? I love the " Get. Me. OUTTA HERE !!!!! Shirt.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I recommend an auto save feature when typing posts.

Last night, I was typing a really long post and I accidentally went back to the previous page and lost all of what I had written. It wasn't fun having to rewrite it, especially since I was almost done.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
As the title states, this thread is just to get some ideas and suggestions on a subject we all are so fond of- our cozy little Message Boards. I for one absolutely love coming here and interacting with my fellow pirate friends. There are so many creative, helpful, and informative threads and topics and a wealth of entertainment and knowledge can be found on the boards.

That being said, it came to my attention that we spend lots of effort in making suggestions to the Pirate101 game, yet the message boards get somewhat overlooked in terms of what could help improve them. After all, so many of us on here spend as much time (if not more) on the boards as we do playing the game. Simply put for many of us it is our pirate's home away from home.

This is where we go to report issues, gain that edge in battle, seek out a friend for in game help, find answers to questions about the game, get tips on gear, seek a much needed laugh or kick our feet up as we enjoy some expertly done roleplaying.

So I think it would be a great idea for us all to share the following 2 things:

1. Suggestions or ideas on what would improve the message boards
2. What you enjoy most about pirate life here on the boards.

Or if you just have some input on 1 of the items that would be fantastic too.

I will start it off.

There are two things that immediately come to mind as far as ways to improve the message boards.

First off, I think it would be a nice addition if the amount of topics we could watch was increased. 25 seems like a lot at first but you can very quickly fill up those spots trying to keep on eye on threads you posted on or that are particularly interesting to you. As you may know I enjoy posting on a lot of topics- I would like to be able to watch as many of them as possible and respond to my friends posts after they replied to mine. With only 25 topics it can be easy to lose sight of some of those topics and I don't want anyone to feel slighted if I forgot to respond to their post- due to not being able to keep track of all the posts out there.

This leads to the second idea for improving the boards, which could help remedy the first a bit. I think that if they added a 'your topics' icon in addition to the Search, and Read New, Updated, Hottest, Watched Topics icons- it would allow you to keep track of the topics you write posts in. I know there already is the mini pencil icon next to the topics you write in but they can be spread out all over the boards with no way to track besides 'endless' searching. If they put the Pencil (I personally prefer a quill though) up top you could click it and all your posted in topics would be right there. This would also be much easier than searching for your posts by entering your message board name.

Anyways, those are just 2 of my thoughts- I would love to here your thoughts as well. I will follow up with some of my favorite things about life here on the boards.

Thank you for taking the time to read and good luck to all.

Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
As the title states, this thread is just to get some ideas and suggestions on a subject we all are so fond of- our cozy little Message Boards. I for one absolutely love coming here and interacting with my fellow pirate friends. There are so many creative, helpful, and informative threads and topics and a wealth of entertainment and knowledge can be found on the boards.

That being said, it came to my attention that we spend lots of effort in making suggestions to the Pirate101 game, yet the message boards get somewhat overlooked in terms of what could help improve them. After all, so many of us on here spend as much time (if not more) on the boards as we do playing the game. Simply put for many of us it is our pirate's home away from home.

This is where we go to report issues, gain that edge in battle, seek out a friend for in game help, find answers to questions about the game, get tips on gear, seek a much needed laugh or kick our feet up as we enjoy some expertly done roleplaying.

So I think it would be a great idea for us all to share the following 2 things:

1. Suggestions or ideas on what would improve the message boards
2. What you enjoy most about pirate life here on the boards.

Or if you just have some input on 1 of the items that would be fantastic too.

I will start it off.

There are two things that immediately come to mind as far as ways to improve the message boards.

First off, I think it would be a nice addition if the amount of topics we could watch was increased. 25 seems like a lot at first but you can very quickly fill up those spots trying to keep on eye on threads you posted on or that are particularly interesting to you. As you may know I enjoy posting on a lot of topics- I would like to be able to watch as many of them as possible and respond to my friends posts after they replied to mine. With only 25 topics it can be easy to lose sight of some of those topics and I don't want anyone to feel slighted if I forgot to respond to their post- due to not being able to keep track of all the posts out there.

This leads to the second idea for improving the boards, which could help remedy the first a bit. I think that if they added a 'your topics' icon in addition to the Search, and Read New, Updated, Hottest, Watched Topics icons- it would allow you to keep track of the topics you write posts in. I know there already is the mini pencil icon next to the topics you write in but they can be spread out all over the boards with no way to track besides 'endless' searching. If they put the Pencil (I personally prefer a quill though) up top you could click it and all your posted in topics would be right there. This would also be much easier than searching for your posts by entering your message board name.

Anyways, those are just 2 of my thoughts- I would love to here your thoughts as well. I will follow up with some of my favorite things about life here on the boards.

Thank you for taking the time to read and good luck to all.
Hi! Thought you'd like to know that the Watched Topics limit has been raised to a maximum of 50 topics.

Enjoy!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I suggest a small change to the Pirate Class Icons and want their colours to match the colours actually in the game.

from yellow to purple to match Swashbucklers
from green to orange to match Musketeers
from purple to green to match Witchdoctors
these two icons are fine as is since they already match in game class icons

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:
Hi! Thought you'd like to know that the Watched Topics limit has been raised to a maximum of 50 topics.

Enjoy!
WOW!

Enjoy I will, thank you kindly One-Eyed Jack and KI. That is great news indeed. There are so many good threads, now it will be much easier to keep track of our favorites. KI, you never cease to amaze us with your dedication to us pirates.

Thanks Again.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Wicked Victor Arms... on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:
I suggest a small change to the Pirate Class Icons and want their colours to match the colours actually in the game.

from yellow to purple to match Swashbucklers
from green to orange to match Musketeers
from purple to green to match Witchdoctors
these two icons are fine as is since they already match in game class icons
Great idea Victor. Changing the colors is a nice little touch that would make sense and wouldn't require KI any drastic programming changes. Nice.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I have one other suggestion that I would like to add- without sounding greedy or unappreciative of the most recent and very welcomed increase to 50 Watched Topics.

It would be nice if the Updated Topics listing could be increased to 2 pages (50 topics) as well. Some days a lot of topics are update including ones that were just previously new. On certain days if the boards take a while to update a lot of the topics or threads go unnoticed and there are some good, fun, interesting topics out there that get lost in the shuffle.

Just a suggestion, and once again not trying to sound greedy and/or ungrateful for the recent addition of Watched Topics. At least for me, it was quite a pleasant surprise. Thanks again KI and One-Eyed Jack.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Wicked Victor Arms... on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:

Last night, I was typing a really long post and I accidentally went back to the previous page and lost all of what I had written. It wasn't fun having to rewrite it, especially since I was almost done.
I've been logged off for taking too long and not known it until I tried to submit the post. Sometimes I rewrite the deleted post, sometimes not.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
I really like the feature that lets us expand/contract a long quote when we read a post with a quote. Thank you for that.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I think it would be a welcomed addition to the boards if you could have a relatively simple contact list. Say maybe 25 contacts, nothing to fancy though- just a drop down menu or interactive icon where you could pick your contact and see 2 pages of their most recent posts. You could add or remove a contact just by selecting their name. This way you could keep better track of some of your pirate friends and favorite posters.

I realize this may add too much extra, unwanted data and programming to the site. But if it could work it would be a great addition. Just my opinion though.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Row4n412 on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I've been logged off for taking too long and not known it until I tried to submit the post. Sometimes I rewrite the deleted post, sometimes not.
I have had this happen to me many times in the past. So much that now, after I am done typing, reviewing and making changes to my post, I select my entire post and copy it before hitting submit . That way if I find out that I have unknowingly been logged off I still have a copy of it. If I have been logged out, I can then log back in, open the reply to post page again. I click on the new window where you enter your text and paste the copy of the original post.

Doing this allows me to type whatever I want, make all the changes I need to and take as long as I wish. I can always copy and paste if logged out.

Alternatively if you are worried that you have been logged off and just to be on the safe side, you can type your post, copy it, cancel the post, then again select reply to post, paste the copy and then select submit. If you hadn't been logged off, no harm done- post goes through. If you have been logged off you still have the copy and can log back in and resubmit your reply post from the copy.

NOTE- Sometimes after you paste the copy to the new post reply window, if you click anywhere in the reply window- the copied text will 'disappear'. If this happens it is still copied, just paste it again. I often, immediately after pasting, type one letter where ever the mouse is and just erase it. This keeps the copied post 'disappearing act' from happening.

ONE OTHER NOTE- If you have a smiley or other icon at the beginning or end of the post don't include it in the copy, it won't let you copy or cut for some reason. You can always put it back after you paste. Generally I leave them out till after the copying/pasting and add them afterwards.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I have had this happen to me many times in the past. So much that now, after I am done typing, reviewing and making changes to my post, I select my entire post and copy it before hitting submit . That way if I find out that I have unknowingly been logged off I still have a copy of it. If I have been logged out, I can then log back in, open the reply to post page again. I click on the new window where you enter your text and paste the copy of the original post.

Doing this allows me to type whatever I want, make all the changes I need to and take as long as I wish. I can always copy and paste if logged out.

Alternatively if you are worried that you have been logged off and just to be on the safe side, you can type your post, copy it, cancel the post, then again select reply to post, paste the copy and then select submit. If you hadn't been logged off, no harm done- post goes through. If you have been logged off you still have the copy and can log back in and resubmit your reply post from the copy.

NOTE- Sometimes after you paste the copy to the new post reply window, if you click anywhere in the reply window- the copied text will 'disappear'. If this happens it is still copied, just paste it again. I often, immediately after pasting, type one letter where ever the mouse is and just erase it. This keeps the copied post 'disappearing act' from happening.

ONE OTHER NOTE- If you have a smiley or other icon at the beginning or end of the post don't include it in the copy, it won't let you copy or cut for some reason. You can always put it back after you paste. Generally I leave them out till after the copying/pasting and add them afterwards.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Wonderful tips and I have learned to do the very same thing after losing a few verbose posts of my own. Perhaps you could post this one on PHP too?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Wicked Victor Arms... on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:

I love this idea too. I have my mouse programed so that one of my side buttons is my 'back page' button and more than once I have moved my hand and mistakenly bumped my mouse as I leaned back and back it goes and all my stuff is lost. I, long ago, learned to do a select and copy before I submit a post just in case I have been unknowingly logged off but that mistaken back page happens without warning and I am generally not prepared for it. I try to save by copying every once in a while but I too have had those "Oh NO!" moments when I have done a long, well thought out post and in one bump, it is gone.
I heartily second this request.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
Wonderful tips and I have learned to do the very same thing after losing a few verbose posts of my own. Perhaps you could post this one on PHP too?
Thanks Chrissy. It definitely comes in handy although sometimes my head is in a fog and I still forget to do it. It might not be a bad idea to put on PHP as long as you don't think it seems out of place- but it is a tip for us that play the game so, why not?

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Due to the size of the Message Boards, I recommend increasing the number of pages that are returned from two to four. This will allow most people to find the messages they are looking for. Also, if the search turns up multiple findings in a thread, this will allow the search to find more messages since each hit in a thread takes up space. It is possible that one thread could take up two pages of display

Another option might be to allow the searcher to specify the number of pages he wants to see with the default being two. Of course, there would be a warning that the search would probably take longer with the more pages he/she specifies.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
I think you should create a tool where you could look at your own post!

Slick Luke Noble, lvl. 65 Muketeer
Strong Andy Armstrong, lvl. 65 Privateer

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I love the message boards, but one thing keeps getting to me. When I'm not able to access my computer, I use my phone to read the forums. But when I try to reply to something, I can't type anything into the box when I'm using my phone. When I tap on it all it does is highlight the box. I can do the smiley faces on the left, but that's it. Maybe the message boards could become a little more smartphone-friendly?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
I love the message boards, but one thing keeps getting to me. When I'm not able to access my computer, I use my phone to read the forums. But when I try to reply to something, I can't type anything into the box when I'm using my phone. When I tap on it all it does is highlight the box. I can do the smiley faces on the left, but that's it. Maybe the message boards could become a little more smartphone-friendly?
Hmm I can use my Android based phone to comment here. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the app you are using to get here?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
Hmm I can use my Android based phone to comment here. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the app you are using to get here?
I just go through the internet...maybe it's because my current Android is coming up on 4 years old!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
I just go through the internet...maybe it's because my current Android is coming up on 4 years old!
That could very well be it, lol. Kudos to you for taking such fantastic care of your electronics. They aren't designed to last that long and you have lovingly nurtured it to a ripe old age. Well done.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
That could very well be it, lol. Kudos to you for taking such fantastic care of your electronics. They aren't designed to last that long and you have lovingly nurtured it to a ripe old age. Well done.
Ah, thanks Chrissy! I'm (hopefully) getting a new phone within the next month, so my old (yet loyal) smartphone that shuts down in hysteria every other time I try to open an app will finally get a break.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I was wondering if there was any way that a feature could be implemented that placed a "watched topic" icon on the Topic/Thread listings within the different Forums. Like maybe a small Rolex or something-- you know watched? Ok that was down right bad...even for me!

We already have the little gold stars for topics we have posted in, but maybe for Watched Topics we could get something like a mini magnifying glass or perhaps something more pirate-y, such as a mini-spyglass. That way when perusing all of the different forums, we would more easily know which of the topics are ones that we designated as "Watched Topics" without having to either click on them and see or leave the page and go into our Watched Topics tab. Certainly not a necessity just a minor suggestion and/or request.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 17, 2014 wrote:
I was wondering if there was any way that a feature could be implemented that placed a "watched topic" icon on the Topic/Thread listings within the different Forums. Like maybe a small Rolex or something-- you know watched? Ok that was down right bad...even for me!

We already have the little gold stars for topics we have posted in, but maybe for Watched Topics we could get something like a mini magnifying glass or perhaps something more pirate-y, such as a mini-spyglass. That way when perusing all of the different forums, we would more easily know which of the topics are ones that we designated as "Watched Topics" without having to either click on them and see or leave the page and go into our Watched Topics tab. Certainly not a necessity just a minor suggestion and/or request.
I quite like that idea. It would mean I don't have to come up with something vaguely related to the topic to say if I just want to see what others are saying right as I come into the fora, rather than having to go look for them elsewhere.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
It's great that we can see what messages have come in since we were last on and is very helpful. From what I have seen, however, is that the determining factor is just the date and NOT the date and time that we were last on. What this means is that any message that is put on the forum after we sign on and has the same date as when we signed on will NOT show up as needing to be read. I've signed on mid-day (around 12:00 pm Central), read some messages and signed off. When I sign on later that day, some messages I know I haven't read show up as being read. If the sign on Date and Time were used to compare with when the message was added to the Forums, the Message Boards would be excellent.