Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Swashbuckler?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
i trained my swashbuckler in the musketeer class, I had to equip stabby/shooty weapons. this combination is awesome! i like it even more now!!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
I have trained my swashbuckler in privateer moves, and it is going good, and the barrage is better than that mojo strike spell witchdoctors use, guess Madam Vadima has been outranked by the commodore. Oh before I forget I need to tell my brother Octavio Atherton to tell Madam Vadima that the Commodore has asked her to duel him.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Here is the thing...

If a swashbuckler, or any class, equips a shooty combination weapon, will he or she be able to use skills that are only usable with shooty?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Well, I found that out for myself, eventually.

I am training my swashbuckler into Privateer class. Since I don't have need for Musketeer skills, although they ARE nice, I trained into Slashy weapons, since Slashy/Stabby combo weapons give me bonuses for both weapon types.

Another reason of course is for Rouse and Refresh. It took me a while to decide what I really wanted after Rouse and Refresh. Then I thought about it for a good while, and decided to train even further into Privateer.

The extra health from Tough is very nice to have, on top of that and Slashy weapons, you also get Elusive. Elusive is absolutely beautiful. Not only can you move even further once you hit below 50% health, outrunning everything across the entire battleboard. Not to mention that incredible dodge bonus you get. My dodge is already at 76 (I think), and once that elusive would kick in, I'd be in the 100's. I'd simply be incredibly hard to hit.

So, extra health, extra dodge once below 50% health (and since I have more health from Tough, the 50% mark still leaves me with plenty of a cushion) and incredible movement range. Not to mention Rouse and Refresh for emergencies.

I did train my very first point in Ghost Wail, from the Witchdoctor class. With Gunnery, I can use Ghost Wail to attack enemies from very far away, before they even get to come close.

Since I have such an incredible movement range, and since I can spend my first couple of turns setting myself up with buffs, I am also thinking about taking my practice point back from the Witchdoctor and putting that in Privateer. But, I have no clue how many practice points we'll even end up having at the end of level 50, so, that one practice point may not even be missed.

Ensign
Aug 07, 2009
I'm confused with the hide in the shadows power because when i use it, i am invisible for that one round but then they start attacking me again the next. Also, I love being able to jump over obstacles. It's really useful on board ships. Swashbucklers are awesome!

Petty Officer
Jul 28, 2011
Morgan Lafitte on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Swashbucklers rely on speed and finesse in combat, sneaking up on their foes and striking from surprise, then dodging the enemy's attacks when they finally come. They are deadly with a blade, but not nearly as tough as a Buccaneer, sacrificing toughness for damage.

If you are a Swashbuckler, look for ways to boost your AGILITY
so from wut shes saying is mordekai and buccaneers are all tough guy, they are also itty bitly weaklings? well i myself am i swashbuckler and ive seen other swashbucklers and buccaneers in action and i personally think that swashbucklers are much better. so novice swashbuclkers reading this, you will get great moves and companions. but there are only 4 swashbuckler companions i know of in the whole game; sarah steele, (swashbuclkers only) froggo villa, kan po, ( witchdoctors only) and el toro. but im sure theres some in the crown shop.

Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
I love this one,too,and I will post two reasons:

1.It looks EPIC when you go slo-mo super attacks...BACKFLIPS!

2.In the beginning when you choose your class,the reason for being locked up for Swashbucklers is really good,and like me

Captain
May 02, 2009
Morgan Lafitte on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Swashbucklers rely on speed and finesse in combat, sneaking up on their foes and striking from surprise, then dodging the enemy's attacks when they finally come. They are deadly with a blade, but not nearly as tough as a Buccaneer, sacrificing toughness for damage.

If you are a Swashbuckler, look for ways to boost your AGILITY
Swashbucklers are awesome all in all, with their moves and hitting with high damage but I'm never found of their health but it makes sense: If you do HEAVY damage then you have lower .

Community Leader
alica751 on Nov 5, 2012 wrote:
I'm confused with the hide in the shadows power because when i use it, i am invisible for that one round but then they start attacking me again the next. Also, I love being able to jump over obstacles. It's really useful on board ships. Swashbucklers are awesome!
Hide in the shadows is more of a way to get where you are going without being seen. I use this to get over to bosses and hit right at the last round of the shadow with a backstab skill , once you hit they have your position.

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Another real beautiful discovery I have made.

You don't lose Stealth when you use Poison Mist and Gloom's Mist. Whatever they are called.

Meaning, you can poison your enemies for some very heavy damage (potentially even more if you use Shadowdance/Grand Shadowdance), while not even getting touched.

However, a little care is required, you can still be hit by an AoE attack and lose your stealth. So, isolating yourself from your companions is a good way to keep that stealth going for the maximum number of turns.

Ensign
Mar 26, 2012
A good combo to do on multiple enemies is Assassin's Mist --> Shadowdance --> Dance of Steel and if you choose Privateer or any other class you can add there AOE power/talents/spells to the combo.

Cass Underwood Lvl 25
Ryan Underwood Lvl 5

Ensign
May 07, 2011
So far what I have found to work best for me is learn the first move from buccaneer then put the rest of your points on privateer. The first move in buccaneer doubles the distance you move and since swahbucklers move far you can imagine the fun. After that, I find privateer goes well too because of the heals. You can hide and heal when you're health is low and the elusive ability suits a swashbuckler. Also, there are some cool stabby/slashy weapons and having the slash boosts will help when you find those good ones.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
subata speaks on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
so from wut shes saying is mordekai and buccaneers are all tough guy, they are also itty bitly weaklings? well i myself am i swashbuckler and ive seen other swashbucklers and buccaneers in action and i personally think that swashbucklers are much better. so novice swashbuclkers reading this, you will get great moves and companions. but there are only 4 swashbuckler companions i know of in the whole game; sarah steele, (swashbuclkers only) froggo villa, kan po, ( witchdoctors only) and el toro. but im sure theres some in the crown shop.
Swashbuckler companions I have seen (not in crown shop) are:
Sarah Steele
Milo Graytail
Ninja Pig (I forget the name but he is exclusive to the promo. map)
El Toro
Kan Po
Froggo Villa
Toreador Novillero

These are the ones I know as of now. I might find more as I level up. My favorite is Froggo Villa. He looks like a ninja.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
Here's what I have learned about Hide in Shadows. It lets you hide like it says, but there are some instances where the enemy can see you again. If you attack then they can see you, and some enemies have abilities like repel boarders that can catch you and when they hit you it also makes you visible. There are some spells, however, that don't remove this effect. You can heal and boost stats without losing your invisibility and I also found that Assasin's Mist also won't lose it.

P.s. My favorite combo: Walk in Darkness, Dance of Shadows, Assasin's mist, Back Stab. Hope this helps.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
Good Combos I have found:

Single Enemy: Walk in Darkness > Grand Dance of Shadows > Assassin's Gloom > Assassin's Strike

Multiple Enemies: Grand Dance of Shadows > Assassin's Mist > Dance of Steel > Gunnery > Assassin's Gloom

I am part privateer so Gunnery is another multiple hit technique I have learned.

Ensign
Dec 01, 2012
scurvy scarlet on Nov 1, 2012 wrote:
i trained my swashbuckler in the musketeer class, I had to equip stabby/shooty weapons. this combination is awesome! i like it even more now!!
That is also what I have done. Being able to dodge many incoming attacks, sneak around to get the perfect hit, jump around in deck combat, and shoot (by using musketeer skills and shooty/stabby weapons) really suits my style. I have tried other classes, and I am by far more successful with Swashbuckler, just like I was with my storm wizard in Wizard101.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
Arrgh, its me cheerleaders, well at least in Tampa Bay they are
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Cheerleaders = Swashbucklers
They look pretty, dance around but avoid contact

Har Har Har!

Rhemas

Ensign
Oct 24, 2012
Cass Underwood on Oct 15, 2012 wrote:
Does Walk in Shadows and all the other moves that hides your pirate only work if you don't move

Cass Underwood L14
well i am a lvl 48 swashbuckler and if you walk in shadows you can still walk, but once you attack it goes away.
also if you use an attack like poison you will NOT lose your poisoning

Ensign
Oct 10, 2012
But I have a question, stormfang's a swashbuckler in haunted sky way. He casted a swashbuckler spell that showed a rose wilting above me, then it said, "Cursed!" above me. What is the name of this spell and what does
it do?

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
Darlin Anna on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:
Can someone tell me if and when the swashbuckler can use heavy armor gear? I am level 14.
i want to know that too, I have heavy armor gear I want to wear in my bank.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
Its the best school, and is way more powerful now that we have risposte.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
katniss everdeen on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Its the best school, and is way more powerful now that we have risposte.
There is no "best school" swashbuckler. The schools are all equal. One example, how are you planning on using riposte on a musketeer?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I am sure it was meant along the lines of "Swashbucklers are now even more powerful."

I am amazed at Musketeer's accuracy. My mom's accuracy at level 49 was in the 160's. My dodge is at 142. That is with everything I could find with the highest dodge rating. And that includes a bundle card equipment piece, which would not normally be found in the 'outside player world.'

I never yet tried to fight against a musketeer, but one thing is for sure. They would definitely be able to make me nervous.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Shiningfantasia on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
I am sure it was meant along the lines of "Swashbucklers are now even more powerful."

I am amazed at Musketeer's accuracy. My mom's accuracy at level 49 was in the 160's. My dodge is at 142. That is with everything I could find with the highest dodge rating. And that includes a bundle card equipment piece, which would not normally be found in the 'outside player world.'

I never yet tried to fight against a musketeer, but one thing is for sure. They would definitely be able to make me nervous.
Finally a person who thinks swashbuckler is more powerful than every school!
I appreciate that!

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50
Cunning Luke Sharp, Level 49

Community Leader
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Finally a person who thinks swashbuckler is more powerful than every school!
I appreciate that!

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50
Cunning Luke Sharp, Level 49
I guess it would depend on if they are in close hand to hand battle. My Swashbuckler is very powerful in close up battles. It is the distance battles that are swashbucklers weakness points. Even though you can hide in shadows Long distant classes such as Witchdoctor would have the bigger advantage with their area of effect powers.

For me swashbucklers need to get up in the mix as fast as possible. More of a front line class. I agree swashbucklers are power houses.

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"