Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Privateer?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 14, 2012
Privateers, in my opinion, are the Life Wizards of Pirate101. I have a Privateer friend, and I've noticed that she gets a lot of spells that might boost your accuracy, critical chance, or even strength. Also, I've noticed that she not only tends to get excited when she gets a new healing spell , but sometimes the major healing spells do less than the minor healing spells.

My favorite Privateer power is the bomb attack, if you know what I mean. She and I like to call it "Bombs Away!".

Cassandra Quinn, Level 25 Swashbuckler

Ensign
Oct 18, 2012
I'm a privateer and we get a lot of healing and things to boost strength,accuracy,and things like that. I get excited when I get a new healing spell but some would gt excited about the boost things. I only know of 1 type of spell that privateers do that really attack. That is a bomb attack. Like Cassandra Quinn I call it bombs away.

We are more of a healer and a booster in battles we do very little damage but we get more companions then anyone else in pirate101. There main weapon is slashy/smashy but it could be something else.

When you're a privateer you would mainly want to boost strength but also will (for healing).

They have lots of heath instead of strength again that's were the companions help.

In the game I'm a level 26 privateer in Cool Ranch
Hope this helps!

Ensign
Jul 06, 2008
Sometimes I feel I am the only Privateer that likes to heal other pirates. : /

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 31, 2012 wrote:
sparkstorm150: Homeworld for Privateer should be Grizzleheim with Treason as the reason you are in the Brig.
MooShu - Born Warrior - Buccaneer
Skull Island - Born Sneak - Swashbuckler
Grizzleheim - Born Tough - Privateer
Krokotopia - Born Spooky - Witchdoctor
Marleybone - Born Keen Eyes - Musketeer

are the ways I understand the worlds and the Class of Pirate work best.
I feel stupid now. I musketeer but I chose krokotpia for homeworld. but shouldn't the buccaneer and privateer homeworld be switched around

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
I love privateer, I like healing other players and i can even do some damage if need be.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
privateer are the class i had the most fun playing! their healing and boosting just makes you feel layed back and relax.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Michael LifeSong on Feb 21, 2013 wrote:
Sometimes I feel I am the only Privateer that likes to heal other pirates. : /
You're not alone, TeaMan. But as with life wizards in Wiz101, it is nicer not be hounded for healing.

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
What is a privateer well they are a very awesome class!
Quiet Zachary Armstrong

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
The Commodore on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Privateers are born leaders, commanders who can rally their troops to victory through the most desperate of battles. Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class, and their powers focus on boosting their Companions' capabilities and healing them in the thick of the fight.

If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your WILL
"If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your STRENGTH"

I actually believe Privateers are supporters. So, you are saying Privateers are battlers? Because I am a supporter, buffing and healing companions, why do I need Strength?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Privateer Zipman on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
"If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your STRENGTH"

I actually believe Privateers are supporters. So, you are saying Privateers are battlers? Because I am a supporter, buffing and healing companions, why do I need Strength?
You may be so busy buffing and healing that you rarely attack but boosted strength will help you hit harder when one of your defensive epics trigger when you are attacked such as repel boarders.

Ensign
Jun 15, 2013
barney185 on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
1) This says look for STRENGTH.
2) the Skills that come with a number of Privateer Companions are strength-related/bucaneer skills.

BUT - the crowns gear for Privateer is strongly increases wisdom over strength.

This thread now mentions Spooky.

???
I know that privateers are good, but just asking, are they the best kind of pirates. Like, are they better than the buccaneers.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Sorry that a swashbuckler is invading this thread, but I'm wondering, do you think I should make a Privateer character? Recently I've been taking an interest in rapiers rather than daggers, and I enjoy fighting with slashy weapons more. Think I should make a new character to be a privateer, or stick to being a swashbuckler using a privateer's weapons?

~Elizabeth, level 31 ~

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:
Sorry that a swashbuckler is invading this thread, but I'm wondering, do you think I should make a Privateer character? Recently I've been taking an interest in rapiers rather than daggers, and I enjoy fighting with slashy weapons more. Think I should make a new character to be a privateer, or stick to being a swashbuckler using a privateer's weapons?

~Elizabeth, level 31 ~
I think you would have fun with a privateer. Lots of buffs and heals. Everybody loves a privateer when there is a battle to be done . My highest is a privateer and I had a blast with her.

Ensign
Jun 03, 2013
The Commodore on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Privateers are born leaders, commanders who can rally their troops to victory through the most desperate of battles. Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class, and their powers focus on boosting their Companions' capabilities and healing them in the thick of the fight.

If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your WILL
My brother is a privateer and he seems to enjoy healing people, but I like witchdoctors.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Aug 24, 2013 wrote:

~Elizabeth, level 31 ~
Hi Elizabeth, sorry I am late to the party, as it were, I had not noticed your question before. Rapiers should be a stabby weapon; your swords, scimitars, and the like are a slashy weapon. (I too simply prefer the very classical 'swashbuckler' weapons for my swashbuckler). As a privateer, you can train in any of the weapons you want (you start with smashy, I think.) At level 63, Charlotte (my privateer... well, you know her) likes her two-handed Dragoon sword the best, but she was mostly slashy/shooty for a while there. Privateers are very versatile, and ironically, perhaps it can be a challenge to figure out what they should be doing best. Certainly you will need a different strategy than your swashbuckler. (Lesson learned: do not send your privateer up to the front to lead from there). Charlotte's lack of accuracy was killing me for quite some time (literally), but now she does really well and isn't a half-bad fighter herself. But it is the support of your companions, the support of your team, where the privateer really shines. For me, Charlotte is a great character, and I love especially the large variety of her companions.

However, there are a few things I might have done differently with the benefit of hindsight. First, I might have made my privateer come from Marleybone, to get the accuracy boost (Charlotte came from Grizzleheim, which made a nice backstory, and I wouldn't want to change it now). Second, I would really focus more on WILL and secondarily on STR. You need that strength for hand-to-hand combat, but your will boosts your powers more.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
Hi Elizabeth, sorry I am late to the party, as it were, I had not noticed your question before. Rapiers should be a stabby weapon; your swords, scimitars, and the like are a slashy weapon. (I too simply prefer the very classical 'swashbuckler' weapons for my swashbuckler). As a privateer, you can train in any of the weapons you want (you start with smashy, I think.) At level 63, Charlotte (my privateer... well, you know her) likes her two-handed Dragoon sword the best, but she was mostly slashy/shooty for a while there. Privateers are very versatile, and ironically, perhaps it can be a challenge to figure out what they should be doing best. Certainly you will need a different strategy than your swashbuckler. (Lesson learned: do not send your privateer up to the front to lead from there). Charlotte's lack of accuracy was killing me for quite some time (literally), but now she does really well and isn't a half-bad fighter herself. But it is the support of your companions, the support of your team, where the privateer really shines. For me, Charlotte is a great character, and I love especially the large variety of her companions.

However, there are a few things I might have done differently with the benefit of hindsight. First, I might have made my privateer come from Marleybone, to get the accuracy boost (Charlotte came from Grizzleheim, which made a nice backstory, and I wouldn't want to change it now). Second, I would really focus more on WILL and secondarily on STR. You need that strength for hand-to-hand combat, but your will boosts your powers more.
Wow. That took me forever to see that post.

Thank you for your opinion Anne and Chrissy, and I am happy to say that I now have a privateer character. Although I haven't really tested her out yet, I am looking forward to the chance to do so. As of right now, though, I'm going to finish my Elizabeth swashbuckler character and maybe have some fun (farming, hanging out with friend, the like) before I use my privateer character. Although I have been inviting many of my friends to this game, so maybe when I help them I'll use my new privateer character to go through the game with them? Thanks for the tip about Marleybone origin Anne, and the others in this thread for all of the great advice on Privateers.

~Elizabeth, level 56 ~

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
hi I am new to the game and was wondering if there is a class that can wield just 1 sword a single handed sword I would like to use just the sword and I saw a privateer have that factor is the privateer the only 1 that can wield that srry for invading this forum but I would like to know as I am leaning toward the privateer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DashThunder on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
hi I am new to the game and was wondering if there is a class that can wield just 1 sword a single handed sword I would like to use just the sword and I saw a privateer have that factor is the privateer the only 1 that can wield that srry for invading this forum but I would like to know as I am leaning toward the privateer
Welcome to the message board family Dash Thunder. You are not invading at all, your questions are welcome. There are many kinds of weapons that all classes can use. Some will give you a better boost if you use them. A privateer for example will get a better damage boost if they use a slashy weapon or a weapon that is a combo of slashy. What ever the second part of a combo weapon that is your favorite (for example I love slashy/smashy because they do higher damage on average) you can train in that second weapon so you will get bonus damage from both parts. My Privateer has a great one handed sword that is slashy/smashy. What ever type you like, just check the bazaar or crown shop and chose what ever your level can use. Or if you like, you can stitch another weapon's look over what you are able to use, as long as it is the same type. I had a great sword that looked like it was a spiral or twisted design and I stitched that to several weapons just because I liked that look.
So your pirate can use any type of weapon you want, you may lose some damage if it in not of your trained weapons, and some of your powers may not work work if you don't have your 'class' weapon equipped, but you can still fight with it. Try checking out the bazaar and have it list its weapons by class and you can see what is available at that time. Pirate 101 Central has lots of weapons lists too that will tell you which class they are best for.
I hope I have not confused you too much. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
Welcome to the message board family Dash Thunder. You are not invading at all, your questions are welcome. There are many kinds of weapons that all classes can use. Some will give you a better boost if you use them. A privateer for example will get a better damage boost if they use a slashy weapon or a weapon that is a combo of slashy. What ever the second part of a combo weapon that is your favorite (for example I love slashy/smashy because they do higher damage on average) you can train in that second weapon so you will get bonus damage from both parts. My Privateer has a great one handed sword that is slashy/smashy. What ever type you like, just check the bazaar or crown shop and chose what ever your level can use. Or if you like, you can stitch another weapon's look over what you are able to use, as long as it is the same type. I had a great sword that looked like it was a spiral or twisted design and I stitched that to several weapons just because I liked that look.
So your pirate can use any type of weapon you want, you may lose some damage if it in not of your trained weapons, and some of your powers may not work work if you don't have your 'class' weapon equipped, but you can still fight with it. Try checking out the bazaar and have it list its weapons by class and you can see what is available at that time. Pirate 101 Central has lots of weapons lists too that will tell you which class they are best for.
I hope I have not confused you too much. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions.
thx Chrissy

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
also are privateers good at close combat I love fighting in close for the awesome criticals and feeling like a boss lol plus as a privateer i can heal myself to stay in the fight so is close combat a possibility for the privateer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DashThunder on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
also are privateers good at close combat I love fighting in close for the awesome criticals and feeling like a boss lol plus as a privateer i can heal myself to stay in the fight so is close combat a possibility for the privateer
It is a possibility but it just doesn't happen often because you are generally busy boosting your crew or healing as needed. You can get some great non auction gear from bosses that will give you some really good close combat hits for those times you have an enemy in range and you are not needed in the crew assistance department.
A privateer works best as a leader, in the background, boosting and healing their crew or anyone else fighting with you so that they can fight at their best for you but you will be quite capable of doing your own damage, especially if you are carrying a strong weapon.

Ensign
May 16, 2013
This a question I have been pondering for a while. I apologize if its already been asked/answered..

When using spells consecutively, such as 'Discipline' followed by 'Enduring Discipline' or 'Battle Zeal' followed by 'Espirit De Corps' etc. Do the spells run concurrently (that is, either the 'best' spell cancels the other out or the current spell cancels the previous spell), or are your attributes (ie; critical chance or accuracy/dodge in these examples) further enhanced by each spell? I'm running on the presumption of the latter, otherwise what's the point in having two spells!?

If someone can clarify that would be great :)

Thanks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kiwim8 on Nov 21, 2013 wrote:
This a question I have been pondering for a while. I apologize if its already been asked/answered..

When using spells consecutively, such as 'Discipline' followed by 'Enduring Discipline' or 'Battle Zeal' followed by 'Espirit De Corps' etc. Do the spells run concurrently (that is, either the 'best' spell cancels the other out or the current spell cancels the previous spell), or are your attributes (ie; critical chance or accuracy/dodge in these examples) further enhanced by each spell? I'm running on the presumption of the latter, otherwise what's the point in having two spells!?

If someone can clarify that would be great :)

Thanks.
They don't cancel each other out. The effect is stacked.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
johny chris on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I know that privateers are good, but just asking, are they the best kind of pirates. Like, are they better than the buccaneers.
I, for one, do think that privateers are better than buccaneers, because even though they don't hit hard, the privateers give team bonuses, where buccaneers are focused more on themselves alone.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Just read through this entire thread, and safe to say, a lot of nice questions and nice answers

Here is an idea to test out coming from a poorly experienced Privateer ( Well, I think I am poorly experienced )

Sorry if some of this stuff has already been explained in another thread , but assuming that those whom are leaning towards making a Privateer will check this thread out first, I'll say it anyways:

When it says Privateers will receive the most companions, it means overall, not including crown companions and such. While Privateers possessing a good combination of Strength and Will is very smart, I began a different strategy of mine. My Privateer has begun using a Slashy/Staffy combo, considering that his Will is very high. With this, you can take the advantage of Melee strikes ( ie: Assassin Strike, Back Stab, etc. ) while also, if you acquire such a gear, using a Great Juju power to increase your Will. P101 Wiki can help you locate such gear ( - cough - Marazume Castle!!! - cough - ) Another reason why I use Slashy/Staffy instead of a Slashy/Smashy combo is because of 2 very unique powers that Privateers have. One being Fighting Fervor and another being Tower of Iron Will ( Both conveniently linked to a basic description of them ) What some people don't know is that the strength of their buff relies heavily on the damage bonus you receive from your will.

ie: A Privateer has Will of 90, so his Will would add 18 damage to any weapon that uses will. If you were to use Fighting Fervor, it would increase everyone's damage ( that is controlled by your weapon damage, not powers such as Ghostwail or the bombs used by Muskets or Poison ) by 18. With Tower of Iron Will, it would increase everyone's Armor and Resistance by 18 :)

Now, with the increase from a Great Juju, The base will of This Privateer is 55, so it would bring his Will up to 145, therefore increasing his Will bonus by 11, totaling 29. The rest is easy to follow :)