Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Prime Stats, Bursts and Criticals

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Dear Ratbeard;
Thank you for developing this wonderful turn-based combat system. Thanks also for the insights you have shared on the message boards. Lucas Walker and I had some questions about combat system mechanics:
1. How do prime stats (Agility, Strength, and Will) figure into calculation of triggering Epics like Burst Fire, Relentless, and Mojo echo?
2. How do prime stats (Agility, Strength, and Will) figure into the Damage Roll (with respect to Critical hits)?
3. If net accuracy is Accuracy + Base chance to hit - Dodge, How does Net Accuracy figure into calculation of triggering Epics like Burst Fire, Relentless, and Mojo echo?
4. How does Net Accuracy figure into the Damage Roll (with respect to Critical hits)?
5. If "any attack can hit and any attack can miss", How does Net Accuracy figure into the roll to hit?
6. Some attacks, like Repel Boarders, seem to hit more often than a normal attack. Are there different base chances for different types of attacks (excluding Powers, which always hit)?

Developer
1. How do prime stats (Agility, Strength, and Will) figure into calculation of triggering Epics like Burst Fire, Relentless, and Mojo echo?

If your stat is higher than your target's stat, you'll receive a bonus to the chance that the epic talent will trigger. The higher your stat compared to theirs, the bigger the bonus.

2. How do prime stats (Agility, Strength, and Will) figure into the Damage Roll (with respect to Critical hits)?

Prime stats do not figure into the critical chance. Other than the crit buff and debuff spells, nothing adjusts the crit chance. This is the same for both players and mobs (ie, there are no "cheating bosses" with a higher than normal crit chance).

3. If net accuracy is Accuracy + Base chance to hit - Dodge, How does Net Accuracy figure into calculation of triggering Epics like Burst Fire, Relentless, and Mojo echo?

Accuracy does not factor into the calculation of triggering Epics (except, obviously, they only trigger if you hit in the first place).

4. How does Net Accuracy figure into the Damage Roll (with respect to Critical hits)?

Other than the crit buff and debuff spells, nothing adjusts the crit chance.

5. If "any attack can hit and any attack can miss",
How does Net Accuracy figure into the roll to hit?

The hit roll is "clamped" so that there is always a small chance that you can hit (even if your accuracy is very much lower) and always a small chance for you to dodge (even if your dodge is very much lower).

6. Some attacks, like Repel Boarders, seem to hit more often than a normal attack. Are there different base chances for different types of attacks (excluding Powers, which always hit)?

NO, Repel Boarders is not any more likely to hit. All abilities have the same base chance to hit, unless the talent tells you otherwise.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
Thank you!!! That helped to clear up a lot of things that I was wondering about! 5000 stars for you.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
HOWEVER, I have a question that stems off of question #1 above. (Sorry, I'm still new here.) Since it doesn't seem like our main characters have any epic talents that randomly trigger--only our companions do--then does this mean that the only benefits of high Agility, Strength, and Will on our main character are:
A) +1 damage for every multiple of 5, and
B) reduce the chance of opponents triggering an epic talent against us?
Or am I missing something?

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Vicious J on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
HOWEVER, I have a question that stems off of question #1 above. (Sorry, I'm still new here.) Since it doesn't seem like our main characters have any epic talents that randomly trigger--only our companions do--then does this mean that the only benefits of high Agility, Strength, and Will on our main character are:
The damage of powers are also increased. The higher your Agility, the more damage you'll do with things like Hail of Cannonballs. The higher your Will, the more damage powers like Mojo storm do and heals do as well.

Having high stats also decreases damage taken from an attack using that stat. A Swashbuckler's attack will normally do more on a Witchdoctor than on a Musketeer because Musketeer have high Agility.

I also believe some powers do more damage based on what weapon is used. I remember reading some Ratbeard posted about how Swashbuckler's will do more with things like Assassin Strike because it's their power. It allows Swashbucklers to be the best with that power.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Vicious J on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
We will get some of those randomly triggering powers later on as your character ages. So those stats will really count then.

Please don't feel you need to apologize for your questions. It is what we are here for and a most of the time we learn too as there are many questions asked that we didn't think of yet. You ask great questions and it shows you are a good thinker. Keep it up.