Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Where is Marleybone's culture from?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 23, 2013
Personaly, I'm thinking that Marleybone is based on Britian and France. Not only that, but the U.S. is also kind of based on it. Also for a little Spain for their gold bars on ships. But the most I think it is, the American Revolution is kinds based on it. Like they are at war and everything they do, is travel on ships and fight hard. That's exactly what I think Marleybone is. Like Hawkes said, Carleyborn!

Ensign
Aug 25, 2009
I think I remember Blind Mew saying that Pirate101's Marleybone is based off of Dickens' London, like "A Christmas Carol".

Ensign
Jul 26, 2009
Marleybone is based on Great Britain and Great Britain only. The Isle of Dogs is a play on words of The Isle of Man, which is a part of the British Isles. Also, the British navy was always a very powerful force historically, and the conflict with Albion is the same as the one between England And Ireland. The war with Valencia is not in fact symbolic of the American Revolution. I think it is unique to the game. Maybe the destruction of the Spanish armada? Anyway, as far as I know, the U.S. is not at all featured in Pirate101, except for maybe Cool Ranch which is based on the "Wild West".

Additional info:

Albion= Ireland
Rajah=India
Skull Island=Caribbean
Monquista=Spain
Mooshu=Japan and China
Polaris= France
Aquila=Ancient Greece and a bunch of legendary places

Hope this helped!

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Well, judging from how they made their golems (steam-powered know-how), I would think it was Steampunk, which is based off of the Victorian Era of Britain. Also, in Ratbeard's final promotion released so far, you find Ebenezer Scrooge from A Christmas Carol, which was written during the Victorian Era and takes place in the same era.

~Quick Pearl

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
it's based on england,dicken's england to be exact there are also some things that prove it's based on england
all the dogs have british accents
refrencing how they said albion was taken over by marleybone long ago is a pararell to how to even this day,england took over scotland long ago in the mediveal ages
blind mew also stated that it was based of dicken's england
heck on the w101 website it says that the dogs have manners based of 19th century england
also here is some more heads up
skull island=carribean,florida i guess in flotsam and central america
monquista=spain
valencia=italy(if it was led by terminators and princess celestia from friendship is magic.)
cool ranch=north america,mainly texas
mooshu=asia,mainly china and japan
and aquila=ancient greece...before the country and china became a piece of................................................................................
*Jack skellington appears out of nowhere*
Jack:Hi i'm jack skellington,you might know me from the tim burton movie "the nightmare before christmas" what silver joseph vane said about modern greece and china is a little too...adultish so im just here to censor it bye now
*cut back to me*
sorry guys about that i just hate communism. which is probabbly another reason why i am sick of people making rumors that polaris is next
silver joseph vane

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Lordofwinter35 on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Marleybone is based on Great Britain and Great Britain only. The Isle of Dogs is a play on words of The Isle of Man, which is a part of the British Isles. Also, the British navy was always a very powerful force historically, and the conflict with Albion is the same as the one between England And Ireland. The war with Valencia is not in fact symbolic of the American Revolution. I think it is unique to the game. Maybe the destruction of the Spanish armada? Anyway, as far as I know, the U.S. is not at all featured in Pirate101, except for maybe Cool Ranch which is based on the "Wild West".

Additional info:

Albion= Ireland
Rajah=India
Skull Island=Caribbean
Monquista=Spain
Mooshu=Japan and China
Polaris= France

Hope this helped!
I'd say Lordofwinter has the most accurate description of Marleybonian culture. I just wanted to add a little to his post.

First, Albion is a mix of Ireland and Scotland. The Radicals were members of a rebellious movement started in Scotland during the industrial revolution as an attempt to improve the working conditions of the average Scottish worker.

While the Isle of Dogs can be taken as a play on the Isle of Man, there is also a section of London England which is called the Isle of Dogs.

Marleybone is ruled over by Queen Victoria, who is also pictured as a corgie. England was ruled over by Queen Victoria during the late 1800's, (the Victorian Period), Also, the current Queen, Elizabeth II is well known for owning several corgies.

I personally do take the war between Marleybone and Valencia as being the war against the Spanish and Portuguese? armadas just before the Napoleonic War.. This is hinted strongly by the presence of Lord Nelson, and the Battle of Trafalgar.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
thatonevalenciansw... on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
it's based on england,dicken's england to be exact there are also some things that prove it's based on england
all the dogs have british accents
refrencing how they said albion was taken over by marleybone long ago is a pararell to how to even this day,england took over scotland long ago in the mediveal ages
blind mew also stated that it was based of dicken's england
heck on the w101 website it says that the dogs have manners based of 19th century england
also here is some more heads up
skull island=carribean,florida i guess in flotsam and central america
monquista=spain
valencia=italy(if it was led by terminators and princess celestia from friendship is magic.)
cool ranch=north america,mainly texas
mooshu=asia,mainly china and japan
and aquila=ancient greece...before the country and china became a piece of................................................................................
*Jack skellington appears out of nowhere*
Jack:Hi i'm jack skellington,you might know me from the tim burton movie "the nightmare before christmas" what silver joseph vane said about modern greece and china is a little too...adultish so im just here to censor it bye now
*cut back to me*
sorry guys about that i just hate communism. which is probabbly another reason why i am sick of people making rumors that polaris is next
silver joseph vane
Sorry, just a couple of things.

First, Scotland was not ruled by England during the Middle Ages, In 1314, Scotland won independence from England through the leadership of Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn, and the prior uprising largely led by Sir William Wallace. From 1314, until James I was crowned King of Scotland and England, Scotland was an independent country. Please note, that this was not England taking over Scotland, but quite the reverse, James Stuart was crowned King of Scotland first, he inherited the English throne afterwards. This began the Stuart line of English Kings which eventually lead on to Prince Charles Stuart "the Pretender" who tried unsuccessfully to regain Scottish Independence and eventually fled to France.

Second, Greece is not a communist country, nor has it ever been a communist country. It has a democratic government and is a part of the European Union. It does currently have some rather terrible debt issues, and has had to invoke (or almost invoke) some rather unorthodox and much protested financial laws in order to avoid complete bankruptcy.

Thirdly, and finally, I take Cool Ranch as being entirely American, not a version of North America. I see no evidence of any part of Cool Ranch being based on Canada. (Except perhaps the name of Fort McMurty).

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
CdeWinter on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Sorry, just a couple of things.

First, Scotland was not ruled by England during the Middle Ages, In 1314, Scotland won independence from England through the leadership of Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn, and the prior uprising largely led by Sir William Wallace. From 1314, until James I was crowned King of Scotland and England, Scotland was an independent country. Please note, that this was not England taking over Scotland, but quite the reverse, James Stuart was crowned King of Scotland first, he inherited the English throne afterwards. This began the Stuart line of English Kings which eventually lead on to Prince Charles Stuart "the Pretender" who tried unsuccessfully to regain Scottish Independence and eventually fled to France.

Second, Greece is not a communist country, nor has it ever been a communist country. It has a democratic government and is a part of the European Union. It does currently have some rather terrible debt issues, and has had to invoke (or almost invoke) some rather unorthodox and much protested financial laws in order to avoid complete bankruptcy.

Thirdly, and finally, I take Cool Ranch as being entirely American, not a version of North America. I see no evidence of any part of Cool Ranch being based on Canada. (Except perhaps the name of Fort McMurty).
Just had to add a bit to my previous post.

England had ruled Scotland prior to Robert I, but only since John Balliol abdicated the Scottish throne in 1296. John Balliol had gain the Scottish throne following the death of Margaret, Maid of Norway, Margaret was the last ruler in a very long line of Scottish Kings and Queens. This means that during the Middle Ages, England only ruled over Scotland from 1296 to 1314.
(Although, many consider John Balliol as being a puppet King of Edward I)

Unlike what is said of Marleybone conquering Albion, and controlling Albion since ancient times, England's rule over Scotland is a rather recent development when the longer history of both countries is considered.

Developer
Lordofwinter35 on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:

Additional info:

Albion= Ireland
Rajah=India
Skull Island=Caribbean
Monquista=Spain
Mooshu=Japan and China
Polaris= France

Hope this helped!
Just a note, the Isle of Dogs is also a neighborhood/district of London, one devoted to shipping and docks! It made the name a double pun.

The war with Valencia resonates a little with all of England's great conflicts - Nelson brings with him the Napoleonic wars, much of which were fought at sea (Master and Commander brings this conflict indelibly to life - I must have watched that movie half a dozen times while writing MB), while we're also drawing on the Blitz in WW2 and, of course, the Spanish Armada...

A lot of people want to say Skull Island is America because of Avery's state-building ambitions, but it really is just the Caribbean. There was a little-known but very real move by many big pirates (including Blackbeard) to set up an independent "pirate utopia" in the Bahamas that was beholden to no monarch - a true Pirate republic. It didn't last...

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Blind Mew on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
Just a note, the Isle of Dogs is also a neighborhood/district of London, one devoted to shipping and docks! It made the name a double pun.

The war with Valencia resonates a little with all of England's great conflicts - Nelson brings with him the Napoleonic wars, much of which were fought at sea (Master and Commander brings this conflict indelibly to life - I must have watched that movie half a dozen times while writing MB), while we're also drawing on the Blitz in WW2 and, of course, the Spanish Armada...

A lot of people want to say Skull Island is America because of Avery's state-building ambitions, but it really is just the Caribbean. There was a little-known but very real move by many big pirates (including Blackbeard) to set up an independent "pirate utopia" in the Bahamas that was beholden to no monarch - a true Pirate republic. It didn't last...
What an excellent double pun! I had thought 'Isle of Dogs' was a playful reference to the Isle of Man, but did not know about the London district. Very clever. I learn something new every day!

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
I kinda figure all of them out as I go, but is Valencia based off of Italy? Sivella reminded me of Venice because of the Gondolas.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, when I first got to Marleybone, I saw huge ship battles taking place, almost like dogfights. I kinda figured out that the Armada VS Royal Navy thing in the skies was drawn on the plans of the Germans in World War 2 to destroy the RAF in the legendary Battle of Britain so they could invade Britain in Operation Sealion. So, in this case, the Armada=Luftwaffe, and the Royal Navy= Royal Air Force. A little bit of history there! Enjoy!

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
loconico553 on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Personaly, I'm thinking that Marleybone is based on Britian and France. Not only that, but the U.S. is also kind of based on it. Also for a little Spain for their gold bars on ships. But the most I think it is, the American Revolution is kinds based on it. Like they are at war and everything they do, is travel on ships and fight hard. That's exactly what I think Marleybone is. Like Hawkes said, Carleyborn!
Its based on Great Britain, If you know about the revolutionary war in America The Americans fought against Britan and they were "Red Coats"

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
From what I've seen in videos. It looks like Marleybone is based off of the Victorian Era because it talks about union workhouses in some side quests. Also Ratbeard's promo quest has a character similar to Ebenezer Scrooge from the ''Christmas Carol''