Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nurse Quinn what talents make her useful?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I enjoyed the Western references, and thought Nurse Quinn was a funny one. I was happy to get her as crew, liking another female companion. In fights though, I was disappointed with her, which seems a common opinion. People also say every crew member has potential for some circumstances. As a swashbuckler with privateer heals, maybe I'm not feeling the love for her. Maybe I picked the wrong talent and epics for her. Has anyone come up with a combination where she pulls her weight well on the crew? Perhaps by maxing her in just one or two epics? Often she either can't reach the enemy, or she dies in an exchange.
I always felt if she is there to heal she should have at least one more of them,or a team heal to really heal, or perhaps a defensive spell to protect her. If healing is her only purpose, she ought to be better at it.

Community Leader
Unfortunately, swashbucklers get a lot of useless companions in cool ranch and Valencia. Nurse Quinn is one of them. Melee witchdoctors are some of the most fragile companions in the game, since they have neither the accuracy nor the dodge to be particularly useful in combat. The heal is nice, but Quinn is such a burden to the team otherwise, you're best off putting her on orders. If you have a desire to use female companions, you have a multitude to select from that aren't going to have a detrimental effect on your team such as Sarah Steele, Bonnie Anne, Fan Flanders, and Contessa.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Nurse Quinn with a lot of dodgy can hold her own in some melee battles, I have found. She doesn't draw a lot of epic strings since she doesn't have any really of her own. I play with a random crew, so she does sometimes join for my swashbuckler.

If you don't ever use a companion in battle, you won't learn anything about them. Use them and you'll figure out what they can do.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Sorry, I posted my answer about Nurse Quinn in your post about the Crab Hermit.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Matthew525011 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
Unfortunately, swashbucklers get a lot of useless companions in cool ranch and Valencia. Nurse Quinn is one of them. Melee witchdoctors are some of the most fragile companions in the game, since they have neither the accuracy nor the dodge to be particularly useful in combat. The heal is nice, but Quinn is such a burden to the team otherwise, you're best off putting her on orders. If you have a desire to use female companions, you have a multitude to select from that aren't going to have a detrimental effect on your team such as Sarah Steele, Bonnie Anne, Fan Flanders, and Contessa.
I have Found Gracie Conrad to be quite useful. I think Nurse Quinn should get a variant of the leech ability. Maybe something like using leeches LOL

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
I have Found Gracie Conrad to be quite useful. I think Nurse Quinn should get a variant of the leech ability. Maybe something like using leeches LOL

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Leech Storm Attack! A cloud of leeches are propelled onto the enemy ( yuck! Remember The African Queen? Pass the salt! )

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Matthew525011 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
Conrad is a good tank, also her mine + scratch can easily take out enemies half health, it's basically a weaker version of blood flames that everyone can get. I consider her a good female companion, but I agree with you on Quinn

I have never liked Melee Witchdoctors, no promotions either, i believe they need to switch her class to privateer and give her more accurate, because she isn't really that great right now.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
in the last brief test realm i made a few suggestions for updating and promoting nurse quinn..

like toro seems she hasn't ever exactly joined our crew, and though changing her class to privateer seems useful I'm sure ratbeard has his reasons for why she is a witchdoctor.. possibly because though wd main base is will the second base is agility? idk just guessing here.. so with that in mind i attempted to theorize on what a good melee witchdoctor could bring to a swashbuckler's crew..

1)at level 21 most WD pirates learn juju.. its a small buff but universal, she IS a chicken after all so it makes sense she should get that card power in addition to her rouse at the time of acquisition imo.. would make her more useful in the trickier parts of cool ranch.. not quite a game-changer but it adds a tiny boost of helpfulness that i think would be appreciated by most pirates..

2)once promoted I'd like to see her get an upgrade to both of her cards(taking in mind the juju i suggested)

3)also suggested she get 2 more ranks of an epic after promotion roughly 48ish?

wondering what other things would be appropriate? should she get a drain? something new like if she hits an enemy she reduces their resistance and armor for 2-3 turns? idk I do like her but since the majority of people that have her tend to consider her in lowest tier of helpfulness, I feel she does need a goodie of some kind.. what things would you add?

plus what kind of promotion would be appropriate? should she just be gold promo? or maybe a fun side quest bringing you into depths of haunted skyway again? Avernus? maybe unlock a side area currently unused? isle of muertos and gypsies? haunted churchyard? idk lots going through my brain now I wish I'd have thought of before xD

stormy jen silver

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
witchdoctor of awe... on Mar 26, 2017 wrote:
Conrad is a good tank, also her mine + scratch can easily take out enemies half health, it's basically a weaker version of blood flames that everyone can get. I consider her a good female companion, but I agree with you on Quinn

I have never liked Melee Witchdoctors, no promotions either, i believe they need to switch her class to privateer and give her more accurate, because she isn't really that great right now.
You raise an issue that confused me from the time I got her. She is a witch doctor with a spell, but it is not a witch type drain or attack. It's a very privateer heal. She DOES seem like she should be a privateer. Maybe Stormy Jen is right that it has to do with Agility as her second strong trait.

I seem to recall forum discussions early in the game, as we discovered some crew members had much less abilities than others. I forget who it was, but one of the KI staff said that was intentional that some of the crew not be as gifted as others, and also not be big talkers in the game. Since that time, there were big changes to the crew mechanics (not having to heal crew after fights, introduction of crew tasks and bed rest). They may have rethought the potentials of some of the weaker crew. Maybe we can hope for a surprise on promoting Quinn or the crazy Monquistan etc. sometime in the future. If so, maybe her Witch doctor status will make more sense.

I trained Quinn in first strike, flanking, vengeance strike, and relentless, 4 will, 4 spooky (thought she would have more spell powers), 1aglie, 4 dodge. I think I regret the vengeance strike, because she tends to get damaged more from Bucks with it. I tried her again in Florenza against some crabs. She managed to survive the fight, when Subodai died. I was wondering how she would be with 3 first strikes, and maybe flanking or relentless. Flanking doesn't seem too bad on her, letting you choose for the extra attack to happen or not, and sometimes the enemy walks into it. If they do, and she's in trouble, the extra hit might save her then. Anyone tried those combos?
I'd be fine with a gold promotion for her. If a quest, I'd send her to a crane monk in MS and back to the Cool Ranch doctor. Maybe she'd be curing Monquistans of Banana Fever.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 25, 2017 wrote:
Leech Storm Attack! A cloud of leeches are propelled onto the enemy ( yuck! Remember The African Queen? Pass the salt! )
Oh God I was scared to go in the water for like a month after seeing that movie!

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
Calamity Finch on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:
You raise an issue that confused me from the time I got her. She is a witch doctor with a spell, but it is not a witch type drain or attack. It's a very privateer heal. She DOES seem like she should be a privateer. Maybe Stormy Jen is right that it has to do with Agility as her second strong trait.

I seem to recall forum discussions early in the game, as we discovered some crew members had much less abilities than others. I forget who it was, but one of the KI staff said that was intentional that some of the crew not be as gifted as others, and also not be big talkers in the game. Since that time, there were big changes to the crew mechanics (not having to heal crew after fights, introduction of crew tasks and bed rest). They may have rethought the potentials of some of the weaker crew. Maybe we can hope for a surprise on promoting Quinn or the crazy Monquistan etc. sometime in the future. If so, maybe her Witch doctor status will make more sense.

I trained Quinn in first strike, flanking, vengeance strike, and relentless, 4 will, 4 spooky (thought she would have more spell powers), 1aglie, 4 dodge. I think I regret the vengeance strike, because she tends to get damaged more from Bucks with it. I tried her again in Florenza against some crabs. She managed to survive the fight, when Subodai died. I was wondering how she would be with 3 first strikes, and maybe flanking or relentless. Flanking doesn't seem too bad on her, letting you choose for the extra attack to happen or not, and sometimes the enemy walks into it. If they do, and she's in trouble, the extra hit might save her then. Anyone tried those combos?
I'd be fine with a gold promotion for her. If a quest, I'd send her to a crane monk in MS and back to the Cool Ranch doctor. Maybe she'd be curing Monquistans of Banana Fever.
so to test this yesterday early morning in live realm Pirate101 I bought Nurse Quinn for my witchdoctor, since my witch was max i now have a level 72 nurse quinn.. she was not allowed to train any more ranks of first strike(kinda a bummer) only had the one she initially came with, i gave mine vengeance 2 relentless 1(cannot unlock rank 3 of anything) as far as regular talents i gave her spooky 4, will 4, accuracy 2 tough 4.. interesting when i cast raven's cry on her she gains first strike and riposte.. though i gave her 0 rough her bag acts like its boosted with spooky as if it were a wand instead of a melee smashy.. scratch easily boosts her heal to nice proportions and yet the number on the rouse card was sometimes less when she casted it? i found that a bit strange tbh.. example at one point she carries 2 of scratches boosts making her rouse 1295, but once cast it was only 1165? and that was after scratch(one turn before hers) cast his third spooky boost.. her range for casting a heal seems worse than a pets.. 1 square only.. mojo blast could work wonders on her if was allowed to be trained or came with a promo.. her heal seemed to fluctuate as well as her damage, relentless never triggered either though during the 45 minutes i goofed off in mooshu she never missed.. I plan on doing way more testing before I make a judgement, but in all honesty seems a bit odd with the fluctuation in damage even when not boosted or not considering any criticals.. I wanted to make sure i had her before next pirate101 test realm opened so i could properly test and if need be submit any bug reports in there..

stormy jen silver

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Wow Stormy Jen, you went above and beyond buying her for your witch doctor! Really disappointed to hear we can't get more first strike on her, or 3 of anything. There were some swashbuckler mobs in Florenza with 3 first strike making them threats, and I thought I was on to something. I'm glad to hear the spooky I gave her was not for nothing if it is boosting both her heal and her weapon. I thought that was stronger because of the will boost, but I don't know the ins and outs of the witch class very well.
On the thread about the crab hermit, I speculated that I can't boost the crab and Quinn very well, and that might be the problem swashbucklers have with them. It sounds like Quinn likes being on your crew better, and gets good, if erratic, amounts of damage in. If I team up with a witch doctor I think I might give them more of a try. I noticed when I run with a privateer, I can get Catbeard working a lot harder, and my Buck can really help others with bucks on their crew.
I look forward to hearing how the testing goes with Quinn.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
stormyjensilverdra... on Mar 29, 2017 wrote:
so to test this yesterday early morning in live realm Pirate101 I bought Nurse Quinn for my witchdoctor, since my witch was max i now have a level 72 nurse quinn.. she was not allowed to train any more ranks of first strike(kinda a bummer) only had the one she initially came with, i gave mine vengeance 2 relentless 1(cannot unlock rank 3 of anything) as far as regular talents i gave her spooky 4, will 4, accuracy 2 tough 4.. interesting when i cast raven's cry on her she gains first strike and riposte.. though i gave her 0 rough her bag acts like its boosted with spooky as if it were a wand instead of a melee smashy.. scratch easily boosts her heal to nice proportions and yet the number on the rouse card was sometimes less when she casted it? i found that a bit strange tbh.. example at one point she carries 2 of scratches boosts making her rouse 1295, but once cast it was only 1165? and that was after scratch(one turn before hers) cast his third spooky boost.. her range for casting a heal seems worse than a pets.. 1 square only.. mojo blast could work wonders on her if was allowed to be trained or came with a promo.. her heal seemed to fluctuate as well as her damage, relentless never triggered either though during the 45 minutes i goofed off in mooshu she never missed.. I plan on doing way more testing before I make a judgement, but in all honesty seems a bit odd with the fluctuation in damage even when not boosted or not considering any criticals.. I wanted to make sure i had her before next pirate101 test realm opened so i could properly test and if need be submit any bug reports in there..

stormy jen silver
How did further testing go? Any new conclusions?