Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 5: More Musings

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
MarleybonePatriot on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Again, you don't know, and, sadly, you are wrong. Both the Valencia info page and Blind Mew confirmed that what is happening in Aragon is an isolated situation. The majority of Valencia continues on, unaware of the Armada's evil, embroiled in their grudges, politics, and economics. The Armada is still generally seen as the heroes and protectors of the world.

There's a difference between plot twists which have some logic to them, and illogical events which simply cannot happen. Please, learn that difference.
Somehow, someway, the other Valencians outside of Aragon may need to know the Armada's true intentions. They're bound to find out sooner or later.

I'm pretty sure I know the difference between illogical events and plot twists. No comparison needed. You speak your opinions, I speak my own.

Ensign
Jul 16, 2008
anecorbie on May 10, 2014 wrote:
I can answer 3. and 4.
The map pieces the Armada has are two: the one from Marco Pollo's tomb and Egg Fu Yung's piece. We have three pieces now the piece from Captain Gunn's treasure, Christopher Clark's piece ( Cool Ranch ) and later in Aquila we gain a piece ( I don't want to say more, in case its a spoiler for you.)

Yes Phule escaped from Fort Elena.
Oh, I know about the giant guy in the picture's background. Thanks for clearing up the map for me, by the way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
genericpirate786 on May 11, 2014 wrote:
Oh, I know about the giant guy in the picture's background. Thanks for clearing up the map for me, by the way.
I think I can help with question 2, also.

If by meeting you mean 'talking to'. The answer is yes. There's a quest called "The Temple Circuit", it is given by an Eagle in the High Temple ( forgot his name ). When you complete the quest you will have spoken to all the Immortals and gain clues to your fate!

Lots of prisoners escaped Fort Elena, I wouldn't be surprised to meet Captain Fowl again!

Petty Officer
Aug 27, 2010
Serpent10611 on May 9, 2014 wrote:
Don't worry, I'm not offended; everyone's entitled to their opinion. But you know how it is with this kind of social media; it's difficult to tell whether someone is being helpful or hurtful. To me, it just seemed like you were replying in a slightly arrogant tone, though I'm sure you didn't intend it that way. You still have my consent to illuminate the flaws, but at least include the pros on my part so I know you're not just another "hater".
Well, if we're gonna list some positives, it stops making the Armada cliche. Instead of it being 'just evil', blah blah blah, 'wants to destroy the world', blah blah blah, it gives the Armada more...human and logical reasons for it's goals. Also, a 'Beaksmark Alternative' opens up the opportunity to negotiate, trade, or bargain with the Armada. Remember, the Armada is still needed as a military force, so the Pirates need to somehow make it work for the good of Valencia again.

Speaking of forces and the 'good of the realm', what if our pirate, instead of just being a courier and messenger between all these shadowy, criminal organizations becomes one of their leaders? Say Egg Foo Yung dies of old age (which makes sense, since we know Clark is dead), and passes control of the Yakooza to us? What if we become the new 'Frogfather', or take control of Avery's Pirate Republic?

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
MarleybonePatriot on May 11, 2014 wrote:
Well, if we're gonna list some positives, it stops making the Armada cliche. Instead of it being 'just evil', blah blah blah, 'wants to destroy the world', blah blah blah, it gives the Armada more...human and logical reasons for it's goals. Also, a 'Beaksmark Alternative' opens up the opportunity to negotiate, trade, or bargain with the Armada. Remember, the Armada is still needed as a military force, so the Pirates need to somehow make it work for the good of Valencia again.

Speaking of forces and the 'good of the realm', what if our pirate, instead of just being a courier and messenger between all these shadowy, criminal organizations becomes one of their leaders? Say Egg Foo Yung dies of old age (which makes sense, since we know Clark is dead), and passes control of the Yakooza to us? What if we become the new 'Frogfather', or take control of Avery's Pirate Republic?
Much better
True, Beaksmark does give 'logical reason' instead of the whole 'just evil' junk. Whether he'll be open to negotiation, trade, or bargaining depends on if he's equally stubborn as Napoleguin, though. As for our pirate becoming leader of a major organization, I think that will only happen in our final revolt against the Armada and, maybe, if we ourselves gain control of the Armada; at which point we could gain the badge "Armada Admiral" and "Savior of the Spiral".
BTW, I attempted to open this discussion up on a new threat called "Behind the Armada". When and if that thread opens, we can continue there.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well... now that the newest update has gone Live, I'm predicting that Blind Mew is going to request One-Eyed Jack to lock this Story Thread, move it to Blind Mew's Musings archive, and we get Story Thread 6 later on, am I correct? I'm just guessing that he's very busy, like I already that know he is, due to the game's recent update going Live and all, so it's probably inevitable, anyway. And the title for the next story thread I thought of would be called, to quote the name of the previous newsletter teasers through the months, "Completely Barmy".

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Trimond297 on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Sure it is... if you call much of the living Valencians cowering under the Armada's eyes as they witness their mechanical creations tear their world's numerous floating islands apart, steal their precious works of art and literature, pleading for hope, and trying to make a living while trying to not to get them sent to Cadiz that will get Kane's attention and being confined there quite fine, then by all means, Valencia should be doing quite fine. I was joking, by the way. Remember, Blind Mew said that we've only seen a part of what the Armada's doing to Valencia when we visited that world for the first time, and by the time we make another trip to Valencia to find the Toymaker... well, you'll find that the situation in Valencia is willing to be much... much worse than what we thought, and it's willing to be beyond what we saw in the Aragon Skyway. Believe me. I know.

I'm just thinking of possible plot twists to spice up the game's main storyline, you know? You can't oust that happening. Don't deny it.
The majority of Valencia isn't aware of the evil behind the Armada. They see the Armada as their military force that is doing its best to continue making Valencia rise in power and get rid of piracy. The Armada must appeal to the public in some way and it seems we've visited a portion of Valencia that was aware of what harm the Clockwork Armada is doing.

Ensign
May 17, 2009
With the new update live a certain 10 story tower in Mooshu has made an appearance. I realize this is probably gonna be a "That would be telling" kinda thing but what is it for!? :P Also if you can't answer that can you at the very least tell us if the quest for it is already out or if it's a teaser for something to come.

Thanks!
Sincerely, Fearless Jacob Jones lvl 65

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Blind Mew, more questions involving Valencia, if you do not mind.

1: So we know that there is far, far more to Valencia than just Clockworks/Armada and robotic things. Does this mean we can visit some Kingdoms or a foresty areas in Valencia or something like this? I mean, this world is Gorgeous! Yet there isn't really much beautiful scenery, mainly because of the Armada, but secondly because we haven't visited all of Valencia. Steed's Villa is closest as we can get with some nature around in Valencia, so far. (Granchia also has some grassy parts)

2: There's not much in Aragon skyway, especially in the huge land areas, it's all empty. Not even a single decoration on it. Why exactly is it empty? Will Aragon skyway extend with more places to visit when we head back into Valencia? I mean, it's very barren, is there a reason why?

3: Like Skull Island, Valencia has many skyways. You guys have planned 2 more visits to Valencia as planned. How long are we to stay in Valencia for these 2 parts? I have the feeling it'll be much longer than the last time we visited.

4: What is it with those pics of a city in Valencia that we haven't been to yet? Why exactly have you posted that there and have us see a city that we have not yet been to? (It's like Venice, hehe!) How long has that even been there, anyways?

That is all my questions. You're very busy, so i'll be patient. But I hope you can answer these before Book 15 comes out! Otherwise it'll be too little, too late.

Petty Alicia Cog

Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
Mario, I'm not Blind Mew, but I can answer your second question. If you've been to Granchia, then you know that it is being destroyed by the Armada in order to gain materials to fuel the Machine. This is what probably what happened to other islands in the skyway. The question is, as Historian Constanza puts it: "What will happen when Aragon is empty? And when Valencia is empty? It's unthinkable!" The whole of the Spiral may be in danger. Can we pirates stop it?

Petty Officer
Jun 06, 2009
Blind Mew on May 7, 2014 wrote:
@Elemutation
1. Ratbeard's eye: In our new rouge's gallery it was explained how Ratbeard lost his leg, and you explained in an earlier question of mine about his hook hand, but what happened to his eye? that patch has been there since the beginning. And a side note, how old is he? He looks older, mostly because of the beard, but he seems pretty agile for an older guy, especially one with half his limbs and only one eye.

Ratbeard is pretty old. As to how he lost his eye, that has yet to be revealed, and I'm loath to define it until we need to.

2. Are there certain worlds with no stormgates? This one's pretty basic, but are there any really isolated worlds that only wizard doors can reach?
I expect so - likewise, I'm sure there are some worlds without Spiral doors...

3.How do Pirates teleport? this is one I just realized, but seems quite strange. Wizards have magic, and i guess witchdoctors do, but how does, say a swashbuckler teleport? also, with skull island to anywhere in the spiral teleportation, home to anywhere teleportation, Transportalators, AND the new mark and recall, is smuggling even relevant in a piracy career if you can just flash anywhere?

There's quite a lot at play here, actually. As committed as we are to our story and narrative, I will be the first to admit that we are a game first and foremost - if the gameplay becomes a barrier to fun, it doesn't matter how good our story is. Teleporting to home, Skull Island, Life Fountain, etc. and Mark and recall can all be justified in story terms by simply saying "okay, you go there" - there's no need for the movie to show every second of people driving.

Mark and recall, in particular, is a point we've conceded since launch - originally we thought "they're not wizards: they should have to travel." But when we realized the lack of mark and recall was preventing players from going to help their friends, that was unacceptable. Community trumps story logic. Besides, we have talking Dogs - logic has limits.
Our pets can all teleport (it's a secret skill they have) and whenever we want to teleport, they do it and take us along with them. They've been able to connect to life fountains, home, and Avery's Court forever, but they needed to promote to advanced pets to use mark and recall. Think about it, advanced pets come out, and suddenly, we have mark and recall. Coincidence? I think not!
-Brave Samantha Nightingale lvl 65
-Stormy Nikita Nightingale lvl 24
-Sneaky Sarai Nightingale lvl 10

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Spectral Evidence on May 17, 2014 wrote:
With the new update live a certain 10 story tower in Mooshu has made an appearance. I realize this is probably gonna be a "That would be telling" kinda thing but what is it for!? :P Also if you can't answer that can you at the very least tell us if the quest for it is already out or if it's a teaser for something to come.

Thanks!
Sincerely, Fearless Jacob Jones lvl 65
Welcome to the message boards Jacob. Yes you be now part of the pirate secret busters mystery mission for this particular perplexity.

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
ordeith on May 19, 2014 wrote:
Mario, I'm not Blind Mew, but I can answer your second question. If you've been to Granchia, then you know that it is being destroyed by the Armada in order to gain materials to fuel the Machine. This is what probably what happened to other islands in the skyway. The question is, as Historian Constanza puts it: "What will happen when Aragon is empty? And when Valencia is empty? It's unthinkable!" The whole of the Spiral may be in danger. Can we pirates stop it?
Ooh, I see. But I do wish there was more content to this world...I understand it is being destroyed by the armada, but do you think you predict about question 1 I have? I mean, i'd LOVE to see some forest or kingdom around in Valencia in a huge landmass. Surely there HAS to be some kingdoms out there remaining. I mean, I would love to see some more nature.

Ensign
Oct 15, 2011
Hey Blind Mew! Thank you for all of the fun new content in the latest update- and thank you especially for the five plus minutes I spent giggling at the name "Admiral Prawn" (although I am a bit sad "But... it was so artistically done" didn't find its way into the script).

Petty Officer
Jun 02, 2013
ive herd of a place called xol amul how do you get there? and are there any living aztectasaurs? and if there are, if it is it in skull island, why did they come back? And also why did they leave the first time?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
musketer592 on May 21, 2014 wrote:
ive herd of a place called xol amul how do you get there? and are there any living aztectasaurs? and if there are, if it is it in skull island, why did they come back? And also why did they leave the first time?
Go to Traitors Cave in Blood Shoals and talk to Lasko, he will get you started.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
Hello again, Mew.
I hope you got a chance to see the plot idea I made halfway down page 7 of this thread (and I also opened the discussion on the thread 'Behind the Armada' in The Tavern). Anyway, I have several questions, and possibilities, about certain minor plot points in the game, some of which you've preferred to keep vague.
  1. The Magnificent Seven-Some members of the seven don't like Duck Holiday because of something he did in the past and the gunsmith horse said he swore that he would never make another peacemaker again after what happened to Wyatt. Could Duck Holiday have accidentally shot Wyatt with a peacemaker, perhaps in a fight either with each other or against an enemy?
  2. Blind Mew (NPC)-Could Mew have been a veteran of the Polarian War? I know there's not really much to hint to this, but Mew could have been blinded by spark thrower in the war. Perhaps he was once in the Marleybonean Navy and, after his blinding, may have been used as an informant in the Marleybone colonies in Skull Island.
  3. Ratbeard and Catbeard-It's clear they have a bone to pick with each other, Ratbeard even asks if he's "still a stinkin' coward". Could Catbeard have worked alongside Ratbeard in a past raid or smuggling scheme and Catbeard just fled when it went horribly wrong?
  4. The Humans-Is it possible that some of the humans in the pirating world are a different race than the humans in the wizarding world? In W101 the humans have the normal human hand while in P101 some humans only have 3 fingers and a thumb. I doubt one was just cut off because it's with both hands and there's no evidence on the hands to suggest that a forth finger was ever present.
  5. The Wizards-This is a future thought. Is it possible that we could meet a wizard from Wizard City? Not necessarily going to a wizarding world, but at least meeting a friendly wizarding necromancer (better wizard school to place as a witchdoctor).
  6. The Sharks-Another idea. We know of at least 4 clans. I'd love to see a frilled shark based clan.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Serpent10611 on May 31, 2014 wrote:
Hello again, Mew.
I hope you got a chance to see the plot idea I made halfway down page 7 of this thread (and I also opened the discussion on the thread 'Behind the Armada' in The Tavern). Anyway, I have several questions, and possibilities, about certain minor plot points in the game, some of which you've preferred to keep vague.
  1. The Magnificent Seven-Some members of the seven don't like Duck Holiday because of something he did in the past and the gunsmith horse said he swore that he would never make another peacemaker again after what happened to Wyatt. Could Duck Holiday have accidentally shot Wyatt with a peacemaker, perhaps in a fight either with each other or against an enemy?
  2. Blind Mew (NPC)-Could Mew have been a veteran of the Polarian War? I know there's not really much to hint to this, but Mew could have been blinded by spark thrower in the war. Perhaps he was once in the Marleybonean Navy and, after his blinding, may have been used as an informant in the Marleybone colonies in Skull Island.
  3. Ratbeard and Catbeard-It's clear they have a bone to pick with each other, Ratbeard even asks if he's "still a stinkin' coward". Could Catbeard have worked alongside Ratbeard in a past raid or smuggling scheme and Catbeard just fled when it went horribly wrong?
  4. The Humans-Is it possible that some of the humans in the pirating world are a different race than the humans in the wizarding world? In W101 the humans have the normal human hand while in P101 some humans only have 3 fingers and a thumb. I doubt one was just cut off because it's with both hands and there's no evidence on the hands to suggest that a forth finger was ever present.
  5. The Wizards-This is a future thought. Is it possible that we could meet a wizard from Wizard City? Not necessarily going to a wizarding world, but at least meeting a friendly wizarding necromancer (better wizard school to place as a witchdoctor).
  6. The Sharks-Another idea. We know of at least 4 clans. I'd love to see a frilled shark based clan.
I can answer some of these questions:
1.Mew did say that he wanted to leave Wyatt's death vague,and I'm respecting that.Though,I think your theory is pretty interesting...
2.Blind Mew is blind because in his youth,he was reading in the dark.This went even further when Mew had to read Avery's handwriting,which is as worse as mine
And there's a slight chance Mew works for Special Branch(he's certainly a useful bundle of information)
3.Catbeard and Ratbeard were associates,until Catbeard tricked Ratbeard.Though,like Wyatt's death,Mew is trying to leave this vague:whatever happened,it happened,and now they are both on your crew,and they better learn to cooperate.
4.I do not know the answer to this,this is purely for Mew to answer.Though,I have a feeling we do not know the full story behind the origin of humans.
5.We might.It's certainly a possibility(even Candyland is a possibility).
6.A very interesting idea.I really like the way you think.Hopefully we'll see more sharks.
These are all very interesting questions,thanks for asking them and hopefully I've helped!

Ensign
Sep 15, 2009
Hey Blind Mew, I have some questions.

1. Will there still be a new world even though we had the new amazing pet update this year?

2. Will we ever return to aquila in future books?

3. Is KI ever going to recycle the wizard101 aquila music for pirate101 aquila? Its really epic!

Ensign
Apr 28, 2010
Blind Mew on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
@Noble Arthur Fairl...
(sorry, I couldn't seem to get the rest of your name)

do you have any other doc who refferences
Yup! We don't go as far as Wizard has, but there are more than a few in Marleybone. In fact, there's one in the War Golem quest line that I haven't seen get raised in the threads yet. i wonder if we got it by y'all...
I think I got it, it's a reference to the type 40s innit?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
The Sharknado on Jun 4, 2014 wrote:
Hey Blind Mew, I have some questions.

1. Will there still be a new world even though we had the new amazing pet update this year?

3. Is KI ever going to recycle the wizard101 aquila music for pirate101 aquila? Its really epic!
I'll pitch in with my answer,though, I highly doubt that I'll do anything satisfying...
I am NOT a kingsisle employee,and thus I don't know the schedule.I do know that Blind Mew doesn't talk schedule...but the updates were amazing,weren't they?

Odds are we're gonna go back to Aquila for a promotion quest or two.Mew did mention that there was something cut out of the main storyline of Aquila,that might be back(possibly as a stand alone dungeon).
And finally,Kingsisle is always looking for ways to make us revisit old worlds.Notice how in the middle of Cool Ranch,we have to get Grumwort from Skull Island?
And we might get back there as part of the main storyline...
It is epic!But Mew's job is:naming stuff in-game,writing tutorial tips,writing quest goals,writing '' visions '',writing quest dialogue,writing promotion quests etc. but explosions,sighs,moans,screams,voices,questions,yammers,bangs,slashes,smashes,blasts,whooshes booms...and beautiful melodies are all part of Sarah Steele's department.I think you should ask her!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
CaptainBunny093 on May 9, 2014 wrote:
A few questions, if you have the time, Blind Mew?
1) Have you ever thought about making the Commander Davis battle a little more..... possible to solo at level 50-52? When I do it, I always die and need a friend or two to help. And when I'm on, my friends are busy elsewhere and I'm stuck on the quest for a week at level 50!
2) For the new updates, why did you shrink the free play content. Now you can really only go to level 5 after doing the Fin thing and then Xol Akmul. Maybe you should put it back at the Presidio (which is now at level 9-10)
3) I think it would be cool to add Grizzlehiem to Pirate101! Maybe even after El Dorado.
4) What is your favorite world in Pirate101? Mine is Valencia
5) Will we ever see you in game in other ports later in game?
1)Windstones are precious,finite,expensive commodity in the Spiral.While just about any Marleybonean privateer has a violet windstone(which is very weak),I'm sure that a red one would be one of a kind!A yellow one seems to be the third strongest windstone,and there's only one in all of Port Regal!Did you honestly think it was gonna be easy?

That being said,the difficulty of instances is not Mew's department.

2)They were trying to expand the free-to-play content,and make something similar to Wizard City's three streets.Mew already answered this one so I'm just going to copy it,okay?
Blind Mew:Counter-intuitive as it may seem, there is such a thing as too much free to play. Our experience with Wizard has shown that you can lose players if they wander away before you ask them to invest in the game. Our metrics were showing that the first pay gate was too far in. So we moved it, and I think we made the right decision. That said (man, that's like my new catch phrase!), the treatment of that first gate is not yet optimal - in the new update the first paygate and the whole free-to-play experience are going to get a lot of attention, and I think the results are really cool!

3)It would be an awesome world,especially for the pirates who were raised there.That said,we aren't visiting Grizzleheim to find Erika the Red,but who's to say some other occasion won't bring us there?

4)Mew has stated that he is particularly proud of Marleybone,and how they handled such heavy themes,without,you know,losing the kid-friendly MMO label.
5.)That would be great.Mew has a very very very very very fast skiff.I once talked to Mew in Port Regal,asking for information on Iago.He told me to go to Scrimshaw,and when I found him there,long before me,I had a feeling the old beggar smuggled himself onto my ship.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
genericpirate786 on May 10, 2014 wrote:
Instead of debating about Polaris, I'll ask questions. It's a miracle, I know.
1. Why didn't you reference Brother Bear as one of the totem spirits?
2. Will we ever meet Zeus? We kind of meet Ares in a way.
3. What map pieces do the Armada have and what ones do we have? I got really confused with Cool Ranch's piece.
4. Is there any chance that Phule escaped Fort Elena like the Brass Monkey?
5. Speaking of him, does the Brass Monkey still want revenge? If so, will we fight him again?
I think I can answer some of them,and just comment on others.
1.I would have loved that.Mew,what didn't you?
2.Hmmm...I wonder too.
3.Pollo made the map,tore it into seven pieces that he handed it out to his crew:

a.The first piece was given to a young ensign named Catbeard.Now he is a seasoned pirate!He lost it in a bet to Gunn.When Gunn died,he buried it with him.We recovered it in Gunn's treasure.

b.Pollo kept a piece for himself,like Gunn,taking it to the grave.The Armada came and took it,after doing a lot of research on where Pollo's map could have been

c.Christopher Clark was an old friend of Marco's.He,like Pollo,is dead.He hid his map piece in Scorpion Rock,and Captain Blood took it.You get the map piece from Blood's lair.

d.Egg Foo Yung had a map piece as well,that General Tso traded to the Armada,in exchange for better arms,and a treaty with Mooshu that would help Valencia in the war

e.Erika the Red is an explorer from Grizzleheim.We do not know where her piece is.

f.Argos had a piece,that Ulysses took and gave back to us.

g.Our mother had a piece,and we are going to have quite the adventure trying to get it!

Does that help?At all?

4.I think Phule has already escaped.Not sure,though
5.It would be weird if we didn't...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Sorry, Blind Mew, if you're already absent, which I know you are right now, but I forgot to say a few little questions about the Duck of Death, about his possible return and the battles in the instance quest, "Showdown at Boot Hill".

If he's willing to return after we defeat him, wouldn't we have to recruit the Free Ranger to our crew? I like him and his involvement with the Duck of Death battle in Book 7, even though he was limited to one battle before the second on his ship, but I really like the Free Ranger's determination to settle his score with the Duck of Death. If there's time for it, I would like to recruit the Free Ranger as one of the new main story Companions in the main storyline someday soon. He may hear of tales he's not heard of and face challenges & enemies he's not faced before...

Speaking of the Duck of Death and Free Ranger, shouldn't English Bill take Tonka to his ship and have the Free Ranger follow us to his ship, battle English Bill again, free Tonka and destroy the barrels that destroys his ship and defeat him again and leave the ship before it explodes & talking to Tonka after the battle? I would really like for Free Ranger and Tonka to be more involved in the "Showdown at Boor Hill" instance quest sometime soon.

One thing, Blind Mew, if you're not sure about how the P101 team is going to pull off a Puppet Show musical, from what you said before, then that's fine with me. I had thoughts and I was excited about it, but I would like to see one happen someday. No pressure in doing one, but that doesn't mean it's not worth giving it a try. Just saying that you and the team would think of giving it a shot one day. Like how the people said, "There's a first time for everything".

Thanks once again for answering!

Ensign
Apr 28, 2010
Toa of Light on Jun 4, 2014 wrote:
I think I got it, it's a reference to the type 40s innit?
Wait no, it's that the golems say Eradicate! which is a reference to the Daleks, who say Exterminate!