Why did they add wounded companions?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 30, 2013
25
I'm in Marlybone and I have a huge problem my companions are fainting and get wounded for hours.
It is NOT at all helpful and makes Marlybone hard for me.

Why do you think they added this?

Is it just me?

TheAwesome847

lvl58

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Probably because it makes it a little harder and so if you don't take of the crew in battle there is a consequence.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
May 06, 2011
196
The Awesome Flyer on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
I'm in Marlybone and I have a huge problem my companions are fainting and get wounded for hours.
It is NOT at all helpful and makes Marlybone hard for me.

Why do you think they added this?

Is it just me?

TheAwesome847

lvl58
They added it so it adds more experience, and they added Miracle Mitch as well to help. This annoys me too and probably everyone but I think it teaches us patience. I mean, how would your companion get back up, all healthy in one second after he gets beat up by lots of cat thugs? o_O

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
35
No one knows. We all know it just makes our questing much harder than it needs to be, Trust me. Once you hit Aquila, They take about 6-7 hours to revive. But, I guess it's because it makes pirates stay on their toes, and be a tad more responsible and not just send your companions out to die because you know they can just randomly come back. Sooo yup, it's just for extra challenge. ...

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1310
The same update give us lots of boosts, so bottom line it was done to help balance the boost to companions and pets they gave us. I like it because it encourages you to use a wider variety of crew than before.

Also, now I feel it more when someone goes out of action. So I work harder to prevent it from happening!

Basically, it makes the game more challenging, which I think is not a bad thing.

-Indigo

Ensign
Apr 30, 2013
25
Thanks

You do need patience but it is no the worst thing!

See on the Skyways!

Smart Aedan Zest

P.S Sorry I did the wrong name before!

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
48
Just my opinion, but I think it was to make people use more of their companions and to create a gold sink.

Ensign
Dec 16, 2012
2
The new mechanics weren't added to force people to use more of them, or a greater variety. I've heard that excuse before, especially in discussions about bed rest, and it's silly. For those who were around here about three years ago, the old mechanics gave you plenty of incentive to shower some love on your full roster because there was always a random chance you'd find any of them joining you in battle. So they took THAT system away to force us to more variety? No one is that contrary.

The new system, with bed rest, wounding, and fewer companions, is focused one thing - that little black paper doll in your roster that KI wants you to fill with a crown purchased henchman. And, contrarily, no matter how often that one dies, he can always be repurchased at full health from the shop - even during the same combat. So enough with the silliness about forcing people to use their roster (why would they care? You're having fun within the rules, that's all that matters...), or not using companions willy nilly (if you use them stupidly, and tank your fights as a result, that's your problem, you'll get the message), it's about the money, as it always is around here.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8875
Silastrus on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
The new mechanics weren't added to force people to use more of them, or a greater variety. I've heard that excuse before, especially in discussions about bed rest, and it's silly. For those who were around here about three years ago, the old mechanics gave you plenty of incentive to shower some love on your full roster because there was always a random chance you'd find any of them joining you in battle. So they took THAT system away to force us to more variety? No one is that contrary.

The new system, with bed rest, wounding, and fewer companions, is focused one thing - that little black paper doll in your roster that KI wants you to fill with a crown purchased henchman. And, contrarily, no matter how often that one dies, he can always be repurchased at full health from the shop - even during the same combat. So enough with the silliness about forcing people to use their roster (why would they care? You're having fun within the rules, that's all that matters...), or not using companions willy nilly (if you use them stupidly, and tank your fights as a result, that's your problem, you'll get the message), it's about the money, as it always is around here.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Yes, I've heard this excuse before - the reason KI or any MMO provider implements a change is to take your money and put it in their pockets.
Yet Henchmen came onto the scene before Advanced Companions. The reason Advanced Companions was implemented wasn't to make you use more companions; as you pointed out the random chance % did that; the new companion system was added so that we could have more control over our companions, instead of benching just three, we can prevent use of any companion we don't want to see in battle and they can still be useful to us.
Also wounding and bed rest adds play value ( for me anyway ) by having consequences to bad tactics or careless play.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
330
The Awesome Flyer on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
I'm in Marlybone and I have a huge problem my companions are fainting and get wounded for hours.
It is NOT at all helpful and makes Marlybone hard for me.

Why do you think they added this?

Is it just me?

TheAwesome847

lvl58
Geez...am I the only one who likes this? It has made me better by requiring that I use a better strategy and more carefully consider the companions I take into battle with me. Now I rarely lose companions anymore because I have gotten better at 'managing' my battles. It has also added a degree of difficulty to the game that I find refreshing. Nobody likes to just breeze through a game...do they? If so, might I recommend the online versions of Chutes and Ladders or maybe Candyland. I, for one, enjoy the challenge.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
330
Silastrus on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
The new mechanics weren't added to force people to use more of them, or a greater variety. I've heard that excuse before, especially in discussions about bed rest, and it's silly. For those who were around here about three years ago, the old mechanics gave you plenty of incentive to shower some love on your full roster because there was always a random chance you'd find any of them joining you in battle. So they took THAT system away to force us to more variety? No one is that contrary.

The new system, with bed rest, wounding, and fewer companions, is focused one thing - that little black paper doll in your roster that KI wants you to fill with a crown purchased henchman. And, contrarily, no matter how often that one dies, he can always be repurchased at full health from the shop - even during the same combat. So enough with the silliness about forcing people to use their roster (why would they care? You're having fun within the rules, that's all that matters...), or not using companions willy nilly (if you use them stupidly, and tank your fights as a result, that's your problem, you'll get the message), it's about the money, as it always is around here.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
I'm afraid I must disagree. I have been here since the beginning and I do not believe that your assessment is accurate, but even if money does enter into the equation...so what? Do you offer your services for free? This is one of the best, most well developed games on the planet. I have played lots of games and I say with the utmost confidence that KI has put together one of the greatest all around gaming experiences out there and that doesn't come cheap. The people who are responsible for making this game have bills to pay just like you and me.

Ensign
Dec 16, 2012
2
Spiral Cowboy on Apr 26, 2015 wrote:
I'm afraid I must disagree. I have been here since the beginning and I do not believe that your assessment is accurate, but even if money does enter into the equation...so what? Do you offer your services for free? This is one of the best, most well developed games on the planet. I have played lots of games and I say with the utmost confidence that KI has put together one of the greatest all around gaming experiences out there and that doesn't come cheap. The people who are responsible for making this game have bills to pay just like you and me.
Spiral, I'm not quite sure what your point is if your conclusion is that "if money enters into the equation, so what?" The 'so what' is what I was addressing, the silly notion posted by some that the current mechanics represent some patronizing, or even altruistic, impulse of KI. It's about the money. And as to the bills that need paying and how I value my services...make up your mind. If the money factor is perfectly reasonable to you, then what are you getting defensive about? I didn't ATTACK the subject of my conclusion I merely named it.

But if the point of the new mechanics was to give players more control over their roster, how does extreme bed rest enter into that? The premise of control is that you have an "A" team that you go to. But as they drop and go out of commission for hours on end, you're forced to fall back on companions that are not as favored or developed. And you can be the Pirates101 version of Sun Tzu and still have companions fall because frankly combat is not that deep and if you think it is then you're giving it way more thought than its due. And finally, all that strategizing goes completely out the window if your deep pockets can keep summoning powerful companions until you wear the enemy out. You couldn't even do that under the old system. It's classic pay to win and yes I went there. (attacking the subject now )

I'm a free market capitalist and I fully support a company doing what it can to nurse its bottom line. But contrary to some who regularly white knight these boards, I'm also a classic capitalist who believes you have to make the product appealing else you risk losing customers. And taking players' favored companions out of commission for hours on end is not the way to endear yourself to customers. I've spent a lot of money on this game as a mindless, non-strategic (sorry if that bursts some bubbles) form of fun entertainment. And I'm saying the new mechanics detract from that fun for me. I thought KI should know.

Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
26
Personally, I like the idea of having bed rest for companions. Actually, the entire companion system is very well done in my opinion. It makes me level up multiple companions and keeps things fresh. If one of my companions goes down, I just go "ah well, we'll see Quint in a half-hour... Oh, Hi Barnabus!"

It also helps me to strategize and know my guys weaknesses and strengths. If I'm going up against those Cool Ranch scorpions (STILL the most irritating group of battles for me) I get a high accuracy team. (Quint: attack, Scorpion: Dodge, Quint: relentless, Scorpion: Dodge, Quint: relentless, Scorpion: Dodge, Quint: relentless, Scorpion: Dodge, Me: BLAAAAAAAAAARRRRG!!!) If I'm going up against a group of lesser opponents I do a high damage team to get through it as fast as possible. I love the strategy.

Good job, KI, on companions!
Keep up the great work and thanks for making a game that my family enjoys!

Cautious Daniel Clegg

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
330
Silastrus on Apr 27, 2015 wrote:
Spiral, I'm not quite sure what your point is if your conclusion is that "if money enters into the equation, so what?" The 'so what' is what I was addressing, the silly notion posted by some that the current mechanics represent some patronizing, or even altruistic, impulse of KI. It's about the money. And as to the bills that need paying and how I value my services...make up your mind. If the money factor is perfectly reasonable to you, then what are you getting defensive about? I didn't ATTACK the subject of my conclusion I merely named it.

But if the point of the new mechanics was to give players more control over their roster, how does extreme bed rest enter into that? The premise of control is that you have an "A" team that you go to. But as they drop and go out of commission for hours on end, you're forced to fall back on companions that are not as favored or developed. And you can be the Pirates101 version of Sun Tzu and still have companions fall because frankly combat is not that deep and if you think it is then you're giving it way more thought than its due. And finally, all that strategizing goes completely out the window if your deep pockets can keep summoning powerful companions until you wear the enemy out. You couldn't even do that under the old system. It's classic pay to win and yes I went there. (attacking the subject now )

I'm a free market capitalist and I fully support a company doing what it can to nurse its bottom line. But contrary to some who regularly white knight these boards, I'm also a classic capitalist who believes you have to make the product appealing else you risk losing customers. And taking players' favored companions out of commission for hours on end is not the way to endear yourself to customers. I've spent a lot of money on this game as a mindless, non-strategic (sorry if that bursts some bubbles) form of fun entertainment. And I'm saying the new mechanics detract from that fun for me. I thought KI should know.
Sorry, but your tone seemed to be one that criticized KI for wanting to turn a profit. Also, it was not my conclusion that the new mechanics were motivated by profit. I was indulging your own conclusions and offering an explanation. I still disagree with your statement that the motivation for this is strictly to make more money. It does, in fact, require us to use a better strategy or risk the loss of our companions for a period of time. Maybe KI was addressing a longstanding complaint from some of the more mature players who felt that the game was too easy. Perhaps I can't relate to your dilemma because I haven't experienced this scenario that troubles you so...at least not recently. I actually believe that this game does require strategy. Mine has improved because I don't want to lose companions. The proof that strategy is involved is simply this...since I have refined my tactics I no longer lose companions. So either I'm just getting lucky, or my new strategies and tactics paid off. Also, it's not 'pay to win' because you can achieve the same results without paying. For example,on my Witchdoctor I decided (just for fun) to use nothing but Witchdoctor and Undead companions (which we all know are not in the top tier of companions) and I was still able to solo the game. I enjoy the new mechanics that you dislike because for me it adds another degree of difficulty and realism. Something that I thought was missing.