Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Buccaneer?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 11, 2011
You may be correct upon buccaneers not being the strongest under normal circumstances, but one tiny thing i have on my Bucc changed that.

So I decided Buccaneers needed to do more damage, so i decided to train swashbucker as a secondary. I trained Sneak Attack and Walk In Shadows, then i turned around and got all the shields, Rouse, and Gunnery on my Bucc, and he was OP. If you set up your Bucc right, it works really well.

I have heard before that you can go part way with Swashbuckler and set up a secondary Witchdoctor, and get a Spooky Nature, and train up your base Magic Power, and its pretty good. And for the guy earlier who said Buccaneers need relentless, An axe drop level 65 gives an ability, but instead of having a 50% chance of activating, it is a 100% chance. also it does really good damage, near the best.

Also, its allways important to choose the right companions. A lot of things depend on them in PVP. There are a lot of ways to run your Buccaneer because they are very versatile.

One of my favorite ways to run it is as a Musketeer Run set. Made this one up myself.

Muskeeteer Run:
Bonnie Anne: (Burst Fire 2, Overwatch, Double Tap, Quick Draw), (Rough 4, Accurate 4, Dodgy 4, Agile 4).
Zeena: (Burst Fire 3, Overwatch), (Rough 4, Accurate 4, Tough 4, Agile 4)
Catbeard: (Relentless 2, Riposte, First Strike, Blade Storm) (Rough 4, Tough 4, Spirited 4, Accurate 4)

I will continue this another time.
Lucas Dodger,
Jack Easton,

Ensign
Jul 11, 2011
You can also run Repel Boarders Relentless Catbeard :D

Ensign
Mar 06, 2012
I can't help but notice people saying how weak buccaneers are compared to swashbucklers and how they totally aren't as heavily armored as people thought. Sure they have weaknesses and i can understand that, but if you know how you can always make your pirate stronger. Its all up to you. For example: I made my secondary class of choice swashbuckling which gave me back the grace and finesse the I was missing. The combination of the two (If done right) could make a pirate unstoppable in the end.
The companions for buccaneers are quite helpful and as you level up, even your basic buccaneer attack becomes mighty! (I guess that its sorta like storm in wiz. At first storm may be strong but it fizzles far to often to be fully effective. But if one perseveres storm will stop fizzling and your wizard becomes mighty, destroying enemies with powerful attacks) In some ways perhaps buccaneers can do that too. I think buccaneers are like Pirate101's storm class because of its brute force and bigger weaknesses.Lets go back to what I was saying about the buccaneer's basic attack becoming stronger. Remember that little talent that you get as a buccaneer, I think its about 70 damage with a glancing blow? Remember how it didn't do too much when you began to progress? Well, if you keep pushing, that thing can become your best friend. Here's scenario:
When near the opponent for your attack, you have a mega, epic, or crit attack. He/she rears back for vengeance strike. Afterwards you rear back too, perhaps hitting crit or so as well. Finally you go for the glancing blow and maybe hit crit.In all, your damage was pretty severe, perhaps destroying your opponent in one round.
I know what you are thinking. Impossible! Nah, not really. You'd be surprised how this scenario has happened to me so many times. I am still quite a low lvl (lvl 18) But i think plenty more scenarios like this are in a buccaneer's future.
Buccaneers for life!

Strong Scarlet Silver Lvl 18 buccaneer

Ensign
Apr 03, 2013
buccaneers are the best thing that happened to me

Ensign
Sep 05, 2014
I just love it when I go into rage mode (well at least that's what I call it. It's shorter than saying Turn The Tide.) and have epic/mega blade storms all the way I feel so OP like that.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Buccaneers are awesome. You can really zoom through the quests.

-Darkmoordude

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
Ensign
May 05, 2016
I have a buccaneer and I personally think they are very fun and I think they may be the best class in pirate to date. I also have a privateer :)

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
Tagman5 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
Buccaneers are great! But you need to have some good companions to back you up like Kobe Yojimbo or Bonnie Anne! Toby lvl29
Great point! Totally agree! GO BUCS!

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
orangeapplett on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
I've noticed that not many girls are buccaneers. I am. I'm level 14. LOVE IT!
WHOO! you go girl! I am a buccaneer and Im a girl!!!!

Ensign
Aug 13, 2014
Steampunkered on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
lol

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
Sneaky George Quar... on Dec 22, 2012 wrote:
i chose buccaneer cause of being deadly up close and tanking. i dont like guns. hide and shoot isnt real fighting for me
That's why i chose Buck as well! Usually in games i would choose a long range because I always think I'd fail with close range. Though I don't really like being in the back and being a coward because it never really gave the right feeling of fighting as a ranged class. So i chose Buck and now I'm soon to be level 68 and I have only very few PvE defeats.

Hardy Portia Zest-- one of the very few Women Buccaneers because life has an insane amount of men.

Ensign
Jul 17, 2014
MagicCookie9 on Apr 30, 2015 wrote:
You may be correct upon buccaneers not being the strongest under normal circumstances, but one tiny thing i have on my Bucc changed that.

So I decided Buccaneers needed to do more damage, so i decided to train swashbucker as a secondary. I trained Sneak Attack and Walk In Shadows, then i turned around and got all the shields, Rouse, and Gunnery on my Bucc, and he was OP. If you set up your Bucc right, it works really well.

I have heard before that you can go part way with Swashbuckler and set up a secondary Witchdoctor, and get a Spooky Nature, and train up your base Magic Power, and its pretty good. And for the guy earlier who said Buccaneers need relentless, An axe drop level 65 gives an ability, but instead of having a 50% chance of activating, it is a 100% chance. also it does really good damage, near the best.

Also, its allways important to choose the right companions. A lot of things depend on them in PVP. There are a lot of ways to run your Buccaneer because they are very versatile.

One of my favorite ways to run it is as a Musketeer Run set. Made this one up myself.

Muskeeteer Run:
Bonnie Anne: (Burst Fire 2, Overwatch, Double Tap, Quick Draw), (Rough 4, Accurate 4, Dodgy 4, Agile 4).
Zeena: (Burst Fire 3, Overwatch), (Rough 4, Accurate 4, Tough 4, Agile 4)
Catbeard: (Relentless 2, Riposte, First Strike, Blade Storm) (Rough 4, Tough 4, Spirited 4, Accurate 4)

I will continue this another time.
Lucas Dodger,
Jack Easton,
I would train my buc into musk because the traps so I can stay back before I get hurt.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2011
Buccaneer has kind of fallen under lately. They are lacking in damage compared to the witchdoctor. However, I cannot seem to pull myself away from my Buccaneer.

Petty Officer
Jul 13, 2013
Mordekai on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

If you are a Buccaneer look for ways to boost your STRENGTH
oh mister mordo! what is strength? I mean I keep thinking its weapon power but of course we already have that so I start thinking that it makes your health go down slower but that's will so what is strength? reply soon mister mordo!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Hardy Portia Zest on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
That's why i chose Buck as well! Usually in games i would choose a long range because I always think I'd fail with close range. Though I don't really like being in the back and being a coward because it never really gave the right feeling of fighting as a ranged class. So i chose Buck and now I'm soon to be level 68 and I have only very few PvE defeats.

Hardy Portia Zest-- one of the very few Women Buccaneers because life has an insane amount of men.
I know some very tough female buccaneers.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
Ensign
Jan 03, 2016
Ensign
Oct 17, 2016
I love when I do Whale's Might, followed by Walk in Shadows, and then Vicious Charge. With that sequence, I can easily kill a 1,000 health enemy. Now, when Blade Storm, Vengeance Strike, and Relentless are in play, I can easily kill a 2,000 health enemy.

Definitely makes me feel OP

-Scarlet Devereaux ~Level 53 Buccaneer~

Ensign
Oct 17, 2016
Steampunkered on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
LOL. so true

-Scarlet Devereaux ~Level 53 Buccaneer~
~Esmerelda Devereaux~Level 7 Swashbuckler~
~Isabella Deveraux ~Level 1 Witchdoctor~

Ensign
May 19, 2018
Mordekai on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

If you are a Buccaneer look for ways to boost your STRENGTH
ONE OF MY FAVORITE CLASSES i also like the starting companion

Ensign
Dec 09, 2008
CapnHook70 on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
So I made Level 50 today and thought I would share some thoughts:

My second school was Privateer with one point in Witchdoctor.

The journey was flat out fun! My favorite quest by far was Stormzilla though for quite a while I hated it and complained on the board. It was me not KI; I learned about patience and things about strategy that made the rest of my journey relatively easy. As a tank I was head down and attack for the longest time but at higher levels it is wise in a lot of cases to lay back and let the mobs come to you.

My favorite companions in order are Monkey King, El Toro, Kobe Yojombo and Bonnie Anne. Monkey King is just an amazing companion and I can't imagine getting to 50 without him although I fear he is unique to Bucaneer, I hope not.

I had 3 pets but always used the one I started with, the parakeet. I appreciated the little hits all the way to the end as I will take any damage I can get and more importantly the distraction they cause is so worth it.

I didn't do any side quests but now that I'm 50 I'll go bact to the start and do them. For me it's all about getting every training point I can and I intend to log those quests that give them for my next character which will probably be a Witchdoctor.

Kudos to KI for all the fun and I'm looking for to the next expansion. In the meantime there is so much more I want to do that this game will keep me busy for quite some time.

Lucas
Level 50 Bucaneer
"Kudos to KI for all the fun and I'm looking for to the next expansion. In the meantime there is so much more I want to do that this game will keep me busy for quite some time."

Hahaha, how'd that work out for you buddy?

Ensign
Feb 13, 2013
Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Buccaneers are hard to play, but I enjoy () them thoroughly and it is very rewarding and satisfying when I finish a fight with my . She is my second most advanced character, ready for Shock and Paw, and I have enjoyed her throughout the journey, despite the fact I had to make several to hit on her.

Hopeful Evelyn Nelson