Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Privateer Damage

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
26
Just a quick question:

I am very confused over privateer's damage. Is it off of will or strength? They get the buff if I buff either one. I haven't tried Juju yet, so does it buff will or strength. On my buc I can buff strength twice and my privateer companion gets both buffs and start getting crits a lot. Does this mean they damage by strength?

Is it the enemy's armor or resistance that mitigates a privateer's damage?

If someone could clear this whole thing up for me, I would deeply appreciate it....

Cautious Daniel Clegg
Crazy Warwick Usher

Ensign
Jan 15, 2013
25
I don't have a privateer yet, but I'm pretty sure that their damage comes from will.
As for enemies armor or resistance, there actually isn't resist in Pirate101. There's armor and dodge, so it would be armor.
Hope I helped a little!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
Striving Pilgrim on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Just a quick question:

I am very confused over privateer's damage. Is it off of will or strength? They get the buff if I buff either one. I haven't tried Juju yet, so does it buff will or strength. On my buc I can buff strength twice and my privateer companion gets both buffs and start getting crits a lot. Does this mean they damage by strength?

Is it the enemy's armor or resistance that mitigates a privateer's damage?

If someone could clear this whole thing up for me, I would deeply appreciate it....

Cautious Daniel Clegg
Crazy Warwick Usher
Companions-will

For your pirate the bombs i believe are will while the actual stat for your attacks are based on your weapon

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
242
Generally speaking, the best weapon for us Privateers is a Smashy weapon. These boost of of Strength, and therefore so does our damage. If you are a privateer and you have other Privateer companions, boost will. Will will increase the effectiveness of your heals and magic attacks (i.e: barrages), and increaes your companions damage. My new roster has my top 3 as Marchioness, Lucky Jack, and Kittyscruff who are all Privateers. Boosting their will is easy, as Marchioness also comes with will buffs. Will buffs for companions also increase their epic talent chances and crit chances, which can devastate the enemy depending on your epics.
Go to your character screen and mouse over strength, will, and agility stats for more info on how it affects your damage.
Hope this helped, and hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Reader [like just as in reading books]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9729
Cruel Owen Quarrel on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Generally speaking, the best weapon for us Privateers is a Smashy weapon. These boost of of Strength, and therefore so does our damage. If you are a privateer and you have other Privateer companions, boost will. Will will increase the effectiveness of your heals and magic attacks (i.e: barrages), and increaes your companions damage. My new roster has my top 3 as Marchioness, Lucky Jack, and Kittyscruff who are all Privateers. Boosting their will is easy, as Marchioness also comes with will buffs. Will buffs for companions also increase their epic talent chances and crit chances, which can devastate the enemy depending on your epics.
Go to your character screen and mouse over strength, will, and agility stats for more info on how it affects your damage.
Hope this helped, and hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Reader [like just as in reading books]
Who is Kittyscruff?

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
331
Cruel Owen Quarrel on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Generally speaking, the best weapon for us Privateers is a Smashy weapon. These boost of of Strength, and therefore so does our damage. If you are a privateer and you have other Privateer companions, boost will. Will will increase the effectiveness of your heals and magic attacks (i.e: barrages), and increaes your companions damage. My new roster has my top 3 as Marchioness, Lucky Jack, and Kittyscruff who are all Privateers. Boosting their will is easy, as Marchioness also comes with will buffs. Will buffs for companions also increase their epic talent chances and crit chances, which can devastate the enemy depending on your epics.
Go to your character screen and mouse over strength, will, and agility stats for more info on how it affects your damage.
Hope this helped, and hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Reader [like just as in reading books]
Ok, I don't want to contradict someone who has a maxed out Privy (mine is only level 50), but isn't the best weapon for a Privy be a Slashy Weapon, and then Smashy as a second, or maybe staffy if you really wanted to use your highest base stat.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
Voodoo Cornelius on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Ok, I don't want to contradict someone who has a maxed out Privy (mine is only level 50), but isn't the best weapon for a Privy be a Slashy Weapon, and then Smashy as a second, or maybe staffy if you really wanted to use your highest base stat.
Best weapons for privys

Super support, strictly support with very little offense-wand preferably one with 6 range

The healing tank, gets in the thick of it with your companions, can either deliver the life saving revive or deliver the extra assassin for the kill- dragon axe of doom

The jack of all trades, mostly support but can fight when cornered- raiding tackle

Bonuses like slashy and smashy are nice but as a privy damage isnt our goal, our goal is to take the hits with our high health and support our heavy hitting companions

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
242
anecorbie on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Who is Kittyscruff?
Catbeard xD

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
242
Voodoo Cornelius on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Ok, I don't want to contradict someone who has a maxed out Privy (mine is only level 50), but isn't the best weapon for a Privy be a Slashy Weapon, and then Smashy as a second, or maybe staffy if you really wanted to use your highest base stat.
Hello!

I suppose I should've included that you can really use any weapon you want (the game seems to really encourage Privateers to use Guns for some reason), but since I read somewhere either in the game or on the Privy description that Privateers use Smashy Weapons, I've stuck with that. The main point I was trying to make, though my points are often scrambled and incoherent so I don't blame you if you didn't understand,was that Privateer damage is based off of the weapon you use. My Privateer currently has a Xiphos which does 220 damage and is a Smashy weapon. Combined with other gear, my base damage is 316 which is okay. I just prefer Smashy weapons cause they do a lot of damage, but it really doesn't matter. Staffy weapons are decent but they seem to be the least common weapon and do less damage.. though the magic attacks are pretty sweet.

Also, just because I'm a higher level doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about Privateers. Levels are not an indicator of Superior Knowledge, just experience so I promise I will NEVER dismiss an argument or debate because you are a Lvl 50 :) Personally I think Slashy might be one of the worst since Agility is the lowest Privateer attribute.

So, basically, any weapon is fine but I prefer Smashy because they do lots of damage and items with Strength bonuses are pretty easy to find. I can see why you would say Slashy are better, but I use Hybrids of both. The Xiphos is a Slashy and Smashy, so I get bonuses from both Slashy and Smashy (because I used Buccaneer as a subclass, though I used everyone except for musketeers as a subclass].

Have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Gunnery Enthusiast

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
962
Striving Pilgrim on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Just a quick question:

I am very confused over privateer's damage. Is it off of will or strength? They get the buff if I buff either one. I haven't tried Juju yet, so does it buff will or strength. On my buc I can buff strength twice and my privateer companion gets both buffs and start getting crits a lot. Does this mean they damage by strength?

Is it the enemy's armor or resistance that mitigates a privateer's damage?

If someone could clear this whole thing up for me, I would deeply appreciate it....

Cautious Daniel Clegg
Crazy Warwick Usher
The damage depends on the statistics of the weapon being used. If the weapon depends on Strength, then the Strength of your Privateer will help determine the amount of damage that he/she will do. If the weapon depends on Will, then the Will of your Privateer will help determine the amount of damage that he/she will do. You can see the amount of damage and where it comes from by putting the cursor on the damage amount on the Character sheet (press 'c'). This is one way that i know of that you can compare the damage amounts of different weapons and see where it comes from.

Juju will buff the statistic of the weapon being used.

Armor, Resistance, and Dodge plus any buffs will mitigate any Pirate's or Companion's damage.