Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

An Easy Way to Get Nautical XP?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 19, 2014
I have just entered Aquila (Long time since I bought crowns), and my nautical level is only 43. I can't get any good gear for any Aquilan origin ships, so I am stuck using my Marleybone Galleon. Is there any easy way to get nautical XP? All of the side quests I have been doing don't give much (definitely not enough to level up). So should I try grinding ships? I now have much more time to grind ships because school just ended.

-Careful Jeremy Burke, Level 63 Witchdoctor

PS: I just promoted my Old Scratch. Which Companion should I swap him out for, (Because of the spell power buff), El Toro, Kan Po, or Bonnie Anne?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
autrison12 on Jun 8, 2016 wrote:
I have just entered Aquila (Long time since I bought crowns), and my nautical level is only 43. I can't get any good gear for any Aquilan origin ships, so I am stuck using my Marleybone Galleon. Is there any easy way to get nautical XP? All of the side quests I have been doing don't give much (definitely not enough to level up). So should I try grinding ships? I now have much more time to grind ships because school just ended.

PS: I just promoted my Old Scratch. Which Companion should I swap him out for, (Because of the spell power buff), El Toro, Kan Po, or Bonnie Anne?
Give the "Sailin'" task to any crewmembers you aren't using. Go back to Marleybone and hunt ships. In a few days these points will mount up.
I did Aquila before the Advanced Companions update, I was in a Marleybone Galleon - if you don't mind being boarded, you can hunt ships in Aquila, too. I recommend the Vultures, they are the easiest in those skies.
About Old Scratch
That is a very difficult question to answer, those are all excellent companions and they bring a lot to the battle. I would try a few battles with trading out those companions and see which set up works for you.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013

This is my strategy: I looked in the badge album and determined which combat badges I was missing... defeat X number of Y ... then I went out and looked for ships with those enemies aboard. Engage those in ship-ship combat then board them and finish of the battle hand-to-hand. On the plus side you'll get the XP and drops for hand-to-hand combat plus you'll get nautical XP and you'll add to the kill total for the badge. The down side to this is you won't get Scrip or ship equipment drops.
I did this pretty much all the way to Aquila with my WD and was only a few nautical levels behind him by the time he reached current max character level.
I agree, I found it hard to come by decent Aquila ship equipment. The vendors sell the bottom of the barrel items. Ironically, the best ship equipment drops I've gotten have been the random times I've been heading somewhere and decided to stop to fight an Aquilan ship just for the heck of it. Pounding them with the hope that they'll drop something worthwhile seldom worked for me.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I try to keep my Nautical Level within 2 levels of my Pirate Level (preferably one more than my Pirate Level). The way I do this is by fighting all ships while traveling the Skyways unless I only get 1 Nautical Point per ship or they are too hard. If they are too hard, I go back to the last place I was fighting ships that I could beat and fight there till I go up at least 1 level or more. I also try to fight as many Boss ships (those with named captains) as I can and fight other ships till they regenerate. When my Health gets low (yellow level) and I can't heal with the Wheel's Healing Power, I go to a Windlane and wait there to regenerate Ship's Health. I usually do this while questing which makes it much easier than having to Farm for Nautical Experience.

Don't board the ships to fight them and, if you keep being boarded by them, then I think they are too hard to use my technique. In other words, BLOW them out of the sky. You get at least the same amount of Nautical Experience (if not more), that you get during boarding actions; you can get Scrip depending on which Skyway you are in; and you also have a chance of getting Ship Equipment which you can either use on your ships or sell at either the Bazaar or a Ship Vendor for Gold.

Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
Musketeer companions can learn cannoneer3, so train that up on any you do not use and send them sailing with the rest of your companions that have no battle use.

I do this as soon as I get a new companion and my nautical level generally stays within 4-5 levels of my pirate.

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012

Hi there! I have the same problem as you. I have just entered Aquila on two of my pirates and their nautical level is around 44ish. What I am going to try to do this Saturday (possibly Sunday too depending on how far I get and how busy work is) around 2 -5pm central time is sink some Aquilan ships. I will bring my pirate on my other account who has an Aquila galleon to help. You are more than welcome to join if you are available. I am still using Mooshu skiffs lol. I will be in Avery realm. I plan on hanging around where pluton is or on the side near Achaea just to the right of Talos on the map.

Dandy Zenobia Xirigi
Scarlet Nightingale

Ensign
Jan 19, 2014
I have an even bigger problem now: My privateer, level 21 (doing Castillo Sapo as we speak) has nautical level 9! Even when assigning all companions to sailing (I didn't even gain one level overnight), and using all the other strategies I have seen, the ships in Cool Ranch are DESTROYING me. Is there possibly any other way to gain nautical XP?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
autrison12 on Jun 19, 2016 wrote:
I have an even bigger problem now: My privateer, level 21 (doing Castillo Sapo as we speak) has nautical level 9! Even when assigning all companions to sailing (I didn't even gain one level overnight), and using all the other strategies I have seen, the ships in Cool Ranch are DESTROYING me. Is there possibly any other way to gain nautical XP?
If you never do any ship fighting, you'll never catch up at this rate. The SINGLE best way to raise your nautical level is to battle and sink ships. Even boarding and defeating the crew helps. However, if you cannot bring yourself to get good at sinking enemy ships, you should really do some of these side quests that reward you with Nautical XP:

http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?58294-Nautical-Know-How-Where-to-Get-Nautical-XP-if-You-HATE-Sinking-Ships&highlight=nautical+side+quest

Good Luck!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Go back to Skull Island and Monquista and HUNT SHIPS!

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
If you're confident in your hand-to-hand capabilities you can just go into broadside battle with the intention of allowing the enemy to board your ship. Sail up next to them and let them pound you and hit them with some shots that have a chance to leave damage tokens on their deck. With luck they'll start at reduced health and you only need to finish them off. You'll get Nautical XP, character XP, gold and drops... the only things you won't get this way are scrip and ship equipment. If you concentrate on enemies that count towards a badge or some you need for a quest you can kill several birds with one stone.